IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

8 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Ok this was a good tip. I used a nickle, but it helped. I feel like I'm striking putts much better now. 

Pitching is getting there. Though I think the motion is still off. I struggle a ton out of the bunker right now. 

Dude! Inflation dictates you use a higher currency, not lower!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played 9 holes tonight. I drove the ball OK. The irons were junk but I sorted that out on the range afterwards. I got to be more stupid monkey on the course, and stop aiming right. 

I was happy with my pitching motion. Some really solidly struck pitches. I still struggle to one putt any green. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think I am figuring out my short game. For me the key is to really maintain that steady head. When I do that I pivot much better, I am less likely to drag the hands through impact and let the club just glide. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Just an update on my game

Driver, slight to big pull draws

Irons, contact isn't the best right now. Hitting some slight pushes. 

Wedges, doing pretty decent. I get lazy sometimes on my turn rates.

Pitching, much better. 

Putting, much better

i need to go back to working on the umbrella feel and a shorter swing. I think the swing is getting a tad too long. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

10 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Just an update on my game

Driver, slight to big pull draws

Irons, contact isn't the best right now. Hitting some slight pushes. 

Wedges, doing pretty decent. I get lazy sometimes on my turn rates.

Pitching, much better. 

Putting, much better

i need to go back to working on the umbrella feel and a shorter swing. I think the swing is getting a tad too long. 

When you say 'big', how many yards? I've been working on eliminating my hook with my Evolvr instructor. Now I have a push fade, which is fine because it is high, but it varies from 10 to 40 yards off where my foot line is aimed. 40 is tough to play with and it cuts down distance. My 3W is straighter and almost as long.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It just got progressively worse. 

10 yards, 30 yards, 40 yards, 50 yards, 50 yards

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I went to the range today and it was a struggle. I was hitting some fat/top shots and hiting pull cuts. 

I started to hit the ball better when I focused on keeping my head steady, chin down more. I really focused on looking at the ball and just turning the hips in the backswing. This helped clean up my low point and started to straighten out my path. 

I still struggle with a slight inward path. When I try to correct it I hit a couple hosel rockets by over doing it. 

I think I'm aiming right when I'm not. 

For now I'm going to stick to trying to make a much more solid center pivot. It gives me the best shot at making good contact. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

This is a round where my swing went missing. 

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/saevel25/round/974693

My best shot of the night came off the first tee shot. From there is was all downhill. 

Hole 10, I piped a drive down the middle. I then ease up on a wedge and hit it about half a yard short of the green. I proceed to three putt from the fringe for bogey. 

Hole 11, The contact was solid, but I just pushed my 8 iron right of the green. I proceed to use no speed at all on my short game shot and hit a duffy pitch. I did the same thing again on the next shot. I two putt for my double bogey. 

Hole 12, I outright push chunk'd a pitching wedge. I hit a pretty decent pitch shot to about 8 feet and made the par. 

Hole 13, My back foot slipped and I hit a heel cut hybrid down the middle. I then proceed to chunk my sandwedge into the bunker. I got out of the bunker pretty well. I two putted from about 30 feet for bogey. 

Hole 14, I slice the ball off the planet. 93 yards right of center my ball ended up. Given there was a stiff 20-25 mph wind out of the left. I then chunk'd a 4 iron about 100 yards. I then chunk'd another 4 iron another 100 yards. I slightly push a sandwedge just right of the green. I hit a pretty decent pitch shot to 5 feet and miss the putt for my double bogey. 

Hole 15, I decided to hit my 4 iron off the tee. I pushed it right with a slight cut. I ended up still in play. I proceed to hit a low pushed sandwedge over the green. It wasn't a thin. It was more of my just dragging the hands forward or lunging forward with the body. I hit a horrible flop shot that ended up off the front of the green. I two putted from the fringe for my bogey. 

Hole 16, I hit a big pull cut down the left side. I hit a pretty decent 4 iron from some heavy clover infested rough. I pitched out and two putted for my par. 

Hole 17, I hit a low heely pull cut to the fairway bunker. I hit the pitching wedge in the style of my sandwedge from hole 15. I ended up over the green just right of a bunker. I pitched on and two putted for my bogey. 

Hole 18, I pulled my 4 iron and hit a big push cut. I then duffed my 7 iron, I was on a pretty good downslope. It would have been a very tough shot. I had a bit of tree trouble and I was trying to hit a low punchy shot. I ended up in the fairway bunker and chunked it out. I then hit a pitch shot to about 30 feet and two putted for double. 

Just an overall mess. 

I figure I am just overswinging again. I went to the range afterwards and tried to focus on keeping the swing shorter. I tried some half length backswing feel and it helped with my irons. I was hitting some really solid shots. When I tried it with my driver I was heel cutting them terribly. When I wasn't I was pulling them 50 yards left. 

It's just a mess right now. The wheels have fallen off. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Is your head moving? Obviously just conjecture but your "swing missing" round sounds like the exact results I'm getting from fighting lateral head movement towards the target on my downswing. Not a fun problem to have.

Anyway, kudos to you because half the problem is sticking in the round when the wheels fall off, and it sounds like results aside you did just that.

