IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Decided to check the statistics on my shot zone a bit more. Just wanted to see how poorly I am hitting the ball offline.

+/- 10 yards of my target line I hit 34% of shots

+/- 15 yards of my target line I hit 54% of shots

+/- 20 yards of my target line I hit 60% of shots

Not sure how good that is.

Right now my Shot Zone has an average center of 10 yards right, of my target line. Which I think I fail to comprehend really. I think I am associate the center of the shot zone to by my target line.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Bit of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde tonight. Played Kittyhawk, Eagle course from the Whites. Shot a +3 39.

nGIR: 7 out of 9

Scrambling: 1 out of 4

Should have been 2 strokes better.

First 5 holes

Driver: Heal pull cut, thin push cut

3-wood: Push cut, Push Slice

Irons were decent

Last 4 holes

Driver: Push Draw, Push Draw

3-wood: Push Draw

Irons were better. The iron shot on number 8, 150 yard par 3 was flush as can be. I was having horrible contact all night. When I hit that ball, I literally lost all care for what the ball was doing. I just thought, "Now that is how a strike should feel like". Luckily the ball went to about pin high 30 feet left of the pin. Came up about a foot short from making the birdie.

Putting was awesome. I had 15 putts, and one putted the 3 out of the last 4 holes. Making 2 putts greater than 20 feet.

As for the swing. The best driver swing came when I really tried to get the hands more away from my body. The best iron shot came when I focused on not letting my right knee flex and bounce out towards the ball, really get that extension. So I tried that feeling again on the final hole, and hit a monster push draw 3 wood. So that seemed to work well. I have a hard time getting things to work when I focus on my hips firing up and around. I tend to fall away from the target when I do that. I hit a few irons slightly heavy tonight. I think I might have to go with a more torso turning towards the target and pointing more towards the sky, then firing the hips quicker.

Things to work on, same old same old.

Oh, my short game sucks.

70 yard pitch shot, pulled it left and long

20 yard pitch, duffed

15 yard pitch, duffed onto the green

10 yard pitch shot, caught heavy.

Just catching a lot of things heavy. Might not be getting the torso towards the target fast enough. I think I am getting caught up with my old technique in dipping and flipping.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Nice day for some video taping of the golf swing,

First down the line view.

Clubhead is still a bit too inside.

Swing length is much better. I get better success at this by just focusing on the turn, and not getting my hands started too early in the backswing. Turn rates, nail those turn rates!!!

Hips are a tad better at impact, still can be more open.

This is a 6 iron I am hitting. Am I too close to the ball?

Second down the line, tried to focus on getting the torso through faster.

I still think I can get a tad further away from the ball.

I know the camera angle isn't on the toe line. I need to really find a way to make that easier to set up with.

I think I got the hips a tad more open at impact.

First Face On view. I like the backswing length. Head still falls away from the target slightly in the swing, it is much better though. It happens less with a shorter backswing. Hands are inline with the shoulder and clubhead. Though I could probably get the hands a tad more forward at A6. Probably getting better extension through impact with my hips will help with that.

Second Face On view, pretty much same as the video above. More hips open at impact, and need to keep that head from falling backwards. I probably could set up with a sightly wider stance and a tad more shoulder tilt.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Matt, keep doing what you're doing. Your nit-picks are nit-picks. Just keep at it. It's all looking good and heading in the right direction. Very good stuff.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Driver had the hooks tonight. Driver is just horrible right now. Irons were pretty solid. Putting wasnt so good, 18 putts with missing alot of putt inside 10 feet. I struggle with left to right putts. Pitching is horrible. Cant hit the ball first. I was inside 60 yards 3 times pitching to get a GIR and i hit 2 heavy and one over the green.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

With your pitching, have you ever tried focusing in front of the ball? I use it for a temporary fix sometimes.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

• Administrator
Pitching is horrible. Cant hit the ball first. I was inside 60 yards 3 times pitching to get a GIR and i hit 2 heavy and one over the green.

