IGNORED

Golf expenses

aca247
Note: This thread is 5240 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm 23, still a college student (last year) and I have absolutely no source of dependant income, so my parents pay for everything golf; from balls to tees to clubs to lessons (when I used to have them). Fortunately I can still play for free at our club since I'm not yet over their "junior" age limit, but once I get to that point, they will be paying the green fees as well, and they do it with a happy smile.

I know this might sound strange and bratty, but things are totally different down here than it is in the US. And I mean, really really different. It's a whole different culture and a whole different way of living. Parents here are responsible for everything until their kids graduate and find a job and start earning their income. In a lot of cases the parents would also help in the marriage settings.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

Man this thread makes me a little bit ill....

14 year old who has a country club membership seems upset that his parents arent buying him more stuff..... 14 and a country club member... thats all I need to say...

Golfaway, if thats the way of life out there, I should have moved to Egypt a long time ago

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

I learned a little bit of golf off and on while in my late teens and early 20s, using my dad's older clubs, and playing with scavenged golf balls at his country club. Went off to grad school and didn't play again until a few months ago, at age 30.

I spend A LOT on my toys and hobbies. (Not just in golf.) My parents greater financial means, but I actually was quite stingy growing up. I appreciated all that my parents could do for me (lessons in anything I wanted, full support through college), but it always felt wrong spending their money on toys. Now that I make my own money, I don't feel bad about splurging on what I want (toys, hobbies, fine dining, gifts for others, whatever) as long as I keep my budget balanced.

Make sure you realize how lucky you are and make sure you thank your parents. But also keep some perspective and realize that it's not you who earned all that money. If your parents are willing to support the hobby, great. But be sensible about what you want since you're not the one who actually has to work for it.

My beloved Pinke Gin:

G15 woods (1, 3, 5, R flex, Nike VR grips)
VR split cavity (3-PW, DG S300)
VR wedges (54-12, 60-6, DG S400) White Hot Tour #1 putter e6 golf balls

I am 14 and i am just wondereing what all your parents paid for or now pay for balls,green fees,lessons,gloves,clubs,etc. thanks in advance

I didn't play until I was able to pay for it myself. There was no money in my family for such frivolous or costly activities as golf. I didn't start really playing regularly until I was almost 40, although I did get a good introduction to the game in my late 20's.

When I was your age, I caddied, but I didn't play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golfaway, if thats the way of life out there, I should have moved to Egypt a long time ago

The fact that you can play golf all year alone is worth the move.

But seriosuly, it's not always nice. Being dependant is much better.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

I am 14 and i am just wondereing what all your parents paid for or now pay for balls,green fees,lessons,gloves,clubs,etc. thanks in advance

LOL, when I was your age even dirt was new! Anyway I caddied for my father and some of his buddies and would look for balls while caddying. Balls back in those days were blata and all it took was one good bladed hit and vole', and nice big "smile" that usually went thru the cover of the ball. I went thru a lot of balls back then. Back then when you mis hit the 3i you felt it all the way up to your elbows. The flip side of that was when you hit the 3i well it felt really cool. It turned out that pain was a very good teacher.

Since we were members of a country club I have no idea what greens fee were or how much my jr golf cost. We didn't use gloves and the usual set of clubs were driver, 3 wood, 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i and if you were really cool you had a sw. Most of us took the driver out cuz we couldn't hit it and just used the 3 wood, much more reliable.

When I was your age I got nothing, and LIKED it!

sorry if i came off as a brat on that one my parents dont pay for my green fees my school has a course that sponsors us and gives us free membership but anyway i am very sorry if i came off as a brat

DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

I grew up in a NJ city that was regarded as America's most violent city in terms of murder rate etc. in the 90's and I played basketball and tennis.

So you grew up in camden...LOL god bless you. I do understand your comment about $$ and the kids. I like to think the same way but somehow it just doesn't seem to happen...

