IGNORED

Do I really Need a 3 wood?

Note: This thread is 5888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do I really need a 3 wood?

• Yes
    • No

golfchief

what you have said is so typical of wise ass know it alls in golf forums who probably suck at life never mind golf

the irony of you telling me to get my facts straight is delicious!

i DO have my facts correct! My driver is between 4.5 degrees and 7.5 degrees. The shorter driver i have is at 10 degrees and this is used as a 3 wood!!

Maybe i have more than 1 driver and all of them are between 4.5 degrees and 7.5 degrees and maybe i only carry 1 when i play golf, maybe!

i use a callaway bore through titanium driver as a 3 wood replacement, its 10 degrees and its a doddle to hit of the deck

why pros come up short on par 5 s is a mystery to me, i wouldnt let it happen

k

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had bought the Ping Rapture 3 wood when I started playing along with the Rapture irons and driver. Anyways because that particular 3 wood is so large and difficult to hit off the deck, I hardly ever hit the thing. As a result I ditched it when I switched to my new irons. I hit my 2i hybrid which is 17 degrees about 240 (when I hit it well) so I haven't run into too many situations where I really miss a 3 wood. Obviously if I could hit my 3 wood as well as my hybrid, I would have one in my bag, but 3 wedges seems more important to my scoring.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

Lost Ball has trouble off the tee but hits the 3-wood incredibly well so yes, it is in Lost Ball's bag
Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad.

- A.A. Milne

If it aint broke don't fix it!!!!!bwgolfer

TaylorMade Burner TP 9.5* stiff shaft Driver and Taylormade 15* medal
Cleveland utilities 22*
Taylormade tour prefered irons with rifle flighted 6.0
Taylormade z groove tp wedges 52* and 58*
Rife Antigua blade putterTitlest Pro V1X, Bridgestone 3000s Black

golfchief

You said you have two drivers and one is 10*. That would mean the other is a specific number. Also you have alot of maybes

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

golfchief

You didn't gain any credibility with that statement.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Well I'd say use what works for you... a 3-wood of the deck for a 17 handicapper is kinda hard to come by... I'd personally say get something with a low profile if you are gonna hit a 3-wood...

I find from time to time I need a 3-wood second shot into that odd 580-yard par 5... I can reach longer with a 3-wood... but usually I like to lay-up to a full wedge yardage... You don't really need one... unless you have a 600+ yard par 5... where you have to hit Driver, hybrid just to get to 150 yards... then you might want to think about 3-wood...

That 5-wood idea with the 3-wood shaft sounds kinda good... I might do that so I can pull out my 2-iron...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me I love my three wood alot. Have been consistent both off the tee and on the fairway. Not a long hitter so three wood quite useful in longer par 4. It depend on whether you feel you require it or not, club are not there for the stake it, it depend whether it will be u a advantage or not.
Handicap Index: 16.4
Driver: Taylormade Burner 9.5 Degree
Wood: Nike Sasquatch 2 , Honshin Wood
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Degree
Iron: Macgregor Mactech M685 (4-PW)Wedge: Honshin Professional Wedge 56 Degree , Adam Golf Tom Watson 2007 Wedge 60 DegreePutter: Honshin PutterBall: Taylormade TP/Red

For the bogey golfer (I am a 19 so I rounded down) I don't hit mine too often because I don't use it off the tee and I don't have a lot of longer holes that I am going into off the fairway. it used to be my driver until I decided I was good enough to hit a driver, not sure if I had that call right. Usually if I have a longer shot off the turf or a short par 4 I go with my five wood because I launch it a little higher. It is easier to hit with a little shorter shaft and a little smaller head. not sure what the distance is, but the 3w is good for when I want to hit a lower shot that has more of a chance to run. Again, this is coming from a 19 that hasn't been striking the ball very well even by my low standards....

Classic 290 10.5 Miyazaki C. Kua 43 R

AMP 15 Aldila RIP F

Baffler Rail H 17 & 22 Fujikura Motore S

S2 Forged 5-GW Nippon NS Pro 900xh R

SM 54 & 58 Vokey Nippon 105T W

Studio Style Newport 1.5

I'm a big fan of using what works, if by not having a 3 wood, you are using better course management then by all means keep sticking to what you have.

I agree. I've been contemplating putting another wedge in my bag, which means pulling out a longer club. I haven't been that successful hitting my 3 wood off the fairway with the combination of accuracy and clubhead speed that I'd like, so I will usually go with the 5 wood or hybrid. I also realized I can choke down on the driver if I need to be careful about hitting it too far off the tee. The 460cc club head is a lot more difficult to miss-hit than the 3 wood!

This post just helped me make my decision!

In my TM r7 Stand bag:
Driver- r11 10.5° Reg shaft

Fairway wood - r11 3 wood
Hybrids- r11 3, 4 & 5
Irons- M1 6-AW, xft 50, xft 54.12 , xft 60.08°
Still have / love my r7 CGB Max 6-PW, xft 50, xft 54.12, xft 60.08° which I keep in Myrtle Beach, Tommy Armour 855 Putter

• 1 month later...
I sort of do the same. I have a 3 wood and 7 wood, and a 19* hybrid. I have yet to get into a situation where one of the 3 didnt get me where i needed to go.

i go back and forth between trying to make room for all my wedges, two iron and 3 and 5 wood

how did they come up with this arbitrary number of 14 clubs?

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

i go back and forth between trying to make room for all my wedges, two iron and 3 and 5 wood

The answer to your query is that it was probably determined by a couple of Scotsmen smoking ganga in some sheep pasture, after which they came up with the brilliant concept of the deep sand bunker.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I prefer my Titleist 5 wood in all honest, but the 3 can be very handy for certain courses.

The course I am a member at is 7,400 and very tight so a 3 wood can be a stock club of a tee and the Callaway FT is giving me more distance than my old V-Steel 3 wood.
In My Bag:

DriverR7 Superquad, 9.5 Degrees
WoodFT 3 Wood, 15 Degrees
Wood906F 5 Wood, 18 DegreesIronsMX-25 3-9 IronWedgeVokey Tour Chrome 48 Degree WedgeX Forged Vintage Wedge 54 DegreeWedge Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60 Degree PutterUnitized Retro

My Titleist is 42.5", which gives me more control off the tee when needed. I play a course which has a couple of 350 yard par 4's, so the three leaves me a full wedge. To each his own.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I tried going without one for awhile and subbing a 1 iron for it but ended up going back to it just because of the consistency and length factor. I like mine just because it gives me a better chance on the par fives on my second shots towards the greens.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

I have recently been thinking about buying a 3 wood. The only problem is I don't know if I really need one! I currently own a 10* Callaway X460 and a Callaway 17* Hybrid that equals a 2 iron / 4 wood. I am pretty decent with the driver and I am surgical with the Heavenwood off a the tee. I never use the heavenwood other than off the tee. So I was just looking for some opinions as to wethre or not I actually needed the 3 wood? Any help you give would be great!

If you're partial to Cally, get a 4-wood; it will definitely be longer than the hybrid because of the loft and shaft length.

IMO, the ultimate 3-wood is the Tour Edge cb2; which also might be a great addition as a 4-wood, if you have trouble elevating a 3-wood.

I prefer to use my three wood off the tee on short par fours, but I do not own any hybrids. Guess it just depends on what you are comfortable hitting, I love my Big Berthas.

Driver: 905R 10.5 YS-6+ Stiff
3 & 5 Woods: Big Bertha War Bird
Irons: MP-57 S300 3-PW
Wedges: MB Wedges 56 and 60
Putter: SabertoothBall: Platinum Feel

Note: This thread is 5888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!