IGNORED

My Swing (applejr)

applejr
Note: This thread is 4497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Background:

I just started playing golf around 2 months ago. I read Ben Hogan's 5 Fundamentals and have taken two lessons, and that's pretty much how I've gotten to my swing today. My problem is I push everything. I don't ever have a ball go straight...hardly ever. And it's not just a slight push, it's a 45 degree push. Below is 4 different swings with a 6 iron.

Anything you guys see me doing wrong, I'd love the feedback.

I realize golf takes a while to learn, but man, is this game frustrating.

In my Bag (work in progress):

Driver: TaylorMade 10.5* R11, Regular Shaft
3W: TaylorMade Burner 15*

3Hy: Nike SQ Sumo Hybrid
Irons: 2005 TaylorMade Rac OS, 4-AW

Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56*, old dingy 64* wedge that I have no business using

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour Putter or a Cleveland Classic Anser-Style

Kicks: Footjoy E-Comforts

Ball: Used Titleist DT Solos.

Things I noticed:
Setup looks a bit cramped
Shoulder turn is incomplete and you bring the club way to far back (past parallel) on the backswing
You watch your clubhead on the backswing/your head moves up and down, which is changing your spine angle... you are compressing your body in the backswing, and standing up on the downswing... this would result in poor contact (probably off the toe?)
You are off balance some times on the finish... I think this may be due to the overswinging and standing up in the swing.

You are hitting the golf ball exactly where your shoulders are pointed at impact.

Driver - Taylor Made 09 Burner.
3 Wood - Callaway Diablo.
Hybrid Irons - Adams A30S
Wedges - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. 56*, 60* Taylormade Rac.
Putter - Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1.

Why don't you try turning your hips before you hit the ball. So, you first turn your hips, and then you hit it.
I know that's a problem to me sometimes....

Also, I think that your shoulders and body are facing left of the target.

You are hitting the golf ball exactly where your shoulders are pointed at impact.

His shoulders are open at impact. He hits the ball right because the club face is open at impact. Probable cause being the cupped left wrist.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Your grip appears to be a tad weak. If you're truly copying Hogan, this isn't the place to start. Hogan worked to avoid the hooks like crazy so he had a weak grip. It doesn't suit most people.

You will want to work on a little extensor action on the backswing. Your right elbow and arm should feel more like they stay straight longer. The right elbow collapses on you.

And read the "straighten the right leg" thread.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks everyone for the advice so far, I love that there are so many people here to help.

His shoulders are open at impact. He hits the ball right because the club face is open at impact. Probable cause being the cupped left wrist.

Could you provide a picture of what you mean by cupped left wrist? I could even see myself that my club face was open at impact, I just am not really sure how to fix it.

Does open shoulders + open club face = push?
Your grip appears to be a tad weak. If you're truly copying Hogan, this isn't the place to start. Hogan worked to avoid the hooks like crazy so he had a weak grip. It doesn't suit most people.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to fix the weak grip, that would mean to rotate the hands to the right a tad, right?

The downswing is the part of the swing that I still don't have a good feel for what I'm supposed to be doing. In Hogan's book, it seems like he says that it all just kind of happens naturally like a chain reaction, but it doesn't seem that way to me, and it feels like I'm doing something wrong. Again, thanks everyone for their comments.

• 1 year later...

Been a long time since i posted a video (wow, almost 2 years actually). I got my dad to video tape my a couple driver swings this past weekend, then got home and looked and realized they weren't great quality and the had the phone vertical, so apologize for the video quality. I plan to try and get more, but thought I'd post these.

Two things I noticed:

1) Overswinging, and tempo in general. Things I consistently battle with, especially later in a round when I get loose.

2) Hands could be deeper.

Like I said, I'll try and get more videos, but thanks in advance for any comments.

Note: This thread is 4497 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!