IGNORED

My Swing (saevel25)

saevel25

22 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Standing further away and leaning over more has helped a lot. 

Also being more confident.

Short game feels like it's getting better and better. 

I need to make sure I don't over do standing a tad further away and leaning more. Overall it's helped out. I'm also able to swing out more at the ball with my hands. 

When contact gets iffy I go back to that chippy swing feel which corrects it. 

Short game is getting much better. 

Putting I think I need to be a tad less hands and more shoulder rocking. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played 9 holes in a work league. Super confident off the tee. I need to be a bit more assertive with my irons. Short game looks good. Putting is getting better. 

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/saevel25/round/1678402

Driver - Stand further away, lean over a tad more, more chippy feel, swing out at the ball. 
Irons - Need to do more swing out at the ball
Putting - I started to stand a tad further away from the ball. Its helped out. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Good range session today. Working on hitting some good contact shots. Struggled a bit when it got to 6 iron or above. I don't know what made me try this out. I decided to feel like I start the swing with turn versus any sort of hand/arm movement. It helped out a ton. Though I was a bit more prone to hit some straight draws. I was able to take some of the curve out, and hit more push to push draws. This backswing feel worked really well with the driver as well. 

Short game is becoming a part of my game I am getting super confident with. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

On 7/3/2017 at 0:38 PM, saevel25 said:

I decided to feel like I start the swing with turn versus any sort of hand/arm movement.

This seems to be working out well. By turn I mean my hip turn. My right hip goes behind me much much sooner. 

I like that if I end up hitting a slight pull draw I can easily turn it into a push draw by opening the club face up a bit more, and swing out and up more to turn it into a push draw. 

One thing I noticed is that the swing feels much more compact. Not sure if this is true with regards to swing length (video evidence, I kinda don't want to see the swing right now because it's working out for me), but I feel like the downswing starts much sooner with my turn. The arms feel like they travel much less than before. 

Short game work is fantastic. 

Putting is downgraded to C level right now. Alignment and set up feels off. That is just messing with me right now. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Starting the swing with the hip turn, feeling little to no hand movement is working out really well. My miss right now is a low pull draw. My good shots are pretty neutral ball flights with little bit of curve. 

Short game is in a very good spot. Distance wedge shots are getting much better. 

Putting feels better. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bit of a short game rehash lesson then played 18 holes up in Erie today. Didn't shoot particularly well. Way to many tee shots going into places unknown. I did hit some really good shots as well. It isn't like my good shots have a lot of curve on them. I just need to be more consistent in making a good swing.I also need to work on my aim. I found out I am aiming the club face way left. 

Short game was OK, not great. I found out today that I lost my LW. Mostly likely last Thursday. So I need to check with my golf league to see if anyone picked it up or I need to put in an order for some new wedges ;)

Putting was better. I focused more on rocking the shoulders versus moving the hands. A lot more putts were hit solidly. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

On 7/16/2017 at 7:24 PM, saevel25 said:

I found out I am aiming the club face way left. 

Played 9 holes tonight. I was awesome off the tee. A few things I tried to focus on. 

1. Aiming the club face square to slightly open at address. Starting the swing with the hips still works out really well. 
2. With the irons swing down and out more at the ball. 
3. Pitching and distance wedges I need to be less lazy with them. I need to keep the pivot speed up. I am also dragging my hands forward trying to protect from mishitting the ball. 
4. Putting, I like focusing on rocking the shoulders versus moving the hands. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Played horrible today. Driver had the quick left miss. The irons were never flush or consistent on any ball flight. I had some tilt backward flip at the ball. Which resulted in some fat shots. 

My short game left me today. I'm hitting some strange toe cuts with my pitches. I shanked two pitches. 

It feels horrible standing over the ball trying to make sure the club isn't pointed right. It feels like my forearms and shoulders are tilted strangely. 

I need to hit the range this week. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

It feels horrible standing over the ball trying to make sure the club isn't pointed right.

