IGNORED

Who Does Augusta National Pair up with Tiger?

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 5137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Why should Tiger be given comfortable pairings like Mark O' Meara and other players he's close to?

You miss the point...It's not about Tiger. The media will be a nightmare around him not to mention the few fans that may get out of hand. A player with a ligit shot at winning the masters would be crazy to want to play in that circus. As said before a player that is way back in the standings may want to play with him just to get their name out. It just wouldn't be fair to players to randomly put them with Tiger.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do they have to baby and coddle him? Contrary to Mark Steinberg, he's "not a kid who deserves a break." He's a 34 year old man.

CBS wants ratings and attract even more casual fans? Pair him with Tom Watson who blistered him and Ernie Els who essentially called Tiger, selfish.

Tiger's always bragged about his military background and his navy seal type mentality, well, welcome back, son. You'll be with Ernie and Tom teeing off at 3PM just about when ESPN will start airing the Masters. My only wish is that is was a foursome and they would add Sergio Garcia. Mentally tough and can overcome anything, right? Let's put that to the test.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

But it's Augusta.There won't be any circus at Augusta.As I keep reading in articles.. 'The circus will be outside'.Carefully chosen and limited press actually present on the course, and a generally more well behaved and Golf-loving crowd who just consider themselves lucky to be there.Couple that with strict marshalls on course - you won't hear a peep from any of them.Yes, the crowd following the group will be large, but when is a group following Tiger never large?Most tour players will already have experienced that kind of attention, it's not going to bother them.I don't see why anything different should be done, personally.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

I see you guys point, but I still think there will be more buzz than normal. It will mainly be Thursday after that the officials will have weeded out most of the A holes. I'd hate to see a good player loose a shot at winning based on that. Tiger will be lucky to make the cut no matter who he's with so I don't think it will help him any if he's paired with O'Meara or whomever.

Driver.... Nickent DX Evolver V2 65 stiff /07 Burner YS6+ stiff .
4 wood..... Nickent 4DX
Hybrids.....Tour Edge Geomax 22* 25* 28*
Irons.....TM R7 6-P + AW,SW,LW
Putter.....Odyssey White Hot XG 2 BallBag.......Callaway ORG 14 A.L.I.C.E. Ball........Bridgestone e6 / Srixon Soft Feel...

Stricker and AK.....both of them are good guys, get attention anyway, fairly level headed, and would be able to focus on the golf.....besides, they both like Tiger.....politically, the Masters is better off pairing him the best way possible......it would be crappy for someone that doesn't support him to get caught up in the circus and have to deal with the associated crap....

LOL at the Sabatini and Poulter pairing, that would be a huge train wreck, but very entertaining

Presumably we will get a hint of gallery behavior during the practice rounds on Monday and Tuesday, and perhaps during the Par 3 contest on Wednesday? I say 'presumably' because it has not been announced whether Tiger is going to do the practice and Par 3 rounds. I should think he would need the practice time on the course; what do you think?

John Hanley
Sugar Land, TX
Driver: Pinemeadow ZR-1 460cc 10.5 degree; senior flex graphite shaft;
6-PW: ProStaff Oversize; graphite (about 13 years old);
Adams Tight Lies fairway woods.

Cleveland CG14 56° sand wedge

Zebra 395gm Mallet putter

Why should Tiger be given comfortable pairings like Mark O' Meara and other players he's close to?

That's exactly why it will be Stricker. They play well together and this will probably be the most watched golf tournament in the history of television. The Masters folks ain't no dummies, they want Tiger to win, and they don't want him paired up with some no names in the 1st two rounds. They want someone who will push Tiger.....so it's gonna be Stricker.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Tiger + Sabbatini + Ames = great ratings!

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

New York Times seems to agree with the Stricker/Omeara pairing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/18/sp...tml?ref=sports

"here are several players who could be considered in that group, or who may be considered veteran enough that the hoopla enveloping Woods will not overly affect their performance. Steve Stricker, the world’s second-ranked golfer, may fall in that group. Stricker and Woods played as a team in last year’s Presidents Cup.

Another golfer who would seem willing to join Woods is Mark O’Meara, who is in the field as a past Masters champion. However, O’Meara, in an interview last week, said that he had not talked to Woods recently. Sean O’Hair is another top player who is friendly with Woods and who said he had texted him regularly. Others who in the past have appeared comfortable playing with Woods in the past — and many are not — would be: Zach Johnson, Jim Furyk, Stewart Cink and Fred Couples. All are major tournament winners. "

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

i dont see the big fuss about the pairings. Its the masters. No one is going to blow $2100 to heckle tiger. Even if they do who cares. If youve gone to any tournament hes played in he has 50% of the spectators following him anyway while the other half follow Phil or Daly(when hes playing well). It wont be any different than usual. Its not like TMZ will get a press pass to follow the groups or Perez Hilton will be out there trying to do commentary on Tiger as hes playing. It will go on as normal.

I just dont see what the big deal is about all of this. Hes Tiger Woods. Its always been like this.

If you read John Feinstein's books it's actually quite funny how they do some of the pairings. For example, there is one known as the "prick pairing" where they put the pricks together. Sometimes they have to be a bit careful because their intentions might be a little obvious.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

What will the "you da man" "get in the hole" guy be yelling?

"get in many holes"?

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Ian Poulter, simply because he would probably crack an inappropriate joke on the first tee

8.5º D2 (Grafalloy Pro Launch Red Stiff)
13.5º 906F2 (UST Proforce V2 65 Stiff)
X12 Pro 2-iron (S300)
MP32 4-PW (S300)
52º Spin Milled (8º Bounce), 58º Spin Milled (12º Bounce) Karsten B60 Tour V2 Pro V1x Pure Touch

If you read John Feinstein's books it's actually quite funny how they do some of the pairings. For example, there is one known as the "prick pairing" where they put the pricks together. Sometimes they have to be a bit careful because their intentions might be a little obvious.

Yeah, that's the USGA's method of pairing for the US Open IIRC. I can't remember if Feinstein says anything about Augusta's method.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

Note: This thread is 5137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!