14 year old who has a country club membership seems upset that his parents arent buying him more stuff..... 14 and a country club member... thats all I need to say...

This made me spew my coffee!!! Thanks

sorry if i came off as a brat on that one my parents dont pay for my green fees my school has a course that sponsors us and gives us free membership but anyway i am very sorry if i came off as a brat

good corection by you...now go get a job and buy some damn balls!!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

good corection by you...now go get a job and buy some damn balls!!!

""""Golf Clap......."""""

Updated 2/7/10 - In my Revolver Pro bag:
Driver: G-10 10.5* TFC 129 Stiff flex 3-W: G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
#2h(17*) Stiff Flex #3(21*) & #4(24*): Hybrid G-10 TFC129 Stiff flex
5-PW: MP32 (DG300)S flex Wedges 52-8, 56-14, and 60-04 Bobby Jones Wedges
Putter: Rossa Monte Carlo 35"Grips:...

I'll share my prospective as the parent of young golfers.

My sons started playing this year, my oldest 11 is very into golf. My wife and I view Jr golf programs as normal sports expenditures and will make sure both have the opportunity to participate in structured events. Both received thrift store clubs to start which they paid for 50% of the cost. My oldest received a new set of clubs for Christmas as his gift (the elves build a hell of a set BTW). We make the boys pitch in for extra expenses such as the driving range, new balls, a new glove, etc. I'll usually pay for a round once a month for one or the other as I really enjoy the time together.

I view our job as parents to provide the foundation and provide the opportunity to participate in sport activities. The "extras" are up to them.

Us parents dont care how much we spend on our kids,If we have it, its yours.......just make us proud!

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Being a parent of a teen golfer I'd have to say I'd buy her whatever she wanted to play the game. She's currently on her HS golf team (last year though) and has a mix of Ping & Cobra equipment. I've offered to "upgrade" what she has but, she said no. When we do play I always pay for the round and whatever. She'll occasionally buy a round from the traveling refreshment cart though. LOL
We don't get out for a round as much as I'd like to but, being a teenager she's busy with school stuff and planning for college, etc which is great. Plus, I know that her working at the local muni golf course here has her burned out during golf season so, I guess that doesn't help the matter.

In my Bag Boy XLT-15 bag:
Cobra 10.5* Speed Pro S driver
Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

I wish i had started at a younger age, just didnt have any interest in the game then. Im 35 and just started playing last spring, so about a year and a half into it now. Have improved quite a bit but still far from a scratch golfer, just lucky to break 100 for 18 or keep it in the 40's for 9. We had a golf team in high school and I think not that many people had and interest then either, its much different now but basketball will always be the #1 sport in Mcleansboro, with golf probably at least 3rd or 4th down the line. I could have started when I got my current job about 10 years ago, had a couple people i work with that played then, just didnt think about it. If i had started then, I know I would be a lot better player than now but better late than never I guess. I like it because its the one sport you can actually play by yourself. Yes you can practice other sports, but you dont need an opponent to play golf, the course is your opponent. And its one you can play your whole life as I plan to as long as I am physically able to do it, maybe by the time I get old I'll finally be good, lol.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

When i was 14 my parents covered mostly all my expenses for golf, which wasnt much. An old set of titleist pro100's and some balls my dad found in the woods weren't that expensive I reckon. But now being 24 its getting quite costly; 3000$ for a country club membership and 50-100$ a lesson, ouch. Growing up sucks :P

If you can save $ on balls and have a good set of clubs your happy with then your just looking at greens fee's. If you play at a country club like you said there should be plenty of prov1's etc in the woods that you can easily snag if your a walker.

4DX Evolver 10.5 Stiff UST V2
Big Bertha Steelhead Plus 3wood
mp-32 3-pw tt x100's
xtour 56/52deg
feel golf 60 deg lob wedge dual force rossie blade I golf balls

Note: This thread is 5240 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!