IGNORED

Pro golfers & gyms

RichF
Note: This thread is 5118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

But if it works for someone who is trying to lose weight, why question it?.

This. With the state of North America's physical well being right now, im all for anything that gets people working out and eating right.

When I see an obese child, I want to knee the parents in the face.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

So, I need a DVD to tell me that if I eat right and excercise, that I'll lose weight? Wow, what else can DVDs teach me?

It's obvious at this point that you've never tried P90X. I'm not sure why you continue to comment on a program that you know nothing about. I'm also not sure why you continue to treat this issue in the fashion that you have; rather than trying to learn more about it, you just insult it blindly. You could be using this opportunity to ask questions rather than bringing this snippy attitude to the conversation.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So, I need a DVD to tell me that if I eat right and excercise, that I'll lose weight? Wow, what else can DVDs teach me?

For some people, that is what they need, or at least what they'll get positive weight-loss results with. Some people need to be guided and have no interest in doing the research themselves. Some people would prefer to switch off their brains and mirror what's on the TV. If it works, who cares?

And then there's an entire P90x internet subculture (message boards, youtube groups, etc.) and some people really thrive on that. I agree with you that it isn't "revolutionary", but it is effective for many people. I don't personally plan to try it, but I know plenty of people who are thrilled with the results.

In the blue Colts bag:

Driver - FT-5 10°
Hybrids - 4DX 15.5°, 20°
Irons/Wedges - CI-7 4-GW, SW | "Free" Warrior 60° LWPutter - TiffanyBalls - various

He called it a "late night infomercial product-nothing more.".

Thats not saying its a scam, its saying that its nothing more than an infomercial product. Its like every other fitness dvd ever sold. Its nothing new.

But, like I said above, as long as its gaining momentum, and people are getting more fit, im all for it. That doesnt mean theres anything spectacular about it. I was actually talking about this last friday with a colleague, and he pretty much called it 'aerobics for men who dont want to bend over and touch their toes'

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Thats not saying its a scam, its saying that its nothing more than an infomercial product. Its like every other fitness dvd ever sold. Its nothing new.

That's a fair opinion. For me, it was new, but to what was already known about fitness by people in general, it was not.

Some people would prefer to switch off their brains and mirror what's on the TV. If it works, who cares?

Disagree here. You definitely can't go mindless drone with this program- you really have to stay focused and really learn about what is going on. For me, it accelerated learning, and I have used what P90X has taught me and built on it through my own readings and studying. It was a great starting point, but I have certainly broaden my horizons since then. Everyone who is successful with P90X can say they've learned a lot and continue to learn more through their own respective studying away from the program.

I was actually talking about this last friday with a colleague, and he pretty much called it 'aerobics for men who dont want to bend over and touch their toes'

Yea I would completely disagree with your colleagues statement- respectfully of course. If he found the Yoga DVD a walk in the park then he is truly in ridiculous shape himself.

Constantine

That's a fair opinion. For me, it was new, but to what was already known about fitness by people in general, it was not.

he wasnt talking about yoga, he was talkling about aerobics.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Although I know very little regarding the P90X training system, it seems to me that it is really no different than enlisting the help of a personal trainer.

The real infomercial scams are the exercise products that claim to help people spot reduce adipose tissue. For example, the Ab Rocker and that sensational neoprene waist belt are the two items that immediately come to mind

"Every man is his own hell" - H.L. Mencken

Although I know very little regarding the P90X training system, it seems to me that it is really no different than enlisting the help of a personal trainer.

You could say "Ab [blank]" and have a lot of words to fill in the blanks...

Ab Rocker, Ab Lounge, Ab Circle, Ab Coaster, Ab Rocket, Ab Flyer, Ab Belt, Ab Revolutionizer, Ab Swing, Ab Chair, Ab Dominator? Do you think Americans are obsessed with abs? We will do anything to have 6 pack abs, except of course giving up eating like pigs and sitting around and watching TV.

Since Tiger started getting muscular, I keep hearing/reading that this golfer works out, that golfer pumps iron, blah-blah-blah, so howcome in 2009:

I have to agree, so I don't bother with the gym ...... walking and range balls are all the workout I need, look at Miguel "The Belly" Jimenez, he smoked Lee Westwood at the Dubai Desert Classic, cigar and all

For sure golfers get a bad rap for fitness, but lets face it some of those guys on tour look really out of shape.

The type of fitness is all relative to the sport being played. I consider myself being fit. My weekly cycling practice goes through mountain ranges of Minoh in Northern Osaka for about 80 K. Yet, I still find myself getting tired on a round of golf that is backed up. Yet, when I was playing golf 4 days a week a few years back I would never get fatigued from slow play. But I can tell you I was not in shape for a 80K bike ride.

I have a good friend of mine playing for Texas Tech. His physic when starting was a scrawny five foot seven boy and now he is a six foot two man. Yet, he hits the ball the same distance. He coach has them training with some of the football players.

There are different measurements of strength and most of them don't apply to golf.

I think the only thing to be cautious is losing flexibility from weight lifting and pulling a muscle.

In my Ping stand bag:
Irons: 3-PW Titleist T blades, 2-iron King Cobra Oversize cavity back
Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action 56 and 60 deg 8 and 6 bounce respectively
Putter: Mizuno Brass Bulls Eye Flange
Woods: King Cobra Pro S9-1 8.5 deg X-stiff, and 15 deg X-stiffShoes: Asics Tour Gels

Weight lifting doesnt affect flexibility, except in the case of steroids, where too much muscle just gets in the way. The average person training every day will never put on enough muscle to affect flexibility, provided they work on their flexibility daily. Also, you have a much better chance of pulling a muscle if your out of shape and dont weight train, then you do if you weight train. If your lifting properly, you wont pull muscles, and muscles strengthened from resistance training, are much more difficult to pull. Every weight training injury i've seen was from: A: Improper movements while lifting B: Lifting to heavy for their own physical ability. And I work with athletes for a living.

Too many myths regarding the dangers of weight training get thrown around, but most of them are baseless. If you train correctly, you will improve your body, not harm it. The fact of the matter is, weight training is the best exercise you can do for your body, along with proper cardio. It is also one of the safest, if its done correctly.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

I have to agree, so I don't bother with the gym ...... walking and range balls are all the workout I need, look at Miguel "The Belly" Jimenez, he smoked Lee Westwood at the Dubai Desert Classic, cigar and all

Unfortunately, this attitude is one of the main problems in Golf. No doubt, some unfit players are very good. But no matter which way you look at it, they'd be much, much better if they were in peak condition. Walking barely qualifies as exercise, unless you get int he realm of 'power walking', and hitting balls at the range is no kind of workout, at all.

North Americans idea of fitness is horrible. This is the reason I do seminars on health, nutrition, and fitness at schools a few times a year, for free. Because people never get the information they need on the subject, and the older they get, the the less they care. I think its important to teach them the proper way to train and eat from a young age. less then 5% of americans are what professionals like myself would call fit. That is both sad and pathetic.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

I think people confuse "flexibility" with "bulk" when talking golf and weight training. I agree fully that you can gain muscle and not lose flexibility. However, if you gain enough muscle, it will put on mass that will effect how you're able to move.

Either way, it still amazes me how out of shape some pro golfers are. I realize you don't have to be an Adonis to play golf, but you'd think these guys would have some fitness routine considering it's part of their profession. One iron shot from the rough, or ball hammered out of a buried lie can be worth huge money for these guys...

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

This thread's still going??

You could say "Ab [blank]" and have a lot of words to fill in the blanks...

Yea, those Ab Blanks are such a joke. Spot fat removal is a myth, folks! If you TIVO one of those commercials, you can see in fine print on the bottom of the screen "Oh yea, you gotta do 60 minutes of cardio and eat better in conjunction with this product."

The fact of the matter is, weight training is the best exercise you can do for your body, along with proper cardio. It is also one of the safest, if its done correctly.

Truth.

Constantine

Annika sorenstam become the best player due to increased fitness workout, strength, flexibility adding 20 or so yards in her distance.
Consistency is going up with a better fit golfer.

But, basically, you hit a ball, have someone drag your bag, and all you do, is hit a ball and walk and wait.
No wonder they are fat and often unfit.

woods have been doing weightlifting since a long time, he aint that bulky.
strength means contractuion, not big.

Robert Something

For sure golfers get a bad rap for fitness, but lets face it some of those guys on tour look really out of shape.

First reasonable post of the thread (apart from the OP).

The fact is, most of the guys on here who have replied and contradicted the 'you-don't-need-to-be-fit-to=play=golf' are all 250lb+ fat-knacks who need to have a reason to get out and do some walking once in a while. So they defend golf as a 'sport'. LMAO: "Fred Couples has legs like Tom Platz....YE Yang was a body-builder....Vijay Singh was a bouncer...Jim Furyk is is wiry-with-muscles..." blah-blah-blah. Hilarious. Some of you guys (as well as needing to go on severe diets), need a reality check (along with your average drive distances.)
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

And if to perfectly illustrate my point...yet again, Ol' Tom Watson is leading at -5.

No, wait...didn't he used to spot for Arnold Schwarzennger?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 5118 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!