IGNORED

Shaft stiffness.

Note: This thread is 6390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I can't wait for Erik to read this post, he should have a field day with all the misinformation you've just presented.

I was in Akron yesterday covering the WGC event there (yawn, Tiger wins again) and from the looks of it, y'all have covered the misinformation quite well yourselves. Thanks.

I agree to a point about hitting a lower ball in wind but the problem with that is when people try to force the ball lower which often means hitting down on the ball and then creating more spin which ultimately hurts you more in the wind.

The Titleist Science Van guys I hung out with last year were pretty adamant that a lower ball flight was NOT good in the wind. They were adamant that within a very small range (a half degree of launch and 100 RPM), "ideal launch conditions" were ideal launch conditions

everywhere . That's based on their science, too, and isn't just their opinion. And I'm just passing it on. One of the points they made was that you're downwind as often as you're upwind, so why penalize yourself going downwind with a lower-launch driver without gaining much at all (5-10 yards, and only if the fairways are very firm) hitting a lower ball into the wind?
As a general rule of thumb you will not gain on the ground what you lose in the air. While not true for everyone it is a good starting point.

Ditto that. That's a good summary of what the Titleist Science Van guys said. Full article (which doesn't focus much on this particular topic, admittedly) is

here .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Titleist Science Van guys I hung out with last year were pretty adamant that a lower ball flight was NOT good in the wind. They were adamant that within a very small range (a half degree of launch and 100 RPM), "ideal launch conditions" were ideal launch conditions everywhere. That's based on their science, too, and isn't just their opinion. And I'm just passing it on. One of the points they made was that you're downwind as often as you're upwind, so why penalize yourself going downwind with a lower-launch driver without gaining much at all (5-10 yards, and only if the fairways are very firm) hitting a lower ball into the wind? Ditto that. That's a good summary of what the Titleist Science Van guys said. Full article (which doesn't focus much on this particular topic, admittedly) is

That makes alot of sense...

Blah Blah Blah... Hmm... That's why 80% of top PGA Pro players including the best, Tiger Woods, used Driver lofts 9.5 or lower and 75g or heavier X-Stiff shafts on their driver which all promotes a lower ball launch and flight...

woah thanks for alll the great info.. didnt meant to start a war heh. Still nobody said whether or not the hibore was good for me or not. i was tihnking of trying the ust shaft :) from what you guys said it sounds very nice.

Don't go with a Hi-bore, I heard it's unforgiving compare to other driver heads out there.

I would go with TM 425, TM 460, Titleist 905R or Ping G5. TM usually don't have alot of exotic shaft options but their own shafts though. UST Proforce V2 75 shaft is ok, a poorman's version of the Real Speeder 757. The V2 feels hollow and is lighter, less dense than the 757. The 757 and V2 75 are more of a dead/firm feeling shaft, if you like that go for it. I wouldn't recommand the 757 since it's for heavy hitters... If you like more feedback and feel, go with the Aldila NV 75 or GD YS-7+ GL. Again check the shaft option here: http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/dr...hash=1#pagebot

Still nobody said whether or not the hibore was good for me or not. i was thinking about getting it because i have heard that it is very nice. .... i was tihnking of trying the ust shaft :) from what you guys said it sounds very nice.

I have a HiBORE with the UST V2 75g shaft and I'm pretty happy with it. I'd say it's definately worth a shot. Especially since many stores will have this head/shaft combination in stock and it won't run you any more $ or time to have this combination. You can look at the other shaft offeriings for the HiBORE at

http://hibore.com/ Also I don't know if you've read this or not but here's a review on the HiBORE . It will still come down to you testing the different clubs, seeing what looks good to your eyes, how it feels, sounds, etc.
Don't go with a Hi-bore, I heard it's unforgiving compare to other driver heads out there. I would go with TM 425, TM 460, Titleist 905R or Ping G5.

I haven't done a head to head comparison but from my experience playing the HiBORE and 905, I would give the HiBORE the edge on forgiveness.

Don't go with a Hi-bore, I heard it's unforgiving compare to other driver heads out there.

You

heard it's unforgiving... Wouldn't that indicate that you really have no real world experience with the club? I went from the Comp Launcher to the HiBore specifically because I heard the opposite of what you've stated here, and while it isn't the end of all other clubheads as Cleveland would like you to believe, it's a pretty solid concept I'd reccomend to just about anyone looking for a new driver...
In My Bag:

Taylormade: Superquad 9.5 Aldila VS Proto 'By You' 70-S
Sonartec: SS-07 14.0 Aldila NV 85-S
Cleveland: Halo, 3i UST Irod 83-SPing: i-10 4-UW AWT-STitleist: Vokey Design Spin Milled 54.10 & 60.08Slighter: Handstamped Tacoma, 350G in Black Satin w/Sound Slot

• Administrator
That makes alot of sense...

