IGNORED

Driving thoughts

lcfd42
Note: This thread is 5240 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Your driver does indeed stand out for being inappropriately short compared to your other distances. Unlike all of those other clubs, the driver needs to be hit on the upswing (very slightly) and with a slightly flatter swing plane for optimal distance. The fact that you feel "cramped" suggests you may be too close to the ball and setting up for too vertical a swing plane. Nicklaus may have been able to hit the ball a ton with a vertical swing but Ben Hogan is the better role model for the rest of us.

I agree. Ben Hogan is a really good model for us. Obviously his swing is amazingly solid. But watch his tempo and how effortless the swing is. That is the thing to copy in my opinion.

"The Magic Swing of Ben Hogan"

Driver: Adams 9105d Tech A4 Harrison Saga 70 Stiff
Driver: Adams 9032ls VooDoo XNV6
Nike 17* 4W Sq - VooDoo svs7
Cobra Baffler Pro 18*
4-PW: Mizuno MP-52, Project X53*: Cleveland Golf 58856*: Callaway X-Forged MD60*: Callaway X-Forged MD

Try keeping everything together on the backswing, and then unleash it from the ground up. Starting with legs, hips, torso, arms, hands, then club. Tempo is a key factor in this process.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

I agree. Ben Hogan is a really good model for us. Obviously his swing is amazingly solid. But watch his tempo and how effortless the swing is. That is the thing to copy in my opinion.

As a kid I had a framed, frame-by-frame picture of Hogan's swing on my wall.

I watch Hogan swing videos on Youtube all the time. I'm giving you Rep points!

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

As a kid I had a framed, frame-by-frame picture of Hogan's swing on my wall.

I think that would make a great desktop background.

Driver: Adams 9105d Tech A4 Harrison Saga 70 Stiff
Driver: Adams 9032ls VooDoo XNV6
Nike 17* 4W Sq - VooDoo svs7
Cobra Baffler Pro 18*
4-PW: Mizuno MP-52, Project X53*: Cleveland Golf 58856*: Callaway X-Forged MD60*: Callaway X-Forged MD

You mention having trouble with draws on your problem drives. Make sure you aren't rushing your backswing, taking a partial pivot back but a full followthrough, and putting a left curve on the ball.

If your driver also has an above-average shaft length, this could make the partial coiling worse.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only difference I feel with the driver is my swing has a "cramped" sensation. Ball flight is straight with maybe a little draw to it.

This "cramped" sensation means you have too much angle between your arms and club shaft at address. You either have to reduce your spine angle (stand up a little straighter), choke down on the handle somewhat, or a combination of both. This should make sense given the driver is much longer than the other clubs.

I recommend both. Stand a little taller and choke down on the handle an extra inch. Maintain the same swing as your irons but use this little setup adjustment. It works beautifully .

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

Note: This thread is 5240 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!