IGNORED

Golf Tryouts Tomorrow - Need Advice!

live4u120
Note: This thread is 5187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ive never tryed out for a golf team before but I know when I used to play ice hockey I never really tryed to think of it as a tryout. I would always give 100% but I just tryed to never forget why I even started playing the game. To have FUN. It seems like a lot of people when trying out forget that sports are supposed to be fun. So really I wouldnt even beat yourself up about it and just enjoy yourself. It will keep you a lot calmer and focused. Plus you wont be pulling your hair out if you mess up.
What I Play:

Driver: Sumo 5000 9.5*
Fairway Woods : S2 15*/18*
Irons : MP 58 3-PW S3000 StiffWedges : Spin Milled 54*/58*Putter : Pro Platinum Newport 2Ball : Pro V1 ( Used )Bag : (Cart Bag) Twister 2010 (Stand Bag)

Okay, thanks. I'll do that then!

Your goal should be a 40 based on your handicap. Your goal should be 2 strokes under your hcap, which you should shoot every 6 rounds or so.

Show up and play no doubt, they are holding the tourney and will have no problem letting a competitor play a practice round

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Well, today at practice we only had time to play 5 holes, but I got 4 over. I was absolutely exstatic about my performance. Now I can go into tryouts with confidence. I beat almost more than half the people practicing.

But, I did have one hell of a draw/pull. My irons were hurting me a bit.

good luck tomorrow.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good luck man, I know you'll make this team!

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

Well, today I was playing... AND I BEAT EVERYBODY! With soaked fairways, and freezing temps, I made 4 over! We'll finish the tryouts on Tuesday of next week, but I'm so glad I beat everyone. The average score was 5 over on 4 holes, while I got 4!

Now, I know that doesn't sound that great, because it's a bogey per hole, but compared to the rest of the people I'm exstatic about it! I think I can do better on Tuesday, I'm gonna get a spot, I just know it!

congrats!! that's awesome!!

4DX Evolver 10.5 Stiff UST V2
Big Bertha Steelhead Plus 3wood
mp-32 3-pw tt x100's
xtour 56/52deg
feel golf 60 deg lob wedge dual force rossie blade I golf balls

Well, today I was playing... AND I BEAT EVERYBODY!

Good job. In some weather, bogies get the job done. I remember one match in HS, the weather was terrible. It was <30' and we had high winds (20+ MPH) and freezing rain. An 86, 14 over par, was the low score for the day. Ironically, it was a freshman on the junior varsity who took the honor. The low varsity score was an 88, this from a varsity team that routinly shot sub-300 team scores.

Good luck on Tuesday. Hopefully the weather will be a bit better for you.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Honestly, just play the game. Don't worry about what you shoot. And, if you get into some trouble, dont get too worried; your next shot will be better. Dont get too jacked up if your play well either. Keeping an even keel is key. No matter what is happening, keeping to your normal preshot routine will help. Play against par, dont pay attention to anyone else. and most of all HAVE FUN!!!!

Forget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

Sumo2 5900 9.5, ProForce V2 stiff
Diablo 3w
Baffler TWS 3h MP57 4-pw VR wedge 52.10, 56.14 TPz 60.06 Studio Style Newport 2 SG5ProV1x

While I wait for Tuesday to roll around for ANOTHER tryouts, does anyone know any good drills to keep my swing consistent? I'm content with my swing now, I just would like to know if there were some drills I could do to keep my swing in shape.

While I wait for Tuesday to roll around for ANOTHER tryouts, does anyone know any good drills to keep my swing consistent? I'm content with my swing now, I just would like to know if there were some drills I could do to keep my swing in shape.

Geez, mate, just do what you normally do. Before you were trying out over 4 holes. What does it all mean? Don't get ahead of yourself and just go out and play. It is obvious that there is no one really good who is at your school (I assume we are talking about a school here...) . Bogey golf is obviously good enough, so don't stress out. Sounds like the difference between first and last is going to a three putt or a drive out of bounds. Just do what you normally do. By making it into a big deal you are putting pressure on yourself you don't need. You claim to play off 10, so you'd be expecting to go around in the low 80s, so I'm not sure what you're worried about if no-one else can better 5 over par for 5 holes.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Well just a quick update. Today we had practice, tomorrow are the last tryouts. The last tryouts. Big day!

But as for today, I was highly disappointed in myself. I was doing fantastic, I was even getting it up on the green for birdie on a couple holes. I was killing drives.

Until the last hole. On the last hole, I short but very tricky Par 4, I pushed my hybrid into the trees, managing somehow to still be in light rough next to the fairway. My layup was great, and then I hit my baby wedge, into a thick mound of mud on the other side of the water. This led to a bunker shot. This led to a chip shot from the fringe. In the end, I tripled the last hole for 9 over.

Now the second to last was a great chance for par, but my putting was horrid. UPHILL, I left it 10 ft from the hole. I was starting from 11.

But I won't let this negative notion affect my performance tomorrow. I'm going to take the hole head-on, and make the team. (Although right now I'm not in a very good mood)

Oh P.S.
This was over 5 holes. 4 and 5 were my enemy.

Oh P.S.

What ever happened to playing 9 holes or 18 holes for tryouts? Why are you guys only playing 4 or 5?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

How many holes did you play? Practice was over 5, but were the actual tryouts longer?

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

We played 5 holes. Today we have practice, and tomorrow we hear who gets cut. I'm about 90% sure I'm getting cut. I heard from several people that the Coach is keeping the old team from last year. But I suppose in the meantime, I can practice for a year.

Note: This thread is 5187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!