IGNORED

Shooting 80-Distances required

Brakkus
Note: This thread is 5110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For a second I almost thought I was the one who posted this thread and didn't even realize it. :p

Our distances are about the same, I just struggle so often to break that 83-85 threshold. I work on my short game several hours a week, and plan on amping it up even more when I'm done with school for the year here in a few weeks. I honestly think if I could improve my short game I would be consistently shooting par. I waste so many putts and chips per round its ridiculous.

In the bag:

Driver- SQ Dymo2 Str8-fit 10.5 Regular Flex
3 wood- NDS
Irons- FP with an A3 Idea 8 ironWedge- 60* Lob wedgePutter- FX3 (but looking to add a Scotty Cameron sometime this season)

Length is good to have but as you pointed out short game as well as good course management will help you shoot in the 80's or possibly lower. Knowing your strengths and playing to those are important. Three most important clubs in your bag - Driver, Putter, Wedge. Get good at those and you can shoot 80 in your sleep.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

The short game is very valuable, but if you can't hit SOME iron over 180 yards, I don't see how you would normally break 80 on a decently tough course. Hitting hybrids into par 4's every hole OR bigger clubs is a recipe for disaster with bunkers in front of greens and so on. You can definately shoot in the 70's if you make a lot of putts or chip it close but very tough. Of course, you may play a short course like I do and be thankful lol :)

Can most golfers get up-and-down often enough to avoid being a bogey golfer? I would doubt it, the guy you played with apparently being the execption... For most of us, not getting GIR means a bogey hole.

No, he's right.

I'm nearly half the age of most of the guys in my golf association. I hit the tee ball at least 40 - 50 yards further than them. Yet, almost every one of them beats me week in and week out. They are playing the same tee boxes I am. The difference is that I'm in the rough more often. My approach shots are on one side of the green or the other. When I chip onto the green, I often still have 15+ feet left to putt. They are consistent and accurate. That's what makes them better than me.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

The short game is very valuable, but if you can't hit SOME iron over 180 yards, I don't see how you would normally break 80 on a decently tough course. Hitting hybrids into par 4's every hole OR bigger clubs is a recipe for disaster with bunkers in front of greens and so on. You can definately shoot in the 70's if you make a lot of putts or chip it close but very tough. Of course, you may play a short course like I do and be thankful lol :)

Hybrids, when hit correctly land much softer than a low iron. I'd rather take a long approach with a 3hy then a 4 iron...

Actually, with those distances, on courses up to say 6800 yards, you wouldn't have any trouble shooting in the 60s from time to time with a good short game and hitting it straight. Distance is the least of your problems if you can't break 80 with those yardages.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

I have played with scratch players who don't hit it any further. They hit it quite straight though ....

You are exactly correct.

My distance off the tee is no shorter than some guys in the low single digits, but they are in the middle of the fairway every time, and their second shot is generally on the green, and when it's not, they still get up and down all the time.

Note: This thread is 5110 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!