You've clearly missed the point. There's one optimal ball flight and launch angle (for each individual's ball speed). If a pro went to a LOWER ball flight than

their optimal ball flight, they'd be losing distance, even in the wind. Pay attention. And cut the lame behavior. This is your final warning.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's a great point that should not be lost amongst all this. . .

THERE IS AN OPTIMAL LAUNCH ANGLE AND SPIN RATE FOR YOUR SWING SHAPE AND SPEED TO MAXIMIZE DISTANCE.

Head loft and shaft specs vary so that once a launch monitor reveals you are launching lower than optimal with too much spin, (or reverse) you can combine equipment together, alter your launch dynamics and ACHIEVE OPTIMAL DISTANCE!

Don't buy any driver without launch monitor assistance!

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

Gas_Can and all the other shaft experts.

I would like your "general" comments on a couple shafts you didn't mention if possible. I have a little experience with them but I want to see if your comments reflect my experience (to see how good or bad I am at picking shafts for myself, LOL). Thanks.

They are:

Graphite Designs YS-6+
Accuflex Evolution Lite
Grafalloy Prototype Comp NT

All you guys are welcome to reply as long as you don't criticize each other. Just give your opinion and leave it at that.

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

iacas: This is your final warning.

Your nonsense is getting boring and I am bored of messing with your head. lol.

yawn... zzz... Not even going to bother responding to anything you have to say. Too boring... You're ignored. Thanks.
THERE IS AN OPTIMAL LAUNCH ANGLE AND SPIN RATE FOR YOUR SWING SHAPE AND SPEED TO MAXIMIZE DISTANCE.

Sorry.

No, the main factor in maximizing distance in driving is swing speed at impact, the kind of golf ball you use, and the ball need to be hit on the sweet spot of the driver head and the shot must be taking a straight or slightly draw flight depending on where it's aimed. Not launch angle or spin rate, those affects are minimal. All modern driver head are produce to create minimal spin for maximum distance, regardless of loft. You can also adjust those depending on where you hit on the club face. FYI, 1 or 2 degrees difference (example 8.5 or 9.5) in driver loft does not make that much difference, it only promote very slight lower or higher initial launch repectively. The shaft being used actually has greater effect on overall flight path than the loft of the driver.
Graphite Designs YS-6+ Accuflex Evolution Lite Grafalloy Prototype Comp NT

The GD YS-6+ shaft is like an Aldila NV 65 which is a light weight shaft that promotes med to high launch and has good feel feedback as with all the GD YS+ shafts. It's made for smooth/med swing speed players.

Don't know much about the Accuflex shaft. The Grafalloy comes in 65 or 85. You're talking about the 65 version it's similar to Aldila's new VS shafts with nanotube in the resin system which produces a lighter weight but still is a strong shaft. So it's lighter but yet plays as strong as previous models like the popular Grafalloy Blue. As with any shaft, you need to know what weight you would like to swing with in your driver and woods. They come in 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 100s gram classes. As the shaft gets heavier they are lower in torque (resistence in shaft twisting) depending on which brand and models torque difference varies. As the shafts gets heavier they also have a lower launch trajectory. 50s gram class shafts = high launch trajectory and for slow swing tempo 60s gram class shafts = med/high launch trajectory and for smooth/med swing tempo 70s/80s gram class shafts = med/low launch trajectory and for med/fast swing tempo 90s/100s gram class shafts = low launch trajectory and for fast swing tempo To pick the right shaft in the weight class you perfer in your wood and driver you should try out different brands as they all feel different because they are all made different. I would recommand Aldila, Fujikura, GD, UST, those are my top brands, there are other brands like Grafalloy, Mitsubishi etc... Also you need to differentiate what models within a brand and in the same weight classes are for high-performerance/tour while some are more for the regular joe. For example the Aldila NV and VS are more high performance vs the Aldila NVS while the Aldila VX/VL are cheap value shafts. http://www.aldila.com/product14.html Another example would be that Fujikura put their different shafts in 4 different categories (E, T, M, and Classics) E is for the masses, T are high performance tour shafts and most are tour proven, M is the Taylor Made models made exclusively for TM, Classics are the Pro Vista and Pro Tour shafts that Fujikura used/test since 2000 to develope their current line... You can always check the lastest driver shafts at titleist.com http://www.titleist.com/golfclubs/dr...bhcp=1#pagebot Most of the shafts there are high/performance except a few... GL find the shaft that best fit you and your swing and preference in your driver and woods, as I have already found my. I still have this feeling that some of the bored a55e5 on this forum is going to trip about this post, even though it has nothing to do with them and it talks about something they don't know much about... rofl, I guess it's just their annoying nature to do so and they don't like looking dumb and seeing someone else talk about something they don't know. alot of jealousy... lol...

• Administrator
Your nonsense is getting boring and I am bored of messing with your head. lol.

Uhh, you can't ignore admins or moderators. Duh. You're now in the penalty box.