Andrew M.

2 hours ago, amoline said:

Is your head moving? Obviously just conjecture but your "swing missing" round sounds like the exact results I'm getting from fighting lateral head movement towards the target on my downswing. Not a fun problem to have.

Anyway, kudos to you because half the problem is sticking in the round when the wheels fall off, and it sounds like results aside you did just that.

More my old patterns kicking in. Overswinging, sending the club across the line at A4. When I overswing it makes it very hard for me achieve a good turn rate in the downswing. 

I figure out the irons pretty well at the end of the range session after my round. I'm struggling to not heel cut my driver doing the same shorter swing feel. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I played in a shamble today. 

Drives: Slight pull cuts to a big pulls. It doesn't feel like the over the top pull, but just a clubface closed or arms getting ahead of the body. It feels like a different pull shot than what I am use to. The swing path is shallow to hitting up as well. They have awesome trajectory. 

Irons: Pretty solid. I tried to really focus on keeping the swing shorter and compact. I also tried to be less violent through the ball. I just wanted to be more smooth feeling in my transition and through impact. I hit some really flushed iron shots that had effortless distance. 

Distance Wedges: My timing is off. I am dragging my hands through and delofting them. I then send the shots way past where I want them to land. 

Pitching: A mixed bag. Some I just get too lazy, others I do really well. 

Putting: I putted really well. I nailed some clutch 5-10 foot putts. I drained a few long putts and a couple other ones that were just a tad off from going in. I'm like the progression here. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

From my lesson up at Golf Evolution

Current Swing

The backswing is pretty solid except for the length. I need to really be mindful of how long my backswing is. 

My new piece is keeping those turn rates up and kicking the hands outward more. 

New Feel.JPG

This feel was me more forcing my left hip around me more while having my arms moving down the line towards right field. I also want to feel like the club is being pulled inward by my hips. 

The drill I worked with is stopping at A5. Rotating that left hip back and around, making sure my right elbow is below my left elbow and not stuck behind my right hip. My right elbow would be more inline with my right knee not my right hip pocket (face on view) in the drill. 

My putting needed some slight adjustments. I am feeling much better with that. Pitching I have to start taking it to the course better. 

I got to play 18 holes afterwards. I took a bit of it to the course. I struggled off the tee with the correct feeling. I was hitting a lot of heel cuts. With my irons I hit some awesome shots.  The best shots came when I combined the left hip with the hands getting more in front of the body at impact. Trusting I would not hook the ball off the planet because I turned correctly.

Pitching I need to stop toeing my pitches out of the bunker and rough. I think I get too steep with my pitching on the course. I need to work on shorter backswing length and more speed through pivot. My distance wedges are all backswing length. I need to spend some time on getting those dialed in. I take way too long of a backswing on shorter wedges shots. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I might have to shelve the driver until it can be tamed. As Erik pointed out to me on Sunday. My swing length was giving me time to shallow out the golf swing. Trying to shorten my swing I am swipping across the ball a lot now. I was at the range and a good 90% of my swings causes a giant slice. Even when I tried hitting 200 yard shots, I was slicing them. 

For me, it's either go back to overswinging so I can give myself time to neutral out the swing path at impact or shelve the driver till I can work out the move I want. I rather do the lather so I am not practicing overswinging on the course. 

I also worked on my pitching and distance wedges. I am doing better with my pitching. My distance wedges I need to control my turn rates better. I get too lengthy and then try to gauge it by slowing down the swing speed. When I had shorter distance wedges, making a slight turn versus a more full turn helped keep the swing shorter. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I played 9 holes tonight. I shot pretty well. I need to keep working on my distance wedges. I am struggling a ton trying to hit partial wedge shots that are not pitch shots. I am just not consistent at all.

I need to focus on making better contact with the driver. I can hit some really good shots, but a few shots sneak in there I don't want. I want to tighten that up. Iron play is pretty good though. Contact is solid there. 

Putting was OK. The greens were really slow tonight. 

I like how things are progressing. I'm going to continue to work on getting the hips more open and the arms more in front of me at impact. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I need to focus on making better contact with the driver. I can hit some really good shots, but a few shots sneak in there I don't want. I want to tighten that up. Iron play is pretty good though. Contact is solid there. 

Have you mapped the wedges to yardages?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Have you mapped the wedges to yardages?

I do have yardages marked from last year. I probably just need to practice hitting my backswing lengths better. My best guess is that I make too long of a backswing for the yardage and then try to modify the clubhead speed in the downswing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I do have yardages marked from last year. I probably just need to practice hitting my backswing lengths better. My best guess is that I make too long of a backswing for the yardage and then try to modify the clubhead speed in the downswing. 

Probably.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I went out this evening and practiced some distance wedges. I dropped about 5-6 balls for each number on my club. My LW is 25-50-75-100. I just worked on making sure my backswing length got me those distances. They are pretty close to where I thought it should be if I executed my correct backswing length. It took me a few shots to get use to keeping up my turn rates.

I'll be adding a few practice swings to my pre-shot routine on my distance wedges to make sure I drill that backswing length I need. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag