IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

Just wanted to say that your progress and work is inspiring me!  I have a very similar problem with getting too far behind me/too flat/however you want to describe it so seeing you work on the same things I'm trying to work on makes me feel a bit better about my game.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, amished said:

Just wanted to say that your progress and work is inspiring me!  I have a very similar problem with getting too far behind me/too flat/however you want to describe it so seeing you work on the same things I'm trying to work on makes me feel a bit better about my game.

Thank you for the compliments.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Played 9 holes today. I grinned out a +1 round. I haven't found much time at the range in about a week. Basically I struggle a bit with turning and timing. 

Just some notes on what worked on the course...

Full Swing - Left arm less deep at A3. Feel like swing stops at A3. Make a slower backswing. The backswing just mostly feels like left arm not going in more and the swing stay shorter. The downswing is mostly feeling the left hip back sooner, and a slight bit of wrist flexion as the hands go down left. I may need to work on a bit more right side through. I had a few shots were I stayed on my back foot. 

Found a partial shot - Example, a PW on a 80 yard shot. Make a pitching type motion. Lots of wrist compared to turn. Then just pivot strong and make a punch shot type finish. The ball flights down really well and the shot is pretty accurate.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

The trend at the driving range session was a lot of pull cuts. For a 6 iron the pull is about 5 yards left with about 15-20 yards of cut. Though there was a decent wind blowing out and right at the range today. The height of the shots were low. 

The feels I was working on were the same. Shorter swing with less arm depth. Then a bit of wrist flexion at A4 and swing left. I feel like I wasn’t turning well today as in getting my right side through well. I’ll get video tomorrow.

some of the big misses were just flipping thin shots. Probably matches with me not turning well. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
43 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The trend at the driving range session was a lot of pull cuts. For a 6 iron the pull is about 5 yards left with about 15-20 yards of cut. Though there was a decent wind blowing out and right at the range today. The height of the shots were low. 

The feels I was working on were the same. Shorter swing with less arm depth. Then a bit of wrist flexion at A4 and swing left. I feel like I wasn’t turning well today as in getting my right side through well. I’ll get video tomorrow.

some of the big misses were just flipping thin shots. Probably matches with me not turning well. 

I'd like to see them to know for sure, but pull-cuts could also just mean you were over-doing your stuff a little bit. You were swinging out a lot - if you're pulling it and they're still cutting, that's a pretty left-ward path.

Right?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That makes sense, and I’ll get some video to double check.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

A current swing that produced a bad result...

This swing was focusing more on right shoulder out at the ball more from A4. Not much I’m terms of thinking about swinging left. 

Here is my driver Swing. This one is me just focusing on right hip back to start the swing. Was working on a way to shorten the swing and get less arm deep. The downswing feel is left hip back sooner and straighter left leg sooner.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

I really like these swings.

From your second video:

Screen Shot 2019-08-24 at 11.13.45 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-24 at 11.14.11 AM.png

So yeah, I think you might have overdone it a little the other day. I like these. Good club face control (it seems), good pretty neutral path, the strikes should be a bit better since you're not swinging out 10°… etc.

Feedback from you? What are you thinking/feeling?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Feedback from you? What are you thinking/feeling?

Yea, the contact was instantly better. 

The swing thoughts for the 2nd 6 iron video were, 

1. Shorter, keep the left arm out more in the backswing.
2. At A4, send my right shoulder out at the ball. I didn't think of hands going left or flexing the wrist in transition.

Something I noticed is that the swing feels shorter in duration overall. Like the overall movement of the body is less. The turn feels more compact in terms of duration. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

What's shakin', bacon?

I've been trying to find time to hit the range. I've done a good amount of slow work during the week inside. Backswing stuff, and feeling the right shoulder out, which pairs nice with the left hip back. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

https://bnc.lt/yzOb/bqzT64OnKZ

Not bad for not playing in 2 weeks. Struggled with a hook on the first two holes. Then I went with the swing feel of my arms and body turning together from A7 to finish. I was hitting a nice slight pull cut to straight cut off the tee. Overall, very pleased with the ball striking.

The short game was pretty good. The feel is keeping the right elbow and right hand near my side more. My feel for hinging more. Contact was really good. Distance control will come more with practice.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Played 18 today. 

The swing feels that worked really well today for me for my irons.

Backswing - 3/4 feel, hands not as deep, slightly earlier hip turn
Downswing to Finish - Turn chest toward target and keep arms extended. Feel like I am holding the face open slightly more. 

With a fast turn rate the shot goes about 85%. With slower turn rates I can take it down to 75% 

I used this all day to just hit very controlled shots towards the green. It felt like the ball would do much of anything but go towards my target. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

And… ?

Excuses - Been kinda lazy over the past month. Work has been been a bit hectic. I got sick for about 1-1.5 weeks. I've been trying to be more active in working out. 

I could still do 5-minutes of stuff inside more often :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator

Okay. Just asking.

• 1 month later...

Comparing 2018 with my last 15 rounds in 2019. Some pretty good improvements. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 7.44.19 PM.png

Driving: +1.31 (2018 was kinda really good)
Approach: -1.5ish
Short Game: -2.10ish (YAY!!!!)
Putting: -1.4ish (I didn't really do much here but not three putt a lot). 

Overall, a better year for me. Looking forward to 2020. I just got to actually put some effort into it. I slacked off after September.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Comparing 2018 with my last 15 rounds in 2019. Some pretty good improvements. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 7.44.19 PM.png

Driving: +1.31 (2018 was kinda really good)
Approach: -1.5ish
Short Game: -2.10ish (YAY!!!!)
Putting: -1.4ish (I didn't really do much here but not three putt a lot). 

Overall, a better year for me. Looking forward to 2020. I just got to actually put some effort into it. I slacked off after September.  

At first glance I thought you were worse than you were last year, then I realized you had the two sets in a different order than I would have done it.

That's a good idea, though. Hope you don't mind if I steal it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread