IGNORED

X-22 Tour

Tom
Note: This thread is 5234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been a long time Mizuno player. I've owned a MP-14 set and most recently a MP-62 set. I like Mizuno irons. I have always liked Mizuno irons. When I switched to Mizuno irons there was a HUGE learning curve. I went from Titleist AP2 to MP-14 to MP-62.

I was fitted by Mizuno for X100 shafts. These shafts are great, but require full speed swings for them to perform at potential. Sure, you can chip, etc., but for full shots you have to really swing hard. And when you're getting fitted you tend to swing hard. I recall the feeling of a well struck iron with the MP-62's - very sweet!!! I digress...

Recently, I upgraded my driver and 3-wood to Callaway. I'm hitting these clubs a ton! So, this week I saw Callaway would be at my local PGA Tour Superstore and I decided to go. I hit x-forged, x-22 and x-22 tour. All three had Project X shafts. I was swinging a ton with their demo 6-irons. In the swing station I was hitting 203, 201, 206 carry. They fitted me for Project X (PX) 7.0 shafts.

Honestly, I was really impressed with the X-22 Tour irons. And I was equally impressed with the PX shafts. The Callaway rep was trying to make sure I bought in the store there that day. I had other ideas.... ever heard of callaway preowned dot com?

So, after a fitting for length, lie and shaft flex I went home, jumped on callaway's preowned website, found my fitting and bought. I did deviate from the shaft recommendation, however. Rarely on the course do I swing full out like I do/did in a controlled environment. So, I figured I'd scale the shaft flex down from 7.0 to 6.0. If I need to jump on the clubs during a round a 6.0 would handle my speed. But, because I have a 6.0 shaft I know I don't have to rail every shot for the shaft to perform for me.

Retail these would have been $900 (with tax) but on the web (from Callaway direct and with a money back guarantee) they were "like new" for $420. Yup... $420... and they had a "UPS Next Day Air by 10:30am" for free special.

So Sunday I placed the order and this morning (Tuesday) right at 10:30am UPS put them on my door step. Good timing because I had an 11:45am tee time with buddies and a game of $2 Nassau. In my bag, I replaced the MP-62s with the X-22 Tourshopped in my EZ-GO and was on the range by 10:45am ( I live on the golf course ). I took out the 3-iron and hit three ropes to a green target some 215 yards away. I was like "Wow! But don't get too excited."

Took out the PW and hit four balls to the 140 target. "Wow!" Then whipped out the 7-iron; you guessed it... "Wow!" I went between these three sticks hitting straights, draws and cuts at will.

I went out and shot a comfortable 77, with two double bogeys and 35 putts (my home course is very tight and full of OB). Had I putted like I normally do (29 to 31 putts) and had not hooked my 3-wood on hole #8, I'd have shot 71.

In short, I still like Mizuno but these x-22 tour clubs are bank; they're money!!! Always nice at the end of the round when the guys you're playing with hand you money and say "Enjoyed watching you play."

These clubs are awesome.

As sad as it may seem, I'm now looking to sell out and buy a Callaway Staff Bag so I can represent - they're bank!!!

Tom

SLDR 8.5°, Fujikura Speeder 6.2 VC X SLDR 15°, Black Tie 8M3 X SLDR 17°, Black Tie HM3 95X Tour Preferred MC 4 - PW (DG Pro X100) Tour Preferred 52, 56, 50 (DG Pro X100) Daytona 62 Lethal

I hope they work out for you. Good luck.

In my Callaway Warbird X stand bag:

Callaway FT-5 , regular flex
3 Wood, TaylorMade Burner 2007, regular Flex
Hybrid, Warrior Golf 19 degreeHybrid, Callaway X 3H 21 degreeIrons - Callaway X-18 4-PWSW Cleveland CG 12 60 degree, AW Cleveland CG 12 54 degree Putter - Odyssey White Hot #2Ball -...

X22 Tour has a slightly higher vertical center of gravity than the earlier X20 Tour model.

-------------------
Actual VCOG: X20 Tour = 0.712 || X22 Tour = 0.818
-------------------

This means X22T should be the easier club of the two for hitting knockdowns.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love my Callaway driver and have always wanted to try the wedges... Hell, I'm in love with Phil M, so I would gladly play all Callaway if I could, BUT the irons have always looked to clunky for me. The topline (even on the X-forged) is too fat and they just feel too BIG. I'm sure I would get used to them, and I know they are good clubs... just something with my head.

that's great that you are loving them though... getting new irons is probably the most fun of all the equipment purchases... at least for me it is since I usually hold on to irons a few years.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I love my Callaway driver and have always wanted to try the wedges... Hell, I'm in love with Phil M, so I would gladly play all Callaway if I could, BUT the irons have always looked to clunky for me. The topline (even on the X-forged) is too fat and they just feel too BIG. I'm sure I would get used to them, and I know they are good clubs... just something with my head.

Big_M - The Callaway rep (John Lyons) told me that the x-22 tour's are designed to have a blade-like look on the top line so the "better player" who may be used to blades would like the look at setup. Honestly, they were right. I didn't feel at all like they were clunky feeling or clunky looking. I'm going out for my second round today, this morning - have a 10:20am tt. Weather (suburban Atlanta) today is high of 56...

SLDR 8.5°, Fujikura Speeder 6.2 VC X SLDR 15°, Black Tie 8M3 X SLDR 17°, Black Tie HM3 95X Tour Preferred MC 4 - PW (DG Pro X100) Tour Preferred 52, 56, 50 (DG Pro X100) Daytona 62 Lethal

Retail these would have been $900 (with tax) but on the web (from Callaway direct and with a money back guarantee) they were "like new" for $420. Yup... $420... and they had a "UPS Next Day Air by 10:30am" for free special.