Weight forward. Trust the club to glide. It's sometimes tough when the fairways get wet and stuff, but that's when you need to trust it the most. (Sometimes if it's really muddy/wet, they'll stick, but almost always after the ball's gone.)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Went to the driving range. Started hitting 7 irons and I was hooking my irons. SOB!! :censored:

So I try to work that out. I think it happens when I don't get my hips open, I get the arms down too fast and it closes the face. I also think I tend to have the face square to my target line, with my swing path is probably too closed. I probably need to open it up a bit more.

So same old, backswing piece and hips piece.

Driver is hit or miss. I don't know why, I can hit great balls on the range. When I get on the course, I pretty much thin a lot of my drivers or hit a big block or a hook. Its probably me overswining plus the two things above. My drives on the range were about 15-20% hook. Not good!!! It seemed to get better when I really got my hands less behind me, but I still can hook from there if my arms get down too fast and my hips are not open at impact.

As for not overswinging, same old feeling works, more body turn, less focus on hands.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Matt, keep doing what you're doing. Your nit-picks are nit-picks. Just keep at it. It's all looking good and heading in the right direction. Very good stuff.

I agree. Your swing looks very nice. Good hip turn, fluid, stable body, effortless-looking power. Everything I wish I had!!!!

• Administrator

So same old, backswing piece and hips piece.

Well, duh.

But you could also just aim your body more left too in the meantime to "help" with the hips piece. Turn your slight push-hooks into straight pushes.

You know the ball flight laws. C'mon now… :)

Ball Striking was much better today. I took @iacas ore right, and that helped a lot.

What killed me today was the short game. I am 1 under thru three. On hole four I am about 70 yards out and I chunk a 3/4 wedge shot. Just all arms, not body, no zip on the clubhead. The next hole I bogey because I clubbed up on a donwhill par 3 to make sure I get keep it over the pond, but I put it 5 yards over the green. Hit a pretty good flop shot, but carried it about 1 yard too far, and it ended up about 15 feet past the hole. The next hole is were everything hit rock bottom. Par 5, about 470 yards, uphill to an elevated green.  I hit an AWESOME Drive down the left side, leave myself about 175 yards to the pin, which is in the back so TONS of green to work with. Now I know this green is usually hard, and I need to keep the ball left. If you miss the green right you are DEAD, it runs into a hazard. I'll quote Erik, the VORTEX!!! Well, I pick my target line to be the left side of the green. Well, I line up and then I proceed to hit it RIGHT. Just a big push right that lands on the downslope and into the VORTEX!! Ball is GONE!. Well, I drop, and then proceed to skull the 10 yard pitch shot over the green onto the next tee box. Then I proceed to skull the next pitch shot back into the VORTEX!!! Finally, I hit a pitch shot onto the putting surface, and two putt for my NINE!!!

Next hole I drive the ball just next to a tree that it bugged me. But i was able to punch it to just in the rough about 30 feet from the pin. I proceed to hit the chip too easy and end up with a 15 foot putt that I miss.

I had 7 nGIR, 16 putts, and I shot 7 over with two penalty strokes. On that par 5 I should be chipping or putting for EAGLE, not trying to get up and down. Even still, I should at worst get bogey from that spot. My short game is just killing me here.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Ball Striking was much better today. I took @iacas tip on aiming more right, and that helped a lot.

What killed me today was the short game. I am 1 under thru three. On hole four I am about 70 yards out and I chunk a 3/4 wedge shot. Just all arms, not body, no zip on the clubhead. The next hole I bogey because I clubbed up on a donwhill par 3 to make sure I get keep it over the pond, but I put it 5 yards over the green. Hit a pretty good flop shot, but carried it about 1 yard too far, and it ended up about 15 feet past the hole. The next hole is were everything hit rock bottom. Par 5, about 470 yards, uphill to an elevated green.  I hit an AWESOME Drive down the left side, leave myself about 175 yards to the pin, which is in the back so TONS of green to work with. Now I know this green is usually hard, and I need to keep the ball left. If you miss the green right you are DEAD, it runs into a hazard. I'll quote Erik, the VORTEX!!! Well, I pick my target line to be the left side of the green. Well, I line up and then I proceed to hit it RIGHT. Just a big push right that lands on the downslope and into the VORTEX!! Ball is GONE!. Well, I drop, and then proceed to skull the 10 yard pitch shot over the green onto the next tee box. Then I proceed to skull the next pitch shot back into the VORTEX!!! Finally, I hit a pitch shot onto the putting surface, and two putt for my NINE!!!

