IGNORED

Maltby playability factor question

Note: This thread is 5092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I noticed on the 2009 maltby iron list, the Nike TW VR muscleback was rated higher (more playable) than either of their cavity backs, and the Mizuno MX series. Does this mean that the Nike blades are easier to hit than their cavity backs? I'm confused.

I'd be interested to know the answer too. The clubs I'm playing with are rated rather low on the scale, R7 draw, but are typical GI clubs from a looks/feel standpoint. There are even a few musclebacks and players irons rated easier to hit according to the scale.

I'm not sure how accurate it is.

it's only a load of measurements.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

i have hit the blades - THe TW VR Blades
they are forgiving for a blade - but dont kid yourself - they are a blade and will let u know it when you hit it wrong
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

The fact that Maltby has like 8 out of the first 10 spots on that list tells me everything I need to know about it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The fact that Maltby has like 8 out of the first 10 spots on that list tells me everything I need to know about it.

I think he developed the MPF, then designed his irons with that in mind - but I hear ya. I must be letting gravity be my guide - the irons I've typically preferred are always near the bottom of the list. Whatever.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Maltby also doesn't design Players' Irons, even Players' Cavities, as we think of them. I think he's several times expressed the opinion that everyone should play Game Improvement irons. It's no surprise that ease of hitting - or whatever it is that MPF measures - is the focus of his designs.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

. . . he's several times expressed the opinion that everyone should play Game Improvement irons

Hence the underlying "who cares" nature of the MPF.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

MPF is a numerical designation of certain qualities of particular golf clubs, but has very little to do with how they will feel in your hands, and when you strike the ball.

MPF is a numerical designation of certain qualities of particular golf clubs, but has very little to do with how they will feel in your hands, and when you strike the ball.

Maltby Playability Factor is based upon six measurements made on an iron from a set of clubs. I made a copy of the MPI table, but have had trouble loading it to this site. I also made up a table comparing the six-category MPF system with the three-category Golf Digest system. Basically, the higher the MPF, the easier it is to hit the club and get it airborne. Clubs with a very high MPF are harder to "work" as far as height control goes, because the Vertical Center of Gravity is so low (VCOG is a key measurement). Low VCOG means ball pops up pretty high. And yes, sometimes a blade club will have a higher MPF than a muscle-cavity: Callaway X22 Tour MPF = 594 | X Forged (2009) MPF = 621 Ping S59 MPF = 660 | I10 MPF = 560 | S57 MPF = 612 In Ping 560 vs. 660 is a noticeable difference; otherwise, 20 or 30 points difference is negligible. Maltby says: * MPF classes suggest which category of club might be best for you. But, you still need to comparison test clubs. * MPF is a starting point, but does not take into account shaft flex and kickpoint. His website has lots of info on club design and club comparisons: http://www.ralphmaltby.com/ Website doesn't show the MF categories, or how you calculate MPF. For this you need his book Maltby Playability Factor: Book I MPF Irons (2005). Some golf shops have copies of it for about $1, as a new version is in the works. Super book if you like golf club design and/or history of golf club development. Lots of pictures and engineering drawings in full color.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: Maltby' original system uses six categories of clubs. Most people on here use the Golf Digest breakdown of clubs as players, game improvement, and super game improvement. GD basically combines some of Maltby's original six.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I understand how MPF works, and it's a useful tool for revealing many of the physical properties of the golf club. But, for me, it stops there. Doesn't tell you how the ball will respond to the dynamics of an individual player's swing, how the club will feel in your hand, how it will feel when it is swung, how it will feel when the ball is struck, how it will feel on fat and/or thin shots, how it looks at address, etc. All things being equal, game improvement clubs will be easier to hit than player's cbs or mbs, but it simply can't tell you how well a club will work for you or how much you will like it.

Note: This thread is 5092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!