IGNORED

My Swing (noob)

noob
Note: This thread is 5042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

I've only started playing the game a few months ago and this is my driver swing. One major flaw is that my head drops too much on the backswing and I'm fixing that. But other than that I have 2 questions:

Should I try to fix everything from the get go, or I should practice more, so I can hit the ball more consistently before I should try to fix every little things? As of now I still have frequent mishit

I am new but I practice very often (6-8 hours a week indoor or at driving range) and will be able to actually follow your advice here.

Thanks in advance!

The video:

It's just a case of needing fundamentals. The swing in this case is a bunch of complicated moves to try and hit the ball, when you really only need to turn your body and hinge your wrists.

I would start from scratch, learn the proper setup, grip, and then practice turning back and turning through. Also, leave the driver in the bag, it's not important right now. Learn to hit irons and wedges, not drivers. Just get comfortable with the proper setup and grip first though, this looks incredibly uncomfortable.

I appreciate the comments.

This is my iron swing it was after about 1 month of instructions. For this I had what I believed was the fundamentals, it's supposed to be just a matter of me executing all the instructions I had.

(Should I switch to another instructor?)

i just watched your driver swing, you look really uncomfortable in your set up, you sort of arch your bak and it looks like it stops you swinging properly! relax a bit more!

while you look very uncomfortable, it did appear that at least two of those shots with the driver were nice and straight

In my bag

Driver - c3 bullet 10.5 degree
Woods- c3 bullet 5 wood
Hybrids- 3dx 3 and 4Irons- 3dx 5-pwWedges- Purespin golf tour series gw,sw,lwPutter- antiguaBall - :taylormade: Burner TP

• Administrator
Based on the second video, you need to stand up a little more in the backswing and push forward more with the hips. Your weight gets left very late.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For several months of playing, I think your swing looks great. However, focus on the feel of the swing (timing, balance, release) rather than results of the shot for right now. As others have stated, you do look a little stiff and uncomfortable over the ball. Also, work on your swing with a mid-iron rather than the driver.

One thing that I noticed is that through impact your hands are pretty passive. As you address the ball and set up, waggle, etc., it's obvious that your wrists are tight. This is going to restrict your transition, and especially restrict your release through the ball. As you set up, relax your wrists and let your waggle illustrate the opening and closing of the clubface through impact. Allow your hands to be fluid and active through impact (in combination with working on a firmer left side) will help you being to release properly through the ball. Good luck!

I think you are on a great track.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

That iron swing looks a hundred percent better than the driver swing. If you would just swing the driver like that 7 iron (choke up if you have to), and use the same tempo, arm extension, relaxed feeling, the change would be night and day. However, your weight lags quite a bit in both shots on your left foot during your downswing. For you to really start hitting straight shots, you need to the left side.

it is a very good swing for playing for such a little amount of time. all id say is drop your hands a bit, dont have it in a straight line from your arms to the shaft, give it a bit of an angle. but if it works for you then its up to you what you do with it.

oh, and try and hold on to the driver at the end of your swing :)

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

For several months of playing, I think your swing looks great. However, focus on the feel of the swing (timing, balance, release) rather than results of the shot for right now. As others have stated, you do look a little stiff and uncomfortable over the ball. Also, work on your swing with a mid-iron rather than the driver.

I agree with this.

In addition, one thing you can do to get you on track to being more condsistent (and I know I am a 19 handicapper but I have also only been playing for a year and a half) is to read up on the fundamentals of the address position. For example, on your first video, the shaft of the club was more in line with your shoulders when in reality, it should be pointing directly at your belt at address. When you are standing over the ball, you should have your weight on the front of your feet with your shoulders over your toes and your arms basically hanging straight down (or it should feel as if they are) making the end of the shaft point directly at your belt. All in all, I would say that is very good for just begining and your second video looked fantastic. You have a nice smooth tempo (Which is essential for playing golf) and I think you will do just fine.

Driver - Taylor Made 09 Burner.
3 Wood - Callaway Diablo.
Hybrid Irons - Adams A30S
Wedges - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. 56*, 60* Taylormade Rac.
Putter - Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1.

His shaft doesn't have to be at an angle to his arms, he could be trying for a single plane swing, in which case his arms are fine. It all depends what he likes better. Moe Norman, after all, set up like that:

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Recently I posted a video of me swinging with the driver and received a lot of VERY useful feedback. Most of which deals with me being too tense in my setup, holding too tight a grip and lack of balance in the follow through. I've tried to relaxed more and couple days ago recorded a few swings.

Current 52* wedge swing (4 months playing):

I would appreciate if you guys can give me some more suggestions and hints.

Thanks much!

Previous driver swing (2 months)

Early iron swing (1 month)

His shaft doesn't have to be at an angle to his arms, he could be trying for a single plane swing, in which case his arms are fine. It all depends what he likes better. Moe Norman, after all, set up like that:

When I look at this picture I'm not sure I could even take the club back if I started in that position.

I guess the positive would be that if you stand that far from the ball it would almost be impossible to come over the top :)

Driver: VRS 9.5 degrees

Fairway Wood: 13 degrees
Hybrid: A3 19 degrees

Irons: i20's  Yellow dot

Wedges: Vokey's 52, 56 & 60

Putter: 2 ball

Ball: Penta; ProV

Note: This thread is 5042 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!