IGNORED

Is false advertising = cheating.

bigoak
Note: This thread is 5167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://tgontg.blogspot.com/2008/03/w...-bag-2008.html
...seems like up until last year he was usin SQ...last year was the dymo...

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

his balls (haha no jokes please) are not readily available to us. they are prototypes suited to his needs. they aren't marked with 'one', 'one tour d', etc. but rather his trademark 'Tiger' along the putting aid or the tw logo.

I can confirm that this is indeed true, although the actual makeup of the ball is unknown, they are indeed, Nike One balls marked with "Tiger" and the number "18". They come in a plain white sleeve with no markings on it. Apart from that, I think they're the same as regular Nike One balls. He draws a line on them freehand on the first tee, to gauge his nerves.

I can confirm that this is indeed true, although the actual makeup of the ball is unknown, they are indeed, Nike One balls marked with "Tiger" and the number "18". Apart from that, I think they're the same as regular Nike One balls. He draws a line on them freehand on the first tee, to gauge his nerves.

???? Where do you get this?

And of all the times the cameras have shown Tiger's ball close up, why have I never seen these supposed "Tiger" marks or "18" on them?

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Only the FWs, the Driver is a Dymo.

Really? Cause I thought maybe he was using a Ping G10 driver w/ a Nike headcover.

( I'm well aware of the clubs he uses)

TM R11/Titleist 910F 15*/ Nike SQ2 20* & 23*/ Nike CCi 5-PW/ Nike SV 52* & 56*/ SC Newport 2 Studio Style 32.5"
Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

I can confirm that this is indeed true, although the actual makeup of the ball is unknown, they are indeed, Nike One balls marked with "Tiger" and the number "18". They come in a plain white sleeve with no markings on it. Apart from that, I think they're the same as regular Nike One balls. He draws a line on them freehand on the first tee, to gauge his nerves.

I knew I would be starting a lively discussion about Tiger's balls (Ha Ha). Nike does not make the balls Tiger uses. Never have. He has always played Titleist Pro V1s, with the swoosh logo. Wouldn't Nike love to run full page ads with Tiger saying he owes he success to a Nike One ball, but they never have. That's why. This info comes from a USGA official, who noticed during tournaments that the balls Tiger used didn't look like Nikes, so he asked an Acushnet rep about it. So, you could say I got the info 3rd hand, but there it is.

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

I knew I would be starting a lively discussion about Tiger's balls (Ha Ha). Nike does not make the balls Tiger uses. Never have. He has always played Titleist Pro V1s, with the swoosh logo. Wouldn't Nike love to run full page ads with Tiger saying he owes he success to a Nike One ball, but they never have. That's why. This info comes from a USGA official, who noticed during tournaments that the balls Tiger used didn't look like Nikes, so he asked an Acushnet rep about it. So, you could say I got the info 3rd hand, but there it is.

How would an official notice they didn't look like Nike's if the balls have the swoosh logo?

You saying the official didn't think the dimple patterns looked right for a Nike ball or something? If Acushnet knows about what Tiger and Nike are doing w/ his balls, I would think Acushnet would have a problem w/ that. To think Nike takes an Acushnet product, strips the product of the identity marks, and labels it as one of their own is almost impossible to believe. "Hey Titleist, Tiger Woods, the worlds best golfer and the most marketed athlete today, likes and wants to use your balls. We're going to take your balls, take your logos off of them and put ours on them." I really doubt Acushnet would be okay with that. Especially considering ball sales are the biggest money maker for golf companies. Sorry, not buying the story.

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Me either, his balls are too white to be Titleist. No player has ever had s many close ups run in slow motion of balls rolling on greens in history. He could not get away with this for more than an hour.
And besides, if he were going to do that wouldn't he use Callaways?

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

If Acushnet knows about what Tiger and Nike are doing w/ his balls, I would think Acushnet would have a problem w/ that. To think Nike takes an Acushnet product, strips the product of the identity marks, and labels it as one of their own is almost impossible to believe.

Well, unless they have a specific contract arrangement with him on that issue, there is literally nothing they could do even if they didn't like it. Nike is free to buy any product they want, strip it of its identifying logos, and affix their own. The only exception I can think of would be a product whose very form was distinctive enough to be a trademark---it might be difficult to do this with a uniquely-shaped driver, but even that would only be a potential problem if it were being offered for sale. There's nothing (outside of individual contracts) that requires you to keep a logo on a product, and only the owner of the mark being applied could object to the use of their mark (i.e., Nike could prevent him from applying its mark, but obviously they would be happy to have him use it so that's not an issue here)

However, this doesn't sit well with the stories that Tiger has custom balls manufactured. It would seem unlikely that Titleist would make a custom ball for him and allow this, since in that case there'd probably have to be a contractual relationship on the issue.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Well, unless they have a specific contract arrangement with him on that issue, there is literally nothing they could do even if they didn't like it. Nike is free to buy any product they want, strip it of its identifying logos, and affix their own. The only exception I can think of would be a product whose very form was distinctive enough to be a trademark---it might be difficult to do this with a uniquely-shaped driver, but even that would only be a potential problem if it were being offered for sale. There's nothing (outside of individual contracts) that requires you to keep a logo on a product, and only the owner of the mark being applied could object to the use of their mark (i.e., Nike could prevent him from applying its mark, but obviously they would be happy to have him use it so that's not an issue here)

I see what you're saying, I just don't believe it.