I meant left.

Trying to aim the clubfact at the target or slightly right of target feels uncomfortable. When I grip it more open I just turn my hands over to aim it left. That and it feels awkward trying to make a backswing with a more open club face. 

I think my short game issue was standing too close to the ball and then also dragging my hands forward instead of letting the bounce help me. 

The long game needs work in swinging outward more. The swing feels steep and flippy. Also, I am probably over swinging again.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I'll get some video up this week.

Probably need to see if something has crept up. If I had to guess it would be over swinging, not turn good enough on the downswing, and head moving way too much. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I'll get some video up this week.

Probably need to see if something has crept up. If I had to guess it would be over swinging, not turn good enough on the downswing, and head moving way too much. 

You were over swinging when you were playing well too.

Like I said just make the longest swings you can make that hit it solidly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

You were over swinging when you were playing well too.

Sadly, that is true. :-X

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Like I said just make the longest swings you can make that hit it solidly.

Yea, I got to remember to do that more often. Back to more chippy motions.  :whistle:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the range today. Hit the ball better. I tend to hit better shots after warming up hitting some pitches to distance wedges. 

Took some video, 

A4 position with a 4 iron. No shifting, steady head. Pretty good. 

A4-FO.jpg

A7 Position - Pretty solid with key 3. 

A7-Inline.jpg

This shot was a straight cut, about 15 yards of cut. :(

7 iron DTL

A5 position - To shallow to steep, and starting to goat hump. 

A5-DTL.jpg

This shot was a pull draw. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

6 Iron - DTL
Maybe I am on my heels again. Not sure, but the club looks too flat at address here. 

A2 - Clubbed too inward, little hand dept. 

A2-Depth.jpg

A5 - Too shallow to steep

A5-Steep.jpg

A6 - Amazing that the club is inline with the hands here, but now I am stuck behind me. No room to swing out. Especially with how the club head kicks out from A4 to A5

A6 - Stuck.jpg

6 Iron - Trying to feel more shallow at A3 to A4

Not sure if this is the right way to do this. Especially when I look at from A1.5 to A3. It's like the club head still wants to fling inside on me. I feel like the arms and club head need to work differently here. Maybe a more gradual forearm rotation to shallow the club at the top. Though I am weary that trying to shallow it will just try to flip the club inward like in this video. 

Driver - BLAH!!
It looks like I am back on my heels again at address. The swing is a lot of standing up to help shallow it out, then swinging way too around with high closure rates. 

I really really hate this picture.

A5-Driver.jpg

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

You face on 4 iron.  Impact.

IMG_1840.thumb.PNG.66dfdd33f8347819fd5f58af15824f12.PNG

Snead long iron same thing.

IMG_1841.thumb.PNG.8417adb559abd2d6c60f56b2c6c746e8.PNG

Robert Rock same thing.

IMG_1842.thumb.PNG.af3f1fc9e9d04cc8da9cb5f021ee8f55.PNG

Whats the biggest difference between you and them?

Edited by Jack Watson

2 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

Whats the biggest difference between you and them?

Probably more to do with other movements in the swing that are causing me consistency issue. A single image can tell a lot, but also be deceiving. That image can not tell you have much inward the path is moving, or how steep the swing is. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Probably more to do with other movements in the swing that are causing me consistency issue. A single image can tell a lot, but also be deceiving. That image can not tell you have much inward the path is moving, or how steep the swing is. 

That's not answering my question

That was your line on there.

1 minute ago, Jack Watson said:

That's not answering my question

That was your line on there.

Sure it answering the question. The images look very similar. As I sad, that is deceiving because I am not even close to as consistent as they were. The primary reason is maybe just ability, but also how other movements in the swing can cause issues. 

Just to warn you. This is the last time I will comment on this line of questioning. I appreciate your comments, but I will not have my swing thread get dragged down into an endless discussion on this. Please do not post more on this. Thanks! 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag