IGNORED

My Swing (live4u120)

live4u120
Note: This thread is 4742 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll be honest, this is new golfing territory for me. Normally I can just type in my problem and find a video that will cure my problem on you-tube. However this time I can't seem to even find it on Google, nor do I know what exactly to search. Someone mentioned my hips turning too early in one of my Facebook videos, and when I took a closer look at the video, WOW my hips were already in the finished position by the time of impact.

So I'm not sure what to ask, but how could I help an early hip turn? I noticed in Tiger's Swing Portrait that by impact, his hips were facing perpindicular to the target line, and rotating a little past. (I know I won't be able to swing like him, but just a thought.)

Thanks!

• Administrator
Without seeing a video, I'd suggest one thing: push them forward more.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Without seeing a video, I'd suggest one thing: push them forward more.

That's his driver swing, so it may differ a touch. (I read in The Little Red Book that all swings for any club should be the same swing though.)

• Administrator
OK, thanks.

To be honest, I don't see much issue with your hips. Your hands look a little close to your body, and I'd work on that, and I'd also work on swinging your left arm down from the top faster (like a karate chop across your chest faster), but your hip action looks okay. It's not perfect (whose is?), but there are other things to work on first.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

OK, thanks.

Ok thanks. I think the hands being close to my body is something I should work on. My swing for the past couple days has felt REALLY awkward towards impact, I've actually hit my leg with the grip about 2 times. I feel like my arms are hanging from my chest, but what would you give as advice for that?

I think your hip action is good personally.

Maybe it's the camera angle, but the ball looks like it's too far back in the stance for a 7 iron.

What problem are you having exactly with your swing?

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

I think your hip action is good personally.

Right now? Just the awkward feeling causes me to do weird stuff. I've been hitting the ball insanely fat all day, and putting the most spin on a practice ball I've seen. The ball goes STRAIGHT up from my nine iron. Other than that, I thin them pretty badly. I dunno, I just gotta go to the range. Strangely I play INCREDIBLY better with real golf balls. Maybe it's more feedback.

So lately I've been swinging like I never played golf before. All I can do right now is wait for some money to come in to take lessons. I thought it'd be best to come on here and post my symptoms, and maybe someone can diagnose my swing.

-VERY VERY thin shots
-I can't draw at all, I'm fading everything
-Fats when I try to hit down on the ball
-No power
-No feeling of that slap at impact, more of a sweeping motion

Thanks guys.

I have some recent swing videos from yesterday if you need to see them. Just ask.

Also, could this have anything to do with using Foam Balls on Hardpan ground? That's just a thought I had a second ago.

We've all been there... it comes and goes. 99% of your swing is the same as it was the other day, but that 1% makes all the difference (or so it feels). But, hardpan can quickly turn you into a sweeper (just like hitting off of hard mats). If you go to grass or a "fluffy" mat, then that same sweeping motion may not get down far enough for proper contact. Anyways, a lot of what you're describing sounds like an early release of the wrists. Make sure those hands/arms are dropping down from the top of the backswing and not retracing the backswing path down to the ball. That should allow the wrists to naturally hold that angle until just before impact. Good luck.

Well after hitting more balls out there, another symptom: What feels like fantastic impact, only sends the ball a few inches off the ground. The sound and feeling is there, but the ball just won't go in the air.

You're flipping the club, every single symptom points to that. Figure out what the cause is. If you can film your swing, that would be the best option, and we can take a look. I would focus on swinging and keeping the wrists totally out of it, just keep them totally stiff, like Steve Stricker.

Well here's a video from yesterday's frustration. It's currently dark and rainy right now, so video taping isn't really an option. Although, if needed, I'll take more videos tomorrow at the course.

Flipping seemed likely to me too, but that video seems to say otherwise.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yeah, no real flipping there. Everything looks pretty good. A few minor things:

1. You have a fairly active hip and leg action. It reminds me of Johnny Miller or Tom Watson from back in the day. Most golfers of today have a little less hip turning (and consequently knee movement) in the backswing with the left foot staying fairly planted on the ground (although the weight will shift partly to the inside of the foot).
2. I'm a bit hesitant to even mention it, but it looks like you impact the ground about 3-5 inches ahead of the ball. You do a real good job of moving your hips forward on the downswing that you might be a bit ahead of the ball. May want to try experimenting with moving it forward an inch or two.

Good luck.

Well today I don't know what I was- I think perhaps it was the fact I was hitting real balls on an actual fairway- but I got my swing back ten fold. I stuck a 140 yard 8 iron within inches. It's such a relief to get the feel back in my swing.

I dont see any issue with it. Whatever works for you. You are looking off of tigers swing and that isnt always a good thing because everoynes swing is diffrent. If you try to mimic him its probably going to do more harm than good. I am no expert but thats my opinion. I just put this video on here to show that sometimes early hip turn is a good thing.

What I Play:

Driver: Sumo 5000 9.5*
Fairway Woods : S2 15*/18*
Irons : MP 58 3-PW S3000 StiffWedges : Spin Milled 54*/58*Putter : Pro Platinum Newport 2Ball : Pro V1 ( Used )Bag : (Cart Bag) Twister 2010 (Stand Bag)

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering, what are some drills I can do to keep myself from coming too far inside? I'm really content with my swing now, but my too far inside swing path is causing me to be extremely inconsistent.

I'm pretty sure it's caused my hips turning aggressively, and my club trailing too far behind, but how can I fix this?

Note: This thread is 4742 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!