IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Might have to slow it down a bit. When I try the wrist stuff I get the following.

Straight Draw or push cut

I think the push cut is not enough wrist stuff. I think the straight draw is overdoing the wrist stuff and maybe not sending the path out in the right way  So, I think as I roll the wrist I drag bring the club path left. Maybe not getting the arms down good enough.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Might have to slow it down a bit. When I try the wrist stuff I get the following.

Straight Draw or push cut

I think the push cut is not enough wrist stuff. I think the straight draw is overdoing the wrist stuff and maybe not sending the path out in the right way  So, I think as I roll the wrist I drag bring the club path left. Maybe not getting the arms down good enough.

Got a small rain delay at the range. Went back out and did some good slow backswing to downswing drills. Started to hit the ball better. It feels less roll of the wrist and more adding or keeping right wrist angle longer. I don’t not want to mix up the feel of adding or keeping right wrist flexion with rolling the hands over. 

Yea, I need to be super careful on not just losing my wrist angles from A4. I sometimes do some wrist deviations instead of flexion/extension. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I think the straight draw is overdoing the wrist stuff and maybe not sending the path out in the right way  So, I think as I roll the wrist I drag bring the club path left. Maybe not getting the arms down good enough.

Ok, to correct this a bit. Being a straight draw (or the slightest of push draw), the path is still outward, but the face was just closed too much. It wasn't like I was swinging out to in. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Just some thoughts on the shots I hit today. 

Driver: Hole 1, actually swung left and hit a nice pull fade.. Hole 2, I thought if I make the same swing on hole one but turn the face down I can hit a pull draw around the corner on a par 5. Pulled it off. Very happy with that. The rest of the drives were trying to reproduce the cut on hole one, but a mix of hitting it off the toe and not leaving the face open, most of them ended up straight draws or slight pull draws. On the line I chose off the tee, it was not the best result. For the most part, the driver had a very neutral ball flight (like 5-10 yards of curve). So, the swings felt good. Though, I did have a strange moment on hole 7. Again trying to hit the fade, I aimed at this tree and wanted to fade it back to the center of the fairway. In my downswing, and it might be more post impact, I actually rotated so much through impact that I did a half step through with the right leg subconsciously. Basically, I just balanced on my left leg for half a second. It was strange, and unplanned, but I killed that ball. 

Irons: I was overdoing my wrist stuff, and maybe adding in a bit of forearm roll (not the best). The flight was too much draw. So, the face to path was not the best. I do think I am gripping the club a tad too strong (closed) at address.  I didn't feel like I was really doing the wrist stuff excessively, but I ended up hitting pull draws. Hey, I can work off this. I did hit some great, purposeful overdraws, out of the trees from a neutral set up position. So basically manipulating path and club face with my arms/hands. Those were fun! 😁. Yea, I need to hit the range to get the feel dialed in a bit more. Contact was pretty solid, just path and face stuff. 

Short game: Much better! I am finally getting the hang of hitting shots with the least amount of backswing for the shot. though, the only thing that happens is that I can leave the club face way open and push alot of my pitches right. I need to stop that. I pushed one like 20-FT right of my landing spot. 

Putting: Much better. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

When I want to hit a nice controlled fade with the driver I tee it up lower. Seems to work for me once out of every 20 tries 😉

Colin P.

Played in a scramble today. 

So, I hit about 3 drives in a row that were pull draws. So, I was like, let's over exaggerate some stuff here. First, the path is probably neutral to slightly in with a closed face. I thought, ok lets leave feel like the face way open and I get my hands down better from A4. The next drive was a big push draw. Then I dialed it in to hit some good push draws. 

So, it is good that I can feel when things are bad, know the patterns, and fix them on the course. 

Irons were decent. Not crisp, but nothing crazy stupid. So, a lot of nGIR. I did hit the one PW, and it went like 160+ from the FAIRWAY! The ball was above my feet, so I hit a straight draw off the lie. It was the smoothest 165 yard PW I ever hit. I thought, "Oh that was hit good." I looked up and thought, why is it going so far! 😆 Next hole, I hit a 9 iron 160 yards to pin high on a par 3 and it spun back 20-FT because the greens were soft and had a lot of back to front slope. I was scared of hitting the 9-iron like 180 yards. 

I need to do a bit more of the wrist stuff with my full wedges. I can feel my wrists doing the bad swing and I leave the face open hitting this weak push out to the right. Again, glad I am telling the difference between swings here and know what I am doing wrong. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I haven't hit the range in a week or so. I got caught up doing four 16 hour days trying to help the company restore power to those around Cleveland this past weekend. 

I was just hitting some 6 irons. I think I am getting use to this piece. Arms feel like they are getting down with out the use of my body. I can really tell when I do not do the wrist piece right. Immediate at like P5 to P6, I know I am cooked. Which is good. Feeling that allows for feedback. 

For the most part, ball flights were overdraws or slight draws. Contact was pretty much centered in the club face. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Grading tonights 9-hole half round. 

Driver: C-, Not doing my stuff right. Got it back later on. I started to focus more on the ball and trust I can just do the feel while focusing on the ball. 

