IGNORED

How long do you keep your irons?

Note: This thread is 3682 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, im not a Callaway fan, but Nike makes a lot more than the slingshots. I fail to see how making a product you dont like, makes them a joke. In case you didnt notice, the lofts on TM's clubs is about one of the biggest jokes around. And im not saying that to offend you. Its just perspective.

On the Nike side, the VR blades are right behind Miura in the nicest clubs on the planet category. And im sure they work damn well.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

I have no problem with other sets, but why stray away from something that has been working. I tried the r7's wen the first came out and loved them, but didn't buy them because they are oversized, mine are midsized. But, at the time, I wasn't playing enough to start hitting a players club like the TPs, but they too felt great. Golfsmith was having a great deal, 15% off, and these clubs have never dropped in price ($699). I wanted to get them before they run out.

then u obviously havent hit a forged iron yet.....

yes Nike slingshots look funny, I agree.... but Nike makes some of the best forged clubs today and IMO r highly under-rated Mizuno is known for their forging process and their "buttery" feel.....honeslty, Nike's forged clubs to ME feel the same if not better to my knowledge, TM doesnt make a forged iron.....but im not 100% as i dont even look at the TM rack when im at the golf store hey we all have preferences, but to even compare the slingshots to the TP's.......its like apples and oranges dude
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

I understand TM and the delofting, but on the TP r7s they are not. The lofts are the same as I am using now. And I understand that EVRY single company makes great clubs, I just don't like NIKE. Obviously Tiger would not be with them if they didn't make good stuff...or paid him TONS of money.

And yes, TM makes the TP MB Forged irons (smoke).

In my r7 bag:

Driver:r7 460
3 wood:r7
hybrid:burnerirons:320 serieswedges:TP Rac Z 56*, 60*putter:Circa 62 #3balls:prov1x

I question brand loyalty. So sheepish.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

As for other brands, I HATE Callaway and especially NIKE. I think NIKE became a joke when they made the Slingshots. I would try Mizunos and Titleist, but I like the way TaylorMade is going in their technology (besides the r9 line).

How are nike a joke?

The VR line is a joke? Taylormade irons are terrible lately, Burners and R9's. Soon they're going to come up with a 7i with a 3i loft.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

The bag full of TaylorMade suggests you have an unhealthy fixation with that brand.

Nothing wrong with playing the same brand :) The reason I play all Pings is I spent many hours at a Ping fitting and got all my clubs fitted perfectly. No complaints. I own many other brands, and at one point was almost strictly a Titleist man, but the Pings are the one in my current bag because they are what works best for me. Nothing unhealthy about that.

I question brand loyalty. So sheepish.

I think there's definitely a fine line between being brand loyal and being a fanboy. Having said that, I don't think theres a prize for having the most brands per 14 club setup either.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think i'm in the distinct minority. Before this past year I played my PING ISI-K irons for a solid (can't believe it was that long) 12 years.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

i am a part TM fan so here is some stats

PW lofts (º)
Taylormade
Burner Superlaunch 46
Burner 09' 45
R9 46

Titleist
AP1 45

Cobra
S2 43
S2 Forged 43
SZ 44

Ping
G15 45
Rapture 45

Callaway
Diablo Edge 44
X22 45
Diablo 45

Wilson Staff
Di9 42.5
D-FY 44.5

Mizuno
MX 100 45
MX 1000 44
MX 200 45
MX 300 45

Is that enough evidencve that TM aren't the only ones who deloft they are all at it

that's only PW.
7i lofts will be different.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Ok then here is the seven irons

7i lofts (º)
Taylormade
Burner Superlaunch 33
Burner 09' 31
R9 32

Titleist
AP1 33

Cobra
S2 31
S2 Forged 31
SZ 32

Ping
G15 32
Rapture 32

Callaway
Diablo Edge 32
X22 33
Diablo 31

Wilson Staff
Di9 32
D-FY 34

Mizuno
MX 100 33
MX 1000 32
MX 200 33
MX 300 33

Pretty Average Lofts for that style of forgiving club so they still can't be that guilty

I played my R7 irons for several years and thought they were the best and that I would never find a better iron. The 09 Burners are a genuine vast improvement over the R7's. I used to have a bag full of TM's (with exception of my odyssey putter that I have had for 6 years,) but TM wedges are crap IMO and the drivers/fairways produce too much spin for me.

TaylorMade R11S 9 Degree

TaylorMade R5 Dual 3 Wood
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 19 and 22 degree
Ping Eye 2 Plus Irons 4-SW
Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade putter

My irons are now 19 years old. I keep the grips new but I still even have the original shafts in them. I have not hit anything that I like better...so why switch.

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

• 3 years later...

I have used my Cobra S9 since'07

for me there are something that i have to consider.

How much do i love the clubs? and how much i enjoy playing with it.

I like changing mine every 5-7 years because i think the perfomance in 7 years playing  my game tends to improve. So by changing would help em improve my game.

Same brand just new tech and i love how sexy my Cobra AMP CELL pro irons look in my bag!

4-5 years.

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have no problem switching iron sets. I keep mine until they either lose too much value or if I just can't hit the greens with them. I try to play the best irons money can buy, which in it's own self, means it is an operator problem, not the clubs fault...So yes I really suck at golf. ...and thankfully the lord gave me the opportunity to play the game of golf..with really nice irons...on really nice courses...created. I think I have gone through ten sets in the past ten years easy. My best set ever became illegal in 2010 because of the "groove rule" but I am still running the paces after shelving them. I also turn my irons around so I can help the local economy. I've taken a stance were online merchants are good to buy apparel and balls. When it come to the clubs & accessories I'll buy from a course or range. that helps them meet their bottom line... and they will be open when you visit or play.  It may cost a few bucks more but it makes a difference. TGW & Golfsmith do not own any courses in the area I golf in that I know...I am not kicking them to the curb. But if you need new irons seek a local purveyor and spread the wealth locally.....Like me, Like you...they have bills to pay too...Sooo

Once a year or two...typically.

Note: This thread is 3682 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!