IGNORED

Advise on long par 4's

Bug Bunny
Note: This thread is 5150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay guys, I just really started playing last year. I'm actually starting to get a lil consistency with my swing, save 4-5 strokes per round. Here ismy question, I'm pretty short on my yardages right now which is fine fir the moment. PW is 100, 9 is 110 and so on. But here is my struggle. On the LONG par 4's where I have no chance of reaching in two, what is the best approach to the hole? For instance, there is one hole that has a water hazard from 220-240 so I tee off with a 3 wood (170-180) but that leaves me 220 or so to the hole which I have no club for. What would you do??

if you only hit a 3 wood 180, that should put your driver at 200-210, perfect distance.

Play the hole as a boogie / par hole and leave the big number out. approach the third shot will an approach to a comfortable distance and stick the wedge to give yourself a memorable up and down or settle for a boogie.

The key is good course managment and a better short game.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Okay guys, went out yesterday and here is how it went......... Choked down on my driver a bit to try and get to the edge of the water. Shanked it just enough that it sliced but I stil had a decent lie but a horrible angle of attack. Had 180 to the hole but really the only way to lay up was out because of a tree so I went for it. Hit my 3 wood almost perfect and landed 10' from the front of the green. Jacked the chip up but two putted from there and left the hole with a bogey. All in all, very happy but unless those specific circumstances occer again, from this point, I'll take the right side out, lay up and feel VERY comfortable I can bogey most times! All in all, I'm definitely not dreading the hole as I was before! Thanks for the advise.

In my Nike SasQuatch Staff Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 9.5 Stiff
Irons: Ping G5 4-P
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56*, Cleveland bent to 49*
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey
Ball: Srizon Z-Star Yellow
Range: SkyCaddie 2.5

It sounds like a classic golf risk reward situation. Here are some possibilities:

1. Driver off tee, driver off deck, putt for birdie
2. Driver/3-wood off tee, 3-wood off fairway, up and down for par
3. Driver/3-wood off tee, 5-iron off fairway, short iron off fairway, 1 putt for par

Of course option 3 is playing for bogey but don't rule out if your ego can handle it. If you play for score and would like to get from say the 90's to the 80's it may help if it eliminates the big scores.

Titleist 909D Comp 10.5º
Titleist 906F2 15º
Titleist 585.H 19º
Titleist 710 AP1 4-PW
Callaway X-Forged 52º, 56º, 60ºTitleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Titleist Pro V1x

It sounds like a classic golf risk reward situation. Here are some possibilities:

Well said, I'll run through them!

Option 1 - I CANNOT hit my D off the deck! Option 2 - If I don't hit my 3w perfect, I'm in trouble with an awkward yardage Option 3 - I know I'm not going to birdie but the 7's and 8's are off the table as well. I'd rather lose the chance of 3's to eliminate the 7's, 8's and 6's also really. So for now, with trying to get to where I can shoot in the 80's (first 80's was yesterday, 89.... OH YEAH!) I'm more concerned with eliminating the triples and doubles than adding birdies! So, until things change, option 3 is my choice!

In my Nike SasQuatch Staff Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 9.5 Stiff
Irons: Ping G5 4-P
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56*, Cleveland bent to 49*
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey
Ball: Srizon Z-Star Yellow
Range: SkyCaddie 2.5

I'd try a driver off the tee, and see where that brings you. Theres a good chance that if your hitting you 3 wood off the tee 180 yards, then you should still be short of the Hazard with the driver. I would at least try it. If you come up just short of the hazard, that will leave you a 180 yard 3 wood to the green, or end up just short of it. If your on the green, you can 2 putt for the par, and if your short of the green, you can still try to chip it close to the hole, and putt in for par, or hopefully at worst a bogey.

Its worth at least trying, if you end up in the Hazard off the tee, then you know it wasnt the right shot. But laying up at 180 gives you two more shots to the green, and makes par very unlikely. So it doesnt hurt to try.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Bugs,

If you improve your 3W off the fairway, your options shape up like this: What does hole look like around the green?
* If it is open up the middle, or has an open side, you could go with Option 2: Lay up close, and chip for up and down.
* If green has lots of trouble around it - deep bunkers, steep banks - you might go with Option 3: Lay up to wedge range, and spin the ball going in.

And as you say, with O2 or O3, you take the 7s and 8s off the table.

And remember, most golfers have to contend with the forced layup. Sounds like the hole was originally a par 5, but they lost the back tee area.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Okay guys, I just really started playing last year. I'm actually starting to get a lil consistency with my swing, save 4-5 strokes per round. Here ismy question, I'm pretty short on my yardages right now which is fine fir the moment. PW is 100, 9 is 110 and so on. But here is my struggle. On the LONG par 4's where I have no chance of reaching in two, what is the best approach to the hole? For instance, there is one hole that has a water hazard from 220-240 so I tee off with a 3 wood (170-180) but that leaves me 220 or so to the hole which I have no club for. What would you do??

Based on your distance on the 3w, I would assume you Driver is somewhere in the 200-220 range...if so, tee off with your driver and shoke up a little on the shaft to be on the safe side. After that go for it with your 3w off the deck tha should leave you on the green or darn near it for a chip shot!

My $0.02 anyway
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

Note: This thread is 5150 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!