Next hole I drive the ball just next to a tree that it bugged me. But i was able to punch it to just in the rough about 30 feet from the pin. I proceed to hit the chip too easy and end up with a 15 foot putt that I miss.

I had 7 nGIR, 16 putts, and I shot 7 over with two penalty strokes. On that par 5 I should be chipping or putting for EAGLE, not trying to get up and down. Even still, I should at worst get bogey from that spot. My short game is just killing me here.

Funny how that works. ;-)

Sounds like we both need to spend some quality time at the short game practice hole at Kittyhawk soon.

- Shane

Quote:

42 +7

Got off the tee good
Irons were decent, 7 out of 9 nGIR
Putting was decent, 16 putts

Short game was horrible. Chunked a 70 yard 3/4 wedge shot. Thinned a 20 pitch into a hazard, took a 9 on a par 5. Had a 25 foot chip that i left 12 feet short. Just bad.

Have you ever considered hitting more of a traditional chip inside of 30 yards(ball off center of your back foot, weight forward, narrow stance, soft arms ect....)? Im not always hitting pitches on  shots under 30 yards especially from the fairway. Ive been hitting chips if I don't have to carry something. If Im green side I hit it with my 58 but Ill go all the way up to my 8 iron if Im in the fairway and Im about 20-30 yards out. The nice thing about the chip is a bad chip won't be as penal as a bad pitch.  Just a suggestion Im no expert but hearing about your struggles with pitches bums me out. I hope this helps but don't feel obligated to try it just thinking out loud.  Keep up the good work bud.

Quote:

42 +7

Got off the tee good

Irons were decent, 7 out of 9 nGIR

Putting was decent, 16 putts

Short game was horrible. Chunked a 70 yard 3/4 wedge shot. Thinned a 20 pitch into a hazard, took a 9 on a par 5. Had a 25 foot chip that i left 12 feet short. Just bad.

Have you ever considered hitting more of a traditional chip inside of 30 yards(ball off center of your back foot, weight forward, narrow stance, soft arms ect....)? Im not always hitting pitches on  shots under 30 yards especially from the fairway. Ive been hitting chips if I don't have to carry something. If Im green side I hit it with my 58 but Ill go all the way up to my 8 iron if Im in the fairway and Im about 20-30 yards out. The nice thing about the chip is a bad chip won't be as penal as a bad pitch.  Just a suggestion Im no expert but hearing about your struggles with pitches bums me out. I hope this helps but don't feel obligated to try it just thinking out loud.  Keep up the good work bud.

Nope, because I have duffed chip shots before as well :whistle: . Not on the greens I play on you can't. The margin for error is so tight. If you chip it too far you can run off the greens. Maybe in the spring when things are softer, but Community in the summer, nah, you need some height.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Funny how that works.

Sounds like we both need to spend some quality time at the short game practice hole at Kittyhawk soon.

Yep, probably sometime this weekend I will be heading out there.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Yep, probably sometime this weekend I will be heading out there.

Have you done the exercises on pp 38-39 of LSW yet? Been planning on doing that out there. That seems like the perfect space to do that.

- Shane

• Administrator

Have you done the exercises on pp 38-39 of LSW yet? Been planning on doing that out there. That seems like the perfect space to do that.

It's funny, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

/me goes to look.

Ah, okay, now I remember. Yeah, those are good.

Nope, not yet, but I will :-D[quote name="iacas" url="/t/34167/my-swing-saevel25/432#post_1030492"] It's funny, but I have no idea what you're talking about. /me goes to look. Ah, okay, now I remember. Yeah, those are good. [/quote] Ditto. ;-)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag