IGNORED

GolfTec Golf Lessons - Feedback, Discussion

Note: This thread is 3192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I spent about $2500 or so with Golftec. While I saw some improvement during the lessons, it was still very inconsistent. Yes, watching it on video is great but IMHO they spend too much time worrying about all the stats and not enough time about impact position. I think a big part of GolfTec is that it gets you out to practice. You're paying a lot and get drills, so you want to try and make the most of it, which will lead to improvement.

Personally, I didn't find it worth the money and I have seen much bigger improvement from reading the S&T; book.

i think i was in for about 1300 and that was 15 lessons and all the practice time i could handle. it was in the winter too, so it gave me the ability to keep fresh. depends on your pro

I did the free 30 min swing evaluation today and was trying to access the web based content.  The user name and password logged me in, however where do you click to view your swing analysis?

As to my visit and thoughts.....

I also met with Carl at the North Olmsted, OH location today.  From the get go, he was very pleasant to work with and asked a bunch of questions.  Hongman's post above is spot on regarding the technology they use to record your swing so I won't bore anyone with a recap of how they do their analysis.

He asked me what I wanted out of today's session.

I replied with:

First I want to know the proper way to grip a club - I told him I have heard conflicting stories on which type of grip I should use.  Last week a clubfitter I went to said I had to play a full 10 finger grip versus my normal interlocking grip.  Thankfully Carl said to go back to the interlocking grip as 9 out of every 10 full fingered players tend to allow their hands to separate during the swing at some point which can be very bad for a swing.  I was much obliged to go back to the interlock as this is what I am comfortable with.  He said my grip was a little strong but shouldn't hurt me as I was getting the clubhead back to square at impact.

Next I told him, that I have developed a fade to slice with my driver that I can't seem to cure.

He had me take 5 practice swings with my 7i.  He had me come over to the monitor.  He showed me the Pro's swing plane versus my swing plane.

I was taking the club back severely steep and returning it on the same plane.  He drew the proper plane lines on my video and I had to be 8-12" outside those lines.  I wasn't even dropping down to the upper swing plane on my downswing, my swing was so steep.  It was embarrassing.  He then brought out the SKLZ slice eliminator device.  Basically it has a couple foam pads that stick out and is adjustable up and down.  He placed this behind my ball and said to take a couple swings at 50% whereby I had to draw the club straight back to avoid the foam, then go up and over (almost looping the club) and then on the downswing make sure to come inside the foam without hitting any foam.  He then removed the device and put 3 tees down.  One directly behind the ball and each of the others on a 45* angle on the inside path in front of the ball and outside path beyond the ball.  He said to make sure my club travels over the tees.  I hit 5 more balls and immediately my swing was now on plane.  This was really eye opening.  He asked, when I was making those corrected swings what I was thinking of and he logged those in to my profile page as a drill tip.

He then had me take out my driver and try and replicate the on plane, inside out swing.  Sure enough it translated over to the driver and I was now on plane with the driver as well.  On their monitor it was showing I was actually hitting a slight draw.  Something I used to do but had eluded me for quite some time.

Finally upon leaving I asked if he could tell me which driver I should be playing as I have been torn between the last 2 I purchased.  He asked if I had a few minutes.  I of course said yes and he took me over to another room where they had a launch monitor set up.  It took a couple minutes for him to calibrate it.

Then he had me take 5 swings with Driver #1 and then by the time I got to 2 swings with Driver #2 he immediately said Driver #2 is the ticket for me.  Much better spin, impact and launch numbers.

Granted I haven't taken this to the range or course yet, but it's probably the first time I have ever received instruction and the tips provided actually feel good.  Most of the time when I get a tip, the new move feels so foreign to me.  I just felt like I had so much more pop with the driver on my practice swings there.  Can't wait to hit the range tomorrow and try the new changes out.

Another refreshing thing was Carl was in no way trying to push further lessons or instructions.  He merely told me what they had to offer and some future goals that he would focus on for me (increase shoulder/hips turn to generate more clubhead speed) should I choose to return.  He also told me there is a center much closer to my house and gave me a contact there if I ever wanted to call them.

All and all I thought this was a great experience and like I told Carl, a picture/video is worth a thousand words.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Had a chance to try out my new techniques learned during the free 30 min session at the range today.  Granted it wasn't perfect but when the stars aligned and I followed the right swing plane, my shots looked really good.  I haven't been able to hit a 20* hybrid this entire summer and was growing frustrated with hybrids in general.  I gave it one last shot and just received a new Ping G15 20* this week.  Granted not every shot was great with it but the ones I did everything right had a very nice trajectory and actually flew farther than I expected.

I think before another range session or on the course play happens I need to hit about 200 wiffle balls in the yard just to get this inside out swing down pat.  Very tough to keep my right elbow tucked as low as it needs to be.  That alone has been the biggest hurdle so far.  If I try to exaggerate it I take it FAT.

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

I went for the 30 minute eval last night and I was really impressed.  They showed me 5 or 6 measurements from putting the sensor on my back and realized that i turn my hips way too much on the back swing.  I think I opened to or past 60 degrees, and the "correct" amount was about 53.  My hip tilt was also off, but this was likely related to the over rotation.  So he set up the system to beep if I rotated my hips too much, which was really helpful.

As Erik always says, feel isn't real, and I really struggled to rotate less.  This made me recognize the value of golf tech.  Knowing that I was turning my hips too much, and having the sensor beep, I still struggled to restrict the turn, but i had a way to know when i did it too much.  I dont see how i could possibly improve on this at the driving range without the monitor on every swing and this contraption measuring my hip turn.

And that's just one flaw.

I'm not sure if he didn't tell me the practice prices, or if I just didn't really absorb what he told me.  I'm getting married a month from today, so there was no way I was dropping money on lessons on the spot.  But I would like to go back.  I know he said it was about $100 for the full 90min evaluation, which includes a fitness eval, club fitting, and swing analysis.  I'm not sure that I want to do all that--I don't need to pay someone to tell me I need to lose 30lbs, and I'm afraid the club fitting will lead to paying for new shafts (he peeked in my bag and said my driver shaft isn't nearly stiff enough, even said my struggles with the club are probably more equipment than swing) and other adjustments which will cost even more money.

I asked about practice time and he said that its about $35 for a half hour, and you dont get to use the backpack sensor.  From what i've read, it seems like they charge about $900 for 15 lessons, or 600ish for 10, each 30 minutes.  That seems a bit steep for me.  But I really do want to do it....

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

they run specials from time to time, usually around holidays.  i got 15 lessons for just under 800.  I would only do it if you are really serious about improving because it really takes a huge time commitment as well as a mental commitment to practice enough to ingrain the changes they have you make.   It can be very frustrating working on a new move and commiting to it because you will hit the ball very poorly for several days before you start getting it and while your swing looks better on camera you will not play well for a long time but eventually it will click.  and by eventually I mean after many months of hard work.

I'm am willing to put in the time and work.  Not sure about the money though.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Had my second lesson this week......still on setup and swing.......now I have some new things to think about.  I am developing a new setup routine to ensure that I don't have to think about it....just do it.......

.....and I am off all next week to a golf resort in North Georgia with some friends......will be able to get it down before I play with my regular Saturday group.

I won a hour golftec swing evaluation.  I thought it was helpful, I didn't care for the wearing the harnest but i understand it helps grade my swing.   They definitely try to sell you on a package at the end.  I didn't buy it I opted for lessons elsewhere.  Found lessons at half the price and feel like I'm getting more out of it.

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Driver Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 3 Wood Taylormade R11 Hybrid 19* Taylormade MC Forged Irons 4-PW Taylormade XFT 52, 56 60 Wedges Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter Taylormade Penta Balls

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after 10 lessons in 4 months at GolfTEC (plus the 90 minutes of practice bay time each week), my swing looks much better.  I took 8 lessons on the full swing and 2 on putting.  The putting lessons have made me much worse.  The instructor got me putting in more of an arc (I was outside-to-outside before) in order to not get any sidespin on the ball.  Perhaps I just need to get used to it, but the past month or so I've been averaging 3 to 4 more putts per round, and have no confidence.

My 18-hole round scores have generally been creeping up higher over the past month and I am hitting many less fairways and greens.  I decided to get fitted for a new driver and 3-wood to replace  clubs I purchased in the late 90's.  My first round (yesterday) with the new clubs produced the highest 18-hole score I've had in 4 months (91).  I hit ZERO fairways with the new driver.  Perhaps I need to get used to the new clubs?

So...utilizing their video system, my swing looks much closer to a PGA Tour pro's, and I am happy with the way my swing looks.  However, I am playing golf on the course much worse.  Could that be because I have too much to think about?  my instructor is not good?  I am not trying hard enough?  At this point, I'm not quite sure.  But, I recall the year I shot 2-under par (70) on a country club course in 1993, I had only taken 1 or 2 lessons that year.  I do know that over the past 25-years I've never spent so much time or money to improve my golf swing as I have this year.

I would think that spending $1200 on lessons over a 6-month period would give me the results I am seeking...but not so far.

GolfTEC is fun, I will give them that.  But, I haven't got any golf course score result improvement.  If success is defined as my swing more matching a tour pro's, I can call success.  Perhaps I will need another 2 or 3 years of practicing the drills I have learned...

I will not enlist for more lessons at GolfTEC until I start to see results from the first 15-lesson package I signed up for.

After 3 lessons and a weeks vacation, I can now say that the Golftec lessons have helped me tremendously. My drives are now with a neutral driver, not one with a draw setup or closed face. They are now 20 to 30 yards longer and most are straight down the fairway. I am scoring in the 80s again.....after three months in the 90s......my swing now includes my hips where before it was mostly just my arms. I have been playing a most courses at 6,000 yds.....today, I played a course over 6,300 yds and shot an 88. This week, I take my complete bag with me and get an eval on all my clubs......next week I do a one hour outdoor lesson...chipping & putting. I know its not cheap, but it`s the first time I have tried lessons ......been playing for 52 years.....and I am excited.

Lessons 4 & 5 were tonight....... #4: club eval....driver 2" too long and should be 11.5 to 12 degrees........irons 1/2 inch too long, causes me to hit off the inside a lot. said I should give up the 3 & 5 woods and just get a 17 degree 4 wood. That would allow me to put my 4 iron back in the bag. #5: Putting lesson....he showed me that my angle from arm to putter shaft s/b a straight line.....mine is bent causing wrist issues when I putt.....then he showed me how to setup correctly to take angle and wrist out of swing.....Nice improvement but will take some getting used to. I am having fun.......my last four rounds saw an 35 yd increase in my driver. Next up...outdoor lesson chipping & putting.

Originally Posted by Ratman2356

Offer must have expired or I am blind. Definitely a possibility. Don't see it anywhere on the JW website.

When I did mine last month I couldnt find it on their site either.  I actually went to the golftec site and clicked on the Live Chat.  Explained to the guy that I couldnt find the promo and he signed me up right then and there.

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

I was never able to access my web lesson from the JW promotion.  To make up for it the pro there told me to come back in for another free session.  So I did.  This time since my swing was now on plane he noticed I wasn't taking a full backswing.  So he gave me a drill to work on and then setup the system to beep when I got to the correct shoulder turn position.  that was enlightening.  I felt like I was going to spin out of my shoes, lol.  I learned though by taking a slower backswing I could reach this position without feeling like i was going to fall over.

Upon leaving I asked if he could tell me if the driver I was playing was correct for me.

he basically said that the head was good for me but that I was getting too much backspin out of the driver.

he couldnt recommend a good shaft he said without me paying for the full $100 Driver/Shaft fitting where they do a thorough analysis.  A bit bummed but oh well, you can only get so much good info for free.  If I had the extra money I would definately go back for more lessons.

Oh and the web lesson appeared this time.

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

I will add my Golftec experience to the board.

I am a 16 handicap, on good days can shape ball both ways, play knockdowns, etc but very inconsistent. On worst days will have 5 or 6 penalty strokes, usually off the tee.

Did a $99 intro session and was horrified to see how badly my left arm breaks down and a variety of other unexpected flaws.

Negotiated a custom package of 10 lessons with unlimited practice time over 6 months for $900 - can't play outside in the winter where I am anyway. Instructor seems decent. My impression was that they have a lot of flexibility with these packages- be sure to negotiate for what you want.

Plan is to space out the lessons and use practice bays a lot - hard to beat the instant video feedback compared to the driving range for me.

I actually considered just buying the practice time without the lessons - I really think having access to their bay is possibly worth as much if not more than the lessons themselves. I will schedule next lesson when I have "fixed" the issue from the previous lesson. Right now I'm working on shortening backswing with proper weight transfer and keeping left arm from breaking down. After three practice sessions of about an hour a piece I'm almost there. Only when I have that tackled, will I proceed to scheduling the next lesson. Since I spaced them out over 6 months there is no rush.

Will post progress here.

I'll add my two cents....

I had a fairly pleasant experience with golf tec.  I think the place is very suited for beginner golfers.

Their instructors (in my case) place entirely too much emphasis on measuring body angles (green, red, yellow) and can let that very much impact their approach.

I, for example, have a small shoulder turn (probably 75%), much less than his suggested 90 degree turn.   Well, he was obsessed with increasing that and it disrupted my entire swing, for weeks.   I didn't go into the scenario wanting to build a new swing and I don't think he was interested in hearing that.

I think they put a little too much stress on perfectly aligned swings meeting industry "standards"  -  I understand what they're trying to do, but not for me....

I will say that the staff was great and friendly.  It was a low pressure envioronment and I think people may enjoy it  -  I just prefer my regular coach and being on the course.

RBZ 9.5 Stiff

R11 14.0 Stiff

Superfast 18.0 3 hybrid Stiff

MP-52 4-PW - Stiff, full cord Golf Pride grips

Studio Select, Newport 2.5

ProV1x #5-8

Note: This thread is 3192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!