IGNORED

Champions Gate vs OC National

Note: This thread is 5252 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm heading to Orlando for a friend's wedding in June. Unfortunately, nobody else in the wedding is a golfer. I'll probably have enough time to add 2 nights and 1 day to my trip.

Seeing as how I've never done any destination golfing, I thought I'd go see the big places like Champions Gate and Orange County National for at least 36 holes.

Anyone suggest one more than the other? Am I forgetting a course that is a must for the area?

In my bag:

One for slicing
One for hooking
One for knocking it in the cup

I haven't played Champions Gate, but thought that Panther Lake at OCN was a darn sight better than most of the expensive but forgettable courses in Orlando.

----------------------------------
909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
909F2 15.5 and 18.5 Whiteboard
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

What about Bay Hill?

Don't have the coin for Bay Hill Lodge and links.

In my bag:

One for slicing
One for hooking

I just booked 4 days at OCN for the end of this month. Cant wait to get there do nothing but golf for 4 days. I will let you know my experience with OCN when I get back.

Driver Hyper X 9*
3 Wood Tight Lies
Hybrids Hyper X 3 & 4
Irons 5 - 9, PW Mizuno JPX 800
Wedge 50, 54, 60 Vokey Spin Milled Putter Ping Anser Ball e7+

I just booked 4 days at OCN for the end of this month. Cant wait to get there do nothing but golf for 4 days.

Have a fun trip!

I'm planning the same kind of trip, just 3 days.

In my bag:

One for slicing
One for hooking

OCN is a good layout but green conditions were horrendous in January. Very grainy and bumpy. We enjoyed Grand Cypress exponentially better than OCN. Try to find out conditions before you layout that kind of money. If you're going to go big, make it worth it.

I've been to both locations and have played their courses a total of 7 times (yearly business trip to Orlando in December is when I get to play). I would suggest OCN as it's manicured beautifully. It's also cool to say that you played a course that hosted Q school.

Champions gate is very nice as well. The national course at Champions gate is better that the international course however, both of them aren't as nice at Panther Lake at OCN. Also OCN, has been rated as one of the best value places to play in Florida and USA.

Enjoy your trip!!

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Both OCN and Championsgare have 2 good layouts. The International course at Championsgate is a links inspired course (or at least as linksy as the area allows similar to Grand Cypress New). Overall, I prefer OCN which is less expensive.

If you want some good golf at lower cost take a drive north of Orlando and play Deltona, Sugarloaf, Victoria Hills or Timacuan.

Here is a link to my favorite Orlando courses list & photos:

http://golfcourses.weebly.com/orlando-fl.html

• 2 weeks later...
When we played OCN in Jan. we played with a couple of locals who had played everywhere in the area. With the conditions of OCN at the time, they strongly recommended Champions Gate. That's in our plans for next year.

• 2 weeks later...
Just returned from OCN. I would give the overall rating 4 of 5 stars. The staff was top notch. It was nice having our bags on the cart every morning. Tees, towels, and bottles of ice water in cooler all ready to go. Beautiful courses and great layouts. We stayed at the lodge. Rooms were comfortable, nothing special, but we were not expecting the Hilton either, we were here to play golf. The driving range is incredible. I have never seen a range like OCN's, HUGE is a good word. Nice chipping and practice sand bunkers also. The ONLY thing that was a negative (and they informed me a week prior to our trip) was the greens were in bad shape due to winter frosts. Some greens were better than others, but overall they were a 2-3 on a scale of 10. They are top coated already, which the staff explained to us that means the greens will be great in about a month. The restaurant was great and every food we ordered (with the exception of the Sunday crab legs) was great. I would definitely return here again when the greens are in better shape.

They did give us 8 guest appreciation coupons. Good for $20 off a round of golf at OCN. Valid from Sept.1 2010 through Dec. 31 2011 . I do not expect to be back there next year, and would be up for offers on all of these. PM me if interested. The total value of all 8 would be $160. I can send pics to verify.

Driver Hyper X 9*
3 Wood Tight Lies
Hybrids Hyper X 3 & 4
Irons 5 - 9, PW Mizuno JPX 800
Wedge 50, 54, 60 Vokey Spin Milled Putter Ping Anser Ball e7+

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not a big links guy, but CG and OCN's Crooked Cat are 2 good ones. I prefer Panther Lakes course @ OCN, but agree with previous posts: it was in horrible condition in Jan'10. Presuming better shape by now, it's "must play". I've also frequented Reunion (resort) - formerly private, now public, albeit pricey. Reunion has Watson & Palmer (both v. nice) courses, but the jewel there is their Nicklaus course: IMO much nicer layout/challenge than it's near next door neighbor, CG. Also worth considering: Celebration GC (in that neighborhood) which is fun layout for cheap ($50-ish) now. Enjoy it.

Note: This thread is 5252 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!