Tom, Can't beat Callaway Preowned. Glad you got a good deal. My last 7 purchases have been on that site and I get everything in "like new" condition and each time I get brand new clubs with stickers and/or shrink wrapped heads. Can't beat it with a stick. Just redid my whole bag in the last three weeks in fact. I got $2000 worth of brand new clubs for half price. FT-9 Tour driver was $240 ($430 club), FT 3 and 5 woods were $107 each ($250 each elsewhere), FT 3 and 4 hybrids were $74 each ($199 each elsewhere), and my X20 Tour irons were just over $400. That was with 1.25" over and 2 deg up jumbo grips and 2nd day shipping! And everything was brand new and came 2nd day, in many cases with free 2nd day delivery. Lots of sales over the last three weeks on Callaway Preowned. As for the bag, check out the Callaway ORG 14 Tour bag. I just ordered one from Discount Golf World for $159. It should look pretty spiffy with my FT-9 Tour driver, FT 3W and 5W, FT 3h and 4h, and X20 Tour irons. I was looking at the FT bag, but it has white all over it. Had a Tommy Armour white staff bag years ago. Never again, stayed dirty. Also, the staff bags fit very poorly on a golf cart. These ORG bags have everything facing the back of the cart. Perfect in my opinion. Link and picture below... I got this set of handmade knit headcovers as well. I love the lines for the driver, 3W, and 5W. Also, the smaller hybrid covers are the same, 3 lines on the 3h and 4 lines on the 4h. Should look really nice with the bag. Anyone wanting something like this, shoot me a PM. The lady that makes them is awesome. She sells them on Ebay in very small numbers. No doubt just a small way to make some extra cash. I saw a 4 headcover set listed (didn't have the 5 wood cover). I sent her a question saying I wanted a matching 5W cover. She emails me back 5 hours later saying it is already made and included in the set and she can ship it out today before 2pm if I want to pay her now. She had already made a "buy it now" option for this 5 headcover set. Holy sh$*. I have not seen customer service like that in a long, long, time. The whole set was $110. Found some other ones online in the $150-200 range so this is actually good price for handmade knit covers. Aside from price, the other websites, Scottishknitter and Jan .. (forget last name) were saying 4+ weeks for delivery. And one of them wasn't taking any orders till April. This lady on Ebay is a shining exception to this. http://www.discountgolfworld.com/pro...-cart-bag.html Below is a forum thread about the bag. This is where I heard about the bag myself. Lots of great pictures of the bag here as well... http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index....owtopic=327184

I am getting back into golf after pretty much a 10 year layoff (one or two rounds a year). I had the X12s. I could not get over the chunky look to them. Especially on the short irons and PW.

I must say I LOVE the X22 Tours. I have hit the range with them about 6 times and played one round. They are awesome. I had my best range session yesterday with them and feel my swing is grooving back. They are just as forgiving as my X12s but the top line is just so much more attractive and a sweet shot off of them is heaven! I must have hit 50 PW shots yesterday with them and was having a blast. Now when I look at my old X12s I wonder what the heck I was thinking? That big ole chunky head I believe caused me to over swing on a lot of shots. Not anymore with the X22 Tours.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Danattherock,

Excellent post. I see you're as sick as I am, or are you now??? I now have five golf bags in my garage, including a Titleist staff and this new Callaway FT staff. As to the staff bag choice, I feel it gives me a mental edge in that other's may think (and I certainly do) "He's got a staff bag, so he must have game..." did I say I was sick? I am... I have four complete iron sets, 5 drivers, three 3-woods, hybrids, a 1-iron, 2-iron, etc., all fitted. I'm super sick... I was up this morning, like yesterday, at 5am watching my David Leadbetter Short Game DVD and now I'm on sandtrap.com. Who else is this sick?

My sickness? Yesterday, like most others (I watched the DVD super early) went to my club, practiced for an hour, played 18 holes then practiced another hour. I went to my club's clubfitter and had my new X-22 Tour's bent up a ½º, went back on the range then went through every club in my set, to test the new lie. I then putted a bit more, came home and talked about golf with my wife and kids. It's now 7:45am and I've already watched a golf DVD, and putted for a while. I have written my "goal" sheet for the day, which is 100% dedicated to golf.

Who is this sick?? Am I mental?

I think you are just barely "sick" enough. What is the point of playing a game you can't win if you are not passionate about it. I say you are perfectly "sick". ha ha ...

I too think your "perfectly sick" A person can not get enough golf in. I made it to 166 rounds this year ( a record for me) but have not played now for 2 1/2 weeks! Two more weeks and I move to Texas where it's game time all year.

I got my X-22 Graphite in Sept and absolutley love them. I also have a new set o TM Burner steel. I'm leaning toward the X-22 mostly due to the shafts. The graphite is a fisrt for me and they tend to increase my swing speed and arch higher than the steel

Caution, TJ! You will be hitting TX at the end of the

dark days . (The last two weeks of December and first two weeks of January when it's too cold to play). Didn't want you to experience unnecessary psychic pain.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok. Got my Callaway Authentic Tour Staff Bag the other day. This thing is awesome! Looks great!

Thanks for the heads up. I've been going down there the last 3 years in the Winter and find that most folks down there don't play much under 50 degrees! Maybe I'll be the same once I acclimate but right now my limit is 35degress in KC for play. But with all this snow it may as well be 50!

Note: This thread is 5234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!