Irons: C-, similar situation as the driver. Hit one of the most flushed 7 irons ever when I focused on the ball and trusted I can do the swing feel. I don't know why, but I will be so focused on the swing feel I can lose focus of the ball and it mentally becomes blind to me. I think GEARS would register it near X: 0mm and Y: 0mm. 😛 

Short game: B+, actually decent. I pulled off one of the best shots in a while. Hole 9, I hit a wedge shot over the green. More that, It hit the middle of the green and bounded over the back.  I preset the face open, lowered the handle, kept the weight forward. I just hit this fantastic mini flop shot to about 4-Ft on the green and the ball trickled about 5-Ft past the hole. Such a satisfying shot to pull off. 😉

Putting: A, getting the flat stick to work again. I am standing a bit closer to the ball, and making a much more appropriate stroke for the distance of the putt. Was rolling the ball end over end and its finally giving the ball a chance to go in. 

So, focus on the ball, do the swing feels, hit a flus shot. Easy 😛

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

So, I am having a mix of results. 

OK, so I was working through feeling the wrist stuff better and swing path stuff. I am struggling to feel the marginal difference between losing my wrist angles (thin and fats) and doing the wrist motion and just over hooking the ball. Right now it feels like Russian Roulette if I get the wrists to do what I want. Then it’s just fine tuned enough to produce a consistent flight. 

At a certain point I finally got the feeling of getting my hands down behind me while focusing on the ball. Then I was able to do that with the wrist piece. They are two different feels. One is the general feel of the hand path and the other is trying to feel my wrist angles. It’s a crap shoot. It’s like 50% good hand path, with out good wrist motion and 50% with good wrist motion. Then, it’s like 50% chance if I just don’t turn because I am so focused on the hand/wrist stuff. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

So, I signed up for a Callaway club fitting. I was like, cool it is at Windmill Lakes golf course. So, I show up there and find out it is at Windmill Golf Center, like 30 minutes away. Why are there two golf courses / golf centers that start with Windmill!!! 😠

So, I just got a medium bucket and went to the range 😉

Much better today. I do not know why some days I struggle to do the hand/wrist stuff and other days it is like this where it feels easy to do. I will take it! Man, my left forearm was getting a work out. 

Slower controlled backswing. Priority piece stuff. I started to add a bit of pushing into the ground with my left leg a bit more. Contact was crisp. YAY! 

Going to keep at it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Rant Time!

Can I please get a round of golf where I put things together for once. It is a bit tiring that something falls apart. Especially when I've had some of the better range sessions the past month or two. I can't help but end up like 7 to 9 over par for 9 holes. 

Tonight, I got par par out of the gate. I am like, OK good start. Then I end up going double, bogey, lets not talk about it (maybe in a bit), double, bogey, par, double. That was with hitting some of the better short game shots in a long time. Almost holing out for a birdie. Having 4-5 short game leaves inside of 7-FT. But, I just took like 4-5 strokes to get to the green. It's the course I play, the trees can be BRUTAL! 

The thing I do not get is like, I could not feel what was going wrong in the swing. I knew what was going wrong because of the ball flight. Basically, I am swinging to far out, because my straight over-draws are a face pointing towards the target but the ball is just drawing too much. It isn't a slightly over draw, it's more towards hooking the ball. At least with the longer clubs. I just couldn't feel the difference from what I was doing yesterday in hitting the ball really well. Which is frustrating. It's probably not doing the arm stuff and wrist stuff I need to do. 

The ultimate rant is... F**K Mosquitoes! My god, did every fricken Mosquito in Summit County, Ohio find their way to that golf course. I am seriously thinking of buying a candle to hang from my push cart next week. God it was bad. I probably have a shirt ruined because I accidentally squished one on my shoulder and now there is a blood stain there. 😠

Ok, enough of that, back to the grind again to keep working on it. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Alignment, potentially.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yea, not doing stuff well enough.

Trying to get the hands more down and less out.

Going back to drills, shorter and slower swings. Not sure what is playable for me. I can’t consistently hit shots on the course focusing on these feels. It’s not there. I might need to abandon them when I play and just hit pull cuts maybe? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Ok. 

I regressed a bit back to using the body to lower the club and bad right elbow stuff. I lost the feel for doing my wrist stuff in conjunction of getting the hands down. When I try to get my hand down, I end up losing my wrist angles. It is a bit of a struggle to blend those together. I can tell when I feel I get the hands down, the ball flight is just so high. It is like I am hitting up slightly on the ball. Nice high low spin iron shots. 

Yea, going grind some drills to see if I can get the feels back. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Going to keep an eye out on my left hand/wrist. I made a few swings tonight where it just hurt just after impact. The area of the wrist that started to bother me is near where the thumb meets the wrist, and a bit on the top side of the wrist (not the side). That area. It really hurt on a distance wedge shot. The club head passed the hands really fast post impact and then I felt a jolt of pain. 

On a side note, mixed bag tonight. 4 double bogies. 4 pars, 1 birdie. My putter was on fire, I was on 7 putts through 6 holes with no chip ins. I was making putts of 10+ FT. Just was seeing and rolling in good. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag