IGNORED

Srixon Z Star Tour Yellow - anyone on board with these?

Note: This thread is 4535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by ohiolefty

I got some and have played them and loved the feel. I need to do an apples to apples comparison with the Taylor Made TP Black LDP I have been playing, but, at first 'glance', I prefer the Srixon ball. Cover durability was my only issue. It's the least durable of the tour-level balls that I've played.

I am going to do the same thing

Will I use less balls because I dont lose them as easily vs do they scuff up too much vs an nxt tour

By my massive mathematical brain I figure if it stops me losing one ball every two rounds my hcap should come down

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

Been playing them for a few months now.  Performance to me very similar to the Taylormade TP Black LDP's.  Much easier to see, even in gnarly rough or leaves so the color has saved me several balls.  And i'd definitely agree with another post that the scuffs just don't seem as obvious due to the yellow-green color.

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

played with them

they are insane

easy to see

long

great spin

Taylormade RBZ 10.5 driver, Taylormade Burner 2.0 15 deg 3 wood, Mizuno JPX800 19deg hybrid, Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-PW, Titleist Vokey 52,56,60 rusty wedges, Odyssey White Ice #7 360gm tour weight, Bridgestone B330S

Srixon Z Stars are hands down the best ball I have ever played.  Long (at least comparably longer to other premium balls), spins extrememely will with the irons (more than ProV and V1s according to a Golf Magazine study, but the factor where the Z-Star outshines every other premium ball I've ever played is DURABILITY.  It's almost beyond belief how well these balls hold up - round after round after round..

One of the balls below was played for 36 holes.  An 80 and a 78.  The other two are brand new, never been played.  I'll send you one if you can correctly guess the ball that has been used and find a mark on it.  Balls are in the same position in all three photos, mind you.

(I'm good because there isn't a scratch.... well, actually there is one, from my only wayward drive, a hard smack off a tree trunk.)  Best of all, these babies are $24.99 at my Golf Galaxy, because the Z-Star VX (or whatever version 2 is called) is out for Spring 2011. White are the same price....  I might mix a dozen if they let me.

P7210763.jpg

P7210762.jpg

P7210761.jpg

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

NO WAY I could play a ProV or Cally's top of the line ball, or the Penta and have it come out absolutely pristine like this.  I'm not often amazed at anything golf related... but these balls just have me shaking my head.  I've backed em up 10 feet, I've had a mid iron hop and stop, I've even had a longer iron settle down nicely for me.  Every time I mark the think I'm expecting shreds... never get em, even with my Vokey (regular, not spin milled I think).

No more $45 Titleist if you're smart.  Beating your buddies while playing a yellow ball freaks them out as well.....

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

I will never play a pro v again

I have been playing the Trispeeds for a while now and love em, I am going to purchase some of these tomorrow as everyone has nothing bad to say about them :)

The schoolteacher was taking her first golfing lesson. "Is the word spelt p-u-t or p-u-t-t?" she asked the instructor. "P-u-t-t is correct," he replied. "Put means to place a thing where you want it. Putt means merely a vain attempt to do the same thing."

I don't find the color to be all that un-natural - ON the course it looks fine to me. Granted, I won't paint the wall this color, wouldnt be too excited if the wife walked out wearing something silky and lacy in this color (lie - I'd be excited if she was wearing 6 used roofing shingles strategically placed). On the course, you can see the ball from miles away. As you approach the fairway and green for sure, but light rough, around the green, or over by the cart barn or near that guys yard? Easy. I started getting good at this game as a teen in the 80's when yellow and orange balls were the craze (Yellow Pinnacle please!) so this ball is a bit nostalgic for me. The factthat it behaves so well makes it even better... It's the Porshe 928 I never got, but rounder and smaller and less impressive to women.

I am kicking myself for buying 2 boxes of Bridgestone e6's (yellows).  I bought them just for the color.  Now these are only $3 a box more for a premium ball.  Not that I am really good enough to notice a difference but it would have nice to see if I could see a change around the greens.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Went back to the G Galaxy today and the Z Stars were NOT $24.99 like I thought... Maybe a tag in the wrong place when I was in on Monday dropping off the driver or something.... Or possibly head in ass for not looking at the tag or pulling the trigger then. Shame.

Originally Posted by Bryan SD2

Went back to the G Galaxy today and the Z Stars were NOT $24.99 like I thought... Maybe a tag in the wrong place when I was in on Monday dropping off the driver or something.... Or possibly head in ass for not looking at the tag or pulling the trigger then. Shame.

could be the ones you saw on monday were the previous version marked down so the new ones could go in. ie. bridgestone tour b330's...last year's box at dicks is 29.97...this years directly next to it is 42.99

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Originally Posted by trickymicky69

Just pulled the trigger on a dozen of these.

Opened the packet....

Wow!

They are pearlescent yellow/green and look completely different to what I imagined (a rock)

They feel pretty soft as well

Any good?

I like the color of them too.  Unlike the safety yellow of range balls and some of the other yellow balls, they have a nice little hint of green in them.  Srixon claims that they researched the color and found that the hint of green had a calming effect.

I tried them last summer and I didnt think they felt all that soft though.  Compared to some of the other tour balls that Ive used, they felt kind of hard and felt dead at impact, especially with the putter.

Im actually much more a fan of the Bridgestone B330 than I am the Z-Stars.  I really like Srixons other balls (Soft Feel, AD333, TriSpeed) and I really wanted to like the Z-Star after all the hype surrounding it but I just didnt care for the feel of it.

A lot of people really like them though, so dont anyone write it off before trying out a sleeve of them.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I purchased a dozen this week and used them on Wenesday and today. I have to admit i think they are a great ball, very easy to trace, with a lot of feel around the green.

They are very easy to spot in the distance and also easy to find if in light rough,

I do find they scuff with my wedges although they are far more durable than other premium balls I have used in the past, they cost me £33 for a dozen and as I can get 2 dozen trispeeds for £27 I will probably only use them in comps etc for the time been until I find myself at a level and able to spend that sort of money on a dozen balls.

The schoolteacher was taking her first golfing lesson. "Is the word spelt p-u-t or p-u-t-t?" she asked the instructor. "P-u-t-t is correct," he replied. "Put means to place a thing where you want it. Putt means merely a vain attempt to do the same thing."

Ho wmuch do the tri-speeds spin?  Compared to the Z Stars?  I'm guessing it's similar to a ProV and NXT Tour comparison?

The Tri-Speeds are a lot lower compression than the Z-Stars -- 71 versus 89 -- but the Z-Star has a considerably softer cover. I'll take a sleeve of Tri-Speeds along next time I go out and compare the two.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...

Whats everyones thoughts on these new balls from srixon, in bright yellow! Is there a difference between the normal and the yellow z-starx or whatever they call it? I have a rough one that a played with the other day and it felt decent!

Welcome to the TST forum !

White and yellow are the very same, still it looks like the yellow is a bit more durable, but that might well be nothing more than a personal feeling.

Srixon and Bridgestone produce very fine balls ........ still Titleist is used by most.

Cheers, Gerald.

(edit bc. the orginal post of MB1630756 was moved to this thread)

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I can't help with a difference between white and yellow as I've not played the yellow. The last 6 holes I played last week however I 'accidentally' played a Z-Star lake ball in white (I bought AD333's and one was a Z-Star by accident)

The ball was soft off the face, felt longer than the AD333 and stopped lovely on greens. The sound off the putter face was also very nice indeed and the ball survived with almost no scuffing. Once I've played through my AD333 collection I'll be seriously debating about playing the Z-Star as my primary ball.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Note: This thread is 4535 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!