IGNORED

No name vs. Brand name, significant for a newer player?

tws1098
Note: This thread is 5248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You are fine with what you have, but I would take them to a club fitter to make sure the lengths and lie angles are appropriate.

I had the exact same problems with box clubs with my being 6'5" tall. The lie angle was way to flat and the grips were too small. Got fitted and it helped tremendously.

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

I've played a set of no name xpc3 mid sized irons for a good 8 years now. They served me well and I will be upgrading next season, but if I didn't intend to spend copious amounts of time at the course next year I would still have them in my bag. If your just starting out I'd focus on taking some lessons and just having fun.

4DX Evolver 10.5 Stiff UST V2
Big Bertha Steelhead Plus 3wood
mp-32 3-pw tt x100's
xtour 56/52deg
feel golf 60 deg lob wedge dual force rossie blade I golf balls

I played with a boxed set until I was fully hooked on the "crack" known as golf . Then I got fitted and built my current bag set up. This way I figure, "it's not the clubs, it's me". and I cant blame the things I need to work on on the clubs.

nike.gifTour
ping.gifG10 Driver 9*
ping.gifG10 3Wood 15.5*ping.gifG10 5Wood 18.5*ping.gifG10 Irons 4- PWping.gifTour Wedges 50*, 56*, 60*odyssey.gifPutter 33" Sabertoothbridgestone.gifBall E6

I've had the same ping eye2 clone irons from Golfsmith for 20 years now. It's easy to get tempted with all the new gear that comes out. Plus the advertisors make it seem like if you don't have the latest club you are screwing your game.

However, I can immediately think of several awesome shots I have hit with my irons. If they are capable of doing it once, they are capable of doing it again. The only reason they don't hit awesome shots everytime is because of me.

I guess, for me, the impetus to upgrade will be when I actually exceed the ability of my clubs and want them to start doing something they can't. Right now I just want them to hit the dang ball . .. and I've seen them do that before :)

Right now I just want them to hit the dang ball . .. and I've seen them do that before :)

LOL, I concur sir!

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

Keep what you have and replace your clubs as you go. That's what I did anyway, started with clones and replaced them here and there as I was able to. I think I have a pretty decent set of clubs now. My game has improved tremendously too. Having name brand clubs tends to put more pressure on you to play better IMHO.

In my RJ bag:

Burner '07 10.5*
Burner '07 3 wood
R7 CGB Max 5 wood Fybrid 19.5* Raylor 22* hybrid Di7 5i-gw FX 55* wedge Tiffany 35" h/s putter

OP, I am going to be arrogant and tell you my personal philosophy. I am a man of modest means, I have spent most of my life as either a Barber or Teacher. I own nice things. Money is too valuable to throw away so I have always bought what I want instead of something like what I want. Value is in the eye of the beholder but also has some quantitative aspects to it too. If what I spent my money on does not make me happy then I wasted the money. When I replaced my 40 year old clubs I bought just a Driver first, then some hybrids, then a fairway wood, then some wedges, then irons. Get what makes you happy... as you can. And keep playing!

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

i played with a set worth 80 $ (5-SW) and got to a 13 handicap. I learned to work the ball, change the height of my shots and most important of all hit the ball on the sweetspot. Now that I play with a set worth 900$ i can feel a huge difference. all the things i mentioned above (apart from hitting the sweetspot...you still need the swing) are a lot easier. my suggestion is to continue with those clubs until you become consistent enough to buy player clubs like i did. Otherwise you could buy some Ping G10 or other super game improvement irons now and play with then for a long time.

You will know when you are ready. You'll probably become obsessed with golf equipment soon, like most of us, and then you'll start finding good deals. Remember, you can build a set gradually - buy a driver first, a few months later a putter, etc...

You will know when you are ready. You'll probably become obsessed with golf equipment soon, like most of us, and then you'll start finding good deals. Remember, you can build a set gradually - buy a driver first, a few months later a putter, etc...

im a club wh0re now lol

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

Clones and components can be very very good clubs. I built a set of ACER 925 Pros ($7) per head with rifle shafts. They look and feel like the Callaway x-22 pro forged at a fraction of the cost. They are in the bag if I need to play precision golf with a lower boring trajectory. They produce great spin.

Here's a link the Acer xk irons---very similar to the 925 pros

http://http://info.hirekogolf.com/acer/xk/xk-irons/

Negative of no name clubs---no resale value.

golfsmith, Maltby, Kzg, make some GREAT components I would be proud to own.

9* Geek No Brainer with red Stiff Gallofory shaft
15* R5 3 wood with Burner shaft
21* 24* Nike CPR hybrid Aldila by you shaft
5-pw Titleist 680 cb irons-SK Fiber graphite shafts
52*, 56*,60* Reid Lockhart Dual Bounce spinner shaftScotty Cameron Newport MidSlant with Tiger Shark GripTM LDP Red balls---used because I'm...

The more I read the more I feel like I made a poor decision going with "clone" type clubs. Brand name is not a big deal to me, but I am wondering if it will hamper my play as I progress over the next few years.

New player.....I'd say proper fit and overall type of club is far more important than one brand vs. another.

909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I think you get the point. Almost everyone is of the same opinion. Play with the clubs you have and when you are more consistent, then invest in some good clubs. Fitting must be your priority though.
And if you do decide to buy some clubs, I found this site where you can go new or used and the prices are REALLY good. http://www.globalgolf.com One thing I found out by buying from them is, go to the used section and then look for clubs that have "MINT" condition. These are actually brand new clubs for the price of used. I bought my driver, 3wood, and 5 wood like that and they came still with sicker on the head and the head was still in plastic.
Here is an example. Go to this link and then choose 8.5 degree loft.
http://www.globalgolf.com/product/go...d=1015619&gd;=3

Good luck.

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------
In my R7 Staff Bag
Driver R7 SuperQuad 10.5* - Stiff3 Wood 2009 R7 CGB Max - Stiff3 & 4 Hybrid 2009 R7 CGB Max - Graphite Stiff5-SW Irons 2009 R7 CGB Max - Graphite StiffWedges Vokey 60* & 64* Spin Milled Black NickelPutter Ping...

Note: This thread is 5248 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!