And the customized ball thing was rumored to have been through Nike, not Titleist. I'm pretty sure Nike is just as capable as Titleist to make a custom ball just for Tiger, so why wouldn't it be from Nike? Tiger uses all Nike clubs (sans his putter) and I'm sure the Nike ball is just fine for him to use as well. Like I've said, years ago, yeah, he probably did use a ProV1 ball. He also used to be sponsored partly by Titleist and Nike didn't even have a ball, or one that was good enough for a pro to use.

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

Titleist get lots of money out of this deal

Bingo! To those who doubt, I can't blame you. It really surprised me too. But, if you think about it, everybody wins. Nike gets their swoosh all over the TV screen (remember the 16th at Augusta?), Titleist gets a boatload of cash, and Tiger plays a ball that he is familiar with and is, in many people's opinion, the best golf ball.

Driver 905S, V2 stiff shaft
3-Wood 906F2 13 degree, V2 stiff
Hybrid 585H 21 degree, Aldila VS Proto
Irons (4-PW) MP-57, Rifle 5.5
SW & LW spin milledPutter TracyBall Pro V-1

Bingo! To those who doubt, I can't blame you. It really surprised me too. But, if you think about it, everybody wins. Nike gets their swoosh all over the TV screen (remember the 16th at Augusta?), Titleist gets a boatload of cash, and Tiger plays a ball that he is familiar with and is, in many people's opinion, the best golf ball.

How would Titleist agree to that though? If people think he's using a Nike ball, that's what a lot of people are going to want to buy. Ball sales are the biggest sales for a golf company such as Titleist and Nike. Why would Titleist just be okay w/ that? Just because Nike pays them a lot of money to do it? Well, it would have to be a lot of money, because they're losing out on a lot of money by "allowing" Tiger to play w/ what is perceived a Nike ball.

Like I said, I just don't believe it. I can't believe a ball from Tiger's stash hasn't been proven to be a Titleist ball by now, if that's really what he's using. Tiger has given balls away, he's lost balls, and someone w/ access to the practice range can probably snag a ball off of Tiger if they really wanted to. I just can't believe it hasn't been proven by someone that he really uses a ProV1 w/ Nike logos.

Nike 20XIx/Pro V1x

If that's the case, now

Tiger & Phil owe (the OP) a lot of money for the deception of it all.. It's cheating ! LOL!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, and my friend's brother's uncle's cousin died when he drank soda and ate pop rocks... Sorry, not buyin it. It's a golf ball, and Tiger would still be the best on earth if he used a white rock.

The NASCAR analogy earlier was pretty spot on.

I think it is funny, I saw where Kim Kardashian (Pitches for Carls JR) was spotted this weekend late at night in an In and Out drive though in Las Vegas with her boyfriend (Reggie Bush). They got a photo or two of her. Guess where their next stop was?......Carls for a salad! Paparazzi in tow. LOL

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

...... there is literally nothing they could do even if they didn't like it. Nike is free to buy any product they want, strip it of its identifying logos, and affix their own. The only exception I can think of would be a product whose very form was distinctive enough to be a trademark---it might be difficult to do this with a uniquely-shaped driver, but even that would only be a potential problem if it were being offered for sale. There's nothing (outside of individual contracts) that requires you to keep a logo on a product, and only the owner of the mark being applied could object to the use of their mark (i.e., Nike could prevent him from applying its mark, but obviously they would be happy to have him use it so that's not an issue here)

I think you have parts of the copyright law here right, but not completely. Putting a Nike logo on a Titleist ball

in commerial use (which this clearly is) without Titleist's permission would be a violation of copyright and patent law. The Titleist ball has patents for exterally visiible aspects (such as the dimple sizes and shapes) as well as the internal parts of the ball, and for another manufacturer to rebrand and use it commercially is clearly illegal under the law, subject to civil and potentially criminal penalties. There is no way that Nike would be unaware of such law (they are extremely conscious of intellectual property law and vigorously defend their own brand in the courts) and they are accutely aware of the potential damages if they did indeed proceed with such a violation. The basic monetary damages would be significant, but knowingly violate patent law is subject to treble damages in the courts. An alternative is that Nike licenses the ball from Titleist. But what would Titleists motivation be for this? Yes, they'd get money for it, but wouldn't they get a lot more if it was the Titleist logo seen in all the closeups? The golf companies are fiercly defensive of their respective designs and patents, and they basically live or die based on brand perception. Brand management in industries such as golf, soft drinks, etc. is probably THE most important element within the company. The differences between the actual golf hardware, whether it is clubs or balls, is actuallly trivial or very minor as far as the general buying public is concerned, so the companies carefully build and nurture their brand perception to achieve competitive market share. Think about it for a minute - the Nike golf brand would be devastated it became public knowledge (I mean REAL knowledge, not the speculation or heresay taking place here) that the golf balls with the swoosh were not really Nike. And if it were true, it would be too easy to verify as others have pointed out. Cut open a lost ball by Tiger or one he gives away, and the truth is revealed instantly. Sorry, but I just cannot accept that this practice is actually taking place - there is way too much money at risk here and this is not a secret that can be hidden easily.

Note: This thread is 5167 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!