No, the main factor in maximizing distance in driving is swing speed at impact, the kind of golf ball you use, and the ball need to be hit on the sweet spot of the driver head and the shot must be taking a straight or slightly draw flight depending on where it's aimed.

You really are that dumb?

All modern driver head are produce to create minimal spin for maximum distance, regardless of loft.

Yet the Titleist 905R is a "spinnier" head than the 905S (like the T was before it).

The shaft being used actually has greater effect on overall flight path than the loft of the driver.

The two must work together.

Everyone else should ignore just about anything this fellow has to say.
I still have this feeling that some of the bored a55e5 on this forum is going to trip about this post, even though it has nothing to do with them and it talks about something they don't know much about...

Gee, way to spell "asses". Good job! Since everyone - including clubfitters and other people who do this sort of thing for a living disagree with nearly everything you say, I don't think it has much at all to do with jealousy.

Graphite Designs YS-6+ : The YS series of shafts have been the most popular line on the PGA Tour for the last few years, specifically YS-6. The YS6 is great all around shaft and is why so many pros and amatuers can play it. Along with the rest of the YS series, there is a wide array of weights and profiles that can fit virtually any player.

As a clubmaker the YS series gives me the ability to fit virtually any player who chooses it. It allows me to match up drivers, fariway woods and hybrids with similar performance and feel.

As a player the YS series have been great, I like the feel of the shaft (I don't like super low torque or boardy shafts), because I had plenty of choices I thought it was easy to find the right weight and flex to give me good performance

Accuflex Evolution Lite : I have some on order so I'll have to fill you in later on the details of this one. BUT I can tell you that Accuflex, while a fairly small company is getting a lot of play on the pro tours. Their Icon series is like the YS series, different wieghts and profiles to fit many. muskegman has an Icon FH installed in his 3-wood and loves it.

I've played the Evolution and the first thing I love is the paint on it, the iridescent colors are pretty cool. Performance wise it's a little to boardy for my tastes (but again I prefer a little softer) but I did get good distance and control with it so I'm excited to try the Lite version.

I've fit and installed an Evolution for a player who so far says he loves the added control he gained by using it. AccuFLEX makes a great line of shafts in my opinion

Grafalloy Prototype Comp NT : It's in my 3-wood right now and I love this shaft.

I tried this because the clubfitter I used to work with had recommended the Grafalloy Blue to me but I never liked the boardy feeling of that shaft. So when the CompNT came out I gave it a shot and I think it's a great sister to the Blue and Proluanch.

While it doesn't have as many weight choices as others, it is offered in a 65, 85 and Hybrid, it still has plenty of pontential to fit many different players and clubs.

What I really liked about the original Blue shaft was the added control I had but still never liked that it felt like rebar to me. The CompNT still gives me plenty of control but I get a little more feel out of it which is exactly what I was looking for.

Hope that helps

k so back to the topic... i decided that i do not like the FT-3 and i have no idea why i hit it so low and wierd... i went back to my 905R and it is way better. :) is the UST Shaft in the 76 gram way different than the stock speeder shaft in myne?

Titleist 905R 8.5 Degree // Stiff
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 16 Degree// Stiff
Titleist 690.CB// PW-3 Rifle Flighted 6.5
Titleist Spin-Milled 56 Degree
Titleist Spin-Milled 60 Degree

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

Before i got this 905R with stock speeder, i had a 905R with the ys-6 shaft and my ball was ballooning like crazy. is ys-6 and 7 similar?

Titleist 905R 8.5 Degree // Stiff
TaylorMade Rescue Mid 16 Degree// Stiff
Titleist 690.CB// PW-3 Rifle Flighted 6.5
Titleist Spin-Milled 56 Degree
Titleist Spin-Milled 60 Degree

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1

Thanks to those who replied to my post (questions). Very informative answers!!

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

k so back to the topic... i decided that i do not like the FT-3 and i have no idea why i hit it so low and wierd... i went back to my 905R and it is way better. :) is the UST Shaft in the 76 gram way different than the stock speeder shaft in myne?

Spec wise the Stock Speeder has a little more torque, will launch the ball a little lower and has an overall stiffer profile.

Before i got this 905R with stock speeder, i had a 905R with the ys-6 shaft and my ball was ballooning like crazy. is ys-6 and 7 similar?

They are built to have a similar feel but the 7 should feel a little stiffer (more material = more weight = more stiff) and will launch the ball a little lower than the 6

Hope that helps

• 2 months later...
Can any of you, experts, give me a comparasion and suggestion for these 3 shafts? Please?

Fujikura Speeder 757,
Fujikura Rombax 7v05
Aldila NV 75

all stiff flex. For the TM R7 425 9.5* stiff

My club head speed is around 100 mph
launch angle 13-15
spin around 3.500 to 4.000
I have a Quick Tempo and im more like a ball hitter than swinger.

Thanx

Im looking for more low and penetrating ball flight

Note: This thread is 6390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!