IGNORED

Thoughts on GPS/Range finder etiquette...

localhawaii
Note: This thread is 5163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
My general rule with a rangefinder is that I will give anyone who wants to know what my yardage is from my spot. Most of the time, they can figure it out from that. I will announce the distance on par 3s if anyone wants to know. If I am sitting in the cart waiting, I will get a distance for someone if it doesn't take me out of my routine. I am not going to drive to 3 other spots on the course to get a yardage for you. It is important to me to have a correct distance, if it is important to you, spend the $300 and get one for yourself.

I'm pretty much of the same opinion. I'll happily give yardages, and often will if my ball is ahead of someone else's so I have to wait anyway... but in the end, they should get their own GPS or laser if they rely on distances that much. That almost never happens though - the courses I play at are mostly member courses so people know the yardages (or think they do) on their own.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

wait, so you were using you laser scope in a money (comp) game.......... I think you've answered your own question. It's cheating, and not giving the info to your mate (who you're only having a friendly bet with) any advice from your cheating seems REALLY petty.

My thoughts exactly. If these are good buddies and guys you play with all the time, to not give the yardage, especially on the tee if they ask, is a total d!ck move. Yeah, if a guy is across the fairway you shouldn't be expected to run across and give him a yardage or even get out of the cart to give your cart partner a yardage (you should let him use the rangefinder if he asks, though).

Even if you're somewhat close, it's common courtesy, if someone nearby asks to just say something like "147 from here" and they can figure it in their head from there.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

Let me first thank everyone for their thoughts. I didnt imagine I was going to be alluded to male or female genitals but then again I did solicit your thoughts. :P I am still on the fence as to where I stand. What makes it tough is the fact that EVERYONE in the group has a GPS device, so why the heck do they keep asking what the yardage is? I can imagine if one of them did not have a device, but again, we all have something to tell us the distance. It seems the group is split on this, but I do take away the notion that I should win based on my skills and not what a device tells me. Thanks everyone for your input!

Taylormade BSF 2.0 9.5° Driver

2011 Burner 3 Wood

2007 Burner TP 5 Wood
Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Irons
09 Spin Milled Vokeys- 46°, 52°, 58° Wedges CG-14 60° Wedge Odyssey Black Series i #1 Putter

What makes it tough is the fact that EVERYONE in the group has a GPS device, so why the heck do they keep asking what the yardage is?

Because they know the GPS is useless most of the time with big greens and not knowing where the flag is. They are jealous that you were smart enough to buy the device that will get a accurate yardage and not just hte general yardage.

Don't mean to open a can of worms, but I play with a few GPS people that are like that.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

Most courses have some indication of the flag's location on the green. Anybody should be able to guesstimate the flag's distance within a few yards (even on large greens), so I don't know why the GPS folks are asking for a #. Maybe just want confirmation from a different source? If the course doesn't either have color coded pins or a daily A/B/C pin placement, then WTF? For 99% of golfers, a 2-3% margin of error isn't going to make a difference. I don't suppose you ever ask the GPS folks how far to clear bunker X or hazard Y, do you?

While I have a GPS, the purchase was partly because I'm a gadget geek and it would save some time looking for markers and sprinkler heads. I doubt it's had any effect on my scoring except for courses I might be unfamiliar with where I need to know how far to carry some shots or if there are "hidden" hazards. Once I've played a course a couple of times, they're not nearly as useful. Besides, they still don't tell you the more important stuff like the slope of the green and where to try to hit your approach (multi-tiered green, long is dead, etc).

Hi all,

IMO if you are playing for money you either share, or put it away.

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

i just got one, i love it for the front and back yardages mostly, this gives me my club range. No need to know 185 to the middle, i rather know 170 to the frong, 190 to the back, things like that. Then i know that if i hit a club to a max of 185, i wont go over..

I also like measuring my shots, then i can keep track of my yardages and gaps between my clubs better..

I say give him the yardage, he still has to hit the shot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i just got one, i love it for the front and back yardages mostly, this gives me my club range. No need to know 185 to the middle, i rather know 170 to the frong, 190 to the back, things like that. Then i know that if i hit a club to a max of 185, i wont go over..

Yep, this is what I like about the uPro Go with Go mode. All flags are marked front/center/back at the course I play on the most and with that I can usually dial in the yardage to a yard or two being able to move the cursor around near the green. Mostly, though, bunker clearance and back distance are the most important.

Titleist 910D3 8.5* Aldila RIP
Titleist 910F 13.5* Diamana Kai'li
Nickent 4DX 20* and 24*
Tour Preferred 5-PW
52.08, 56.14, 60.04 Titleist Vokey

Odyssey Metal-X #9 Putter

Pro V1x

this is supposed to be a gentleman's game. I'm not going to follow you around and give yardages, but I have no problem giving you a distance if I'm right there. I'd call douche bag if I asked and you responded with "I don't think so". You can be competitive and want to win without having to be an a-hole. Besides, aren't you playing with friends? Why wouldn't you help a friend in need?

My swing thoughts:

- Negative thinking hurts more than negative swinging.
- I let my swing balance me.
- Full extension back and through to the target. - I swing under not around my body. - My club must not twist in my swing. - Keep a soft left knee

I play with someone that although is a nice enough guy has this massive ego about the distances he hits but is almost always short. So I am lasering whatever targets during the round and he keeps asking to give him a reading. I decide to have a little fun and I start adding 10 to 15 yards to the measurement. We get to a par 3 and it measures 155 to the flag so I tell him it's 170. He takes out his 7 iron and hits a nice shot to about 10 ft pin high. So for the rest of the day I am adding yardages and he is just going nuts about the "distance" he is hitting as he is finally hitting greens. I never did tell him what I did but it was funny that night listening to him talk about "finding the secret" to hitting longer. I predict next time out he may find he is hitting much shorter than he expects.... I'll let him on the "secret" afterwords....

Give them the yardage. Don't be a dick.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I play with someone that although is a nice enough guy has this massive ego about the distances he hits but is almost always short. So I am lasering whatever targets during the round and he keeps asking to give him a reading. I decide to have a little fun and I start adding 10 to 15 yards to the measurement. We get to a par 3 and it measures 155 to the flag so I tell him it's 170. He takes out his 7 iron and hits a nice shot to about 10 ft pin high. So for the rest of the day I am adding yardages and he is just going nuts about the "distance" he is hitting as he is finally hitting greens. I never did tell him what I did but it was funny that night listening to him talk about "finding the secret" to hitting longer. I predict next time out he may find he is hitting much shorter than he expects.... I'll let him on the "secret" afterwords....

That is pretty funny!!! LOL

In my SasQuatch carry bag.
909D2 9.5* (Aldila Voodo Shaft)
FT 3W 15* (Fujikura E370 Shaft Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 21* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)
FT Hybrid 24* Nuetral (Fujikura Fit On M Hybrid Stiff Flex)Irons: X22 Tour 5 thru PW (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300) 2* upright (also...

Note: This thread is 5163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!