IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

• Administrator

Is that the A4 you want?

I played nine holes recently with a friend where I said I wanted him to do nothing but watch how long my backswing was. It was the only thing I focused on.

I felt like it stopped at vertical, and so it went about 45° beyond that. I made some that probably went 60° beyond, he said, but none got close to even parallel.

Every swing. For nine holes. Including driver.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, iacas said:

Is that the A4 you want?

No, I am thinking like more here….

0DCB61DE-2C7C-4C55-8CFA-62F6F515E39B.png

It was mostly testing out an idea. I think it will help out feeling that pause. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

got super lucky today, didn't get much any rain when I played in a scramble. 

Overall, pretty good today hitting the ball. Tried to focus on keeping things shorter. It was really my primary focus. For the driver, I was trying more of stopping my shoulder turn once it gets close to 90 degrees. I was able to play around with ball position to hit different shot shapes (draw and fade). 

Will get some video of working on keeping the driver swing short sometime this week. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Went to the range to work on my driver. Video are not worth posting. 

Just going to have to spend more time on figuring out how make the swing shorter. Right now, I don’t want the club in my bag anymore. I can make backswings where it does stay shorter when I don’t intend to hit the ball, but when you throw in intent to hit the ball, then it’s like 99% the swing creeps super long.

I’m not sure if I need to bend my right elbow sooner. I still have super straight arms at A2 to A4, and then everything collapses. I’m not sure if I need to restrict my turn more since I see myself over turn as the club continues on forever. I don’t know if it’s a mechanic that is making things hard. My willpower is not enough right now. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some backswing practice. Using a club to control the right arm movement in the backswing. I am trying to feel a more compact turn, and not letting the arms and turn carry on forever.  Then trying to mimic that with the golf swing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

On 8/23/2022 at 5:53 PM, saevel25 said:

Just going to have to spend more time on figuring out how make the swing shorter. Right now, I don’t want the club in my bag anymore. I can make backswings where it does stay shorter when I don’t intend to hit the ball, but when you throw in intent to hit the ball, then it’s like 99% the swing creeps super long.

Hello, my name is Matt and I will not emotionally post negative stuff again. 😛 

So, really focused on making every driver swing shorter. I know, I do not have a camera with me on the course. BUT, best I hit the driver in a long time. Also, the swings felt shorter. How the hands and club moved through impact felt different. Much more feeling lag, and feeling the club just whip through impact to hit the ball solidly. I was able to feel the difference in backswing length on swings that felt a tad to long versus the ones that did feel shorter. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Didn't know that Athletic Motion Golf had a podcast until @iacas sent me a podcast to listen to. 

1200x600wp.png

‎Show Athletic Motion Golf- The Podcast, Ep Myth Busters - Tempo and Speed - Aug 29, 2022

This podcast hit home on how I overswing. Long one piece takeaway, poor turn rate coordination where the body overturns, and the arms collapse super late. Making it nearly impossible to keep the swing short, but also, makes it very difficult to shorten the swing to hit any sort of partial shots. 

Basically, my hips need to stop closer to 45 degrees. The shoulder turn needs to be closer to 90 degrees. I get like 115+ degrees of turn, but in a bad way. Not a good way, like Rory. 

I need to work on how better body turn coordination with loading the club in the backswing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

18 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Didn't know that Athletic Motion Golf had a podcast until @iacas sent me a podcast to listen to. 

1200x600wp.png

‎Show Athletic Motion Golf- The Podcast, Ep Myth Busters - Tempo and Speed - Aug 29, 2022

This podcast hit home on how I overswing. Long one piece takeaway, poor turn rate coordination where the body overturns, and the arms collapse super late. Making it nearly impossible to keep the swing short, but also, makes it very difficult to shorten the swing to hit any sort of partial shots. 

Basically, my hips need to stop closer to 45 degrees. The shoulder turn needs to be closer to 90 degrees. I get like 115+ degrees of turn, but in a bad way. Not a good way, like Rory. 

I need to work on how better body turn coordination with loading the club in the backswing. 

Found this podcast a couple months ago and it's my go-to while working on the range

My Swing

Taylormade M1 | Mizuno JPX 900 Forged (4-GW) | Titleist Vokey SM7 54/58 | Taylormade Spider X

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

This podcast hit home on how I overswing.

The main takeaway there is FAST early, then it can slow down in the latter half of the backswing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)

Try to practice with the pool floater. Just some videos of some reps. Just trying to keep the swing shorter. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Some other concerns...

1. Losing spine tilt in the downswing (head moves away from the ball). Is that a reactionary response to how I send the hands out, instead of dropping them down from A4 to A5

2. Is my shoulder turn to shallow from A1 to A4

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

1. Losing spine tilt in the downswing (head moves away from the ball). Is that a reactionary response to how I send the hands out, instead of dropping them down from A4 to A5

Have you looked at how much this is? Seems kinda small. But… yes. Pulling the head back and EEing a little will keep the club from tipping out too much.

30 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

2. Is my shoulder turn to shallow from A1 to A4

Too flat? You have an Analyzr license. Draw some lines.

1. Swing needs to slow down sooner from A2 to A3. Swing is to long when you consider my shoulder and hip turn. 
  2. Clubhead head is under the swing path and reroutes steep in transition. Then I try to save it from A5 to A7. Good Luck!!! 
  3. Downswing is just a failure of the backswing. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:
  1. Swing needs to slow down sooner from A2 to A3. Swing is to long when you consider my shoulder and hip turn. 
  2. Clubhead head is under the swing path and reroutes steep in transition. Then I try to save it from A5 to A7. Good Luck!!! 
  3. Downswing is just a failure of the backswing. 

Are you just looking for faults now? 😃

That swing looks pretty good.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, billchao said:

That swing looks pretty good.

Nope. Swings can look nice on camera, but be dysfunctional. Russian roulette, but only one bullet is a good shot. 

Going back to a previous post about shoulder tilt being not steep enough.  Also, club is way to shallow here. 

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

The issue I am having is. When I keep the swing shorter, the timing or trigger to start the downswing isn't there. Its like, "Oh, I stopped it short.... Now what do I do?" 

I am just trying to figure out what is making it difficult to swing from here.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 3.18.13 PM.png

I feel like it shouldn't be this hard to do.  Maybe it is still how my arms move from A4 to A5, and that I still yank down on the handle a ton. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
57 minutes ago, billchao said:

I found one. It took me 77 seconds, but I found one.

The fault is that nothing f***ing happened for 77 seconds.

😄

34 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Also, club is way to shallow here. 

Meh. "Way" is not right, and "to" is missing an 'o.' 🙂

35 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I am just trying to figure out what is making it difficult to swing from here.

That's when you're falling forward, backing into the target.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

The fault is that nothing f***ing happened for 77 seconds.

That is more like, YouTube auto makes everything under a certain duration a short video. Maybe I shouldn't care about that, lol 😉

• Funny 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

That is more like, YouTube auto makes everything under a certain duration a short video. Maybe I shouldn't care about that, lol 😉

Yeah, who cares? Or just loop your swing like five times.