IGNORED

Golf GPS for Android System

bshack
Note: This thread is 4642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a Droid phone and just downloaded a free gps application that helps with yardages.

The name is FreeCaddie

It measures to the front, middle and back of the green and has a lot of courses. Many courses the top gps systems dont have. I was really surprised and suggest it to anyone that has an Iphone or Android phone.

I would like to upgrade to another system in the future however for the time being this is free and works great.

I have no affiliation with this application I am just throwing a heads up out there for those who are interested.
...Practice Can Never Make Perfect... Practice Makes Improvement...
 bettinardi.gif
taylormade.gifadidas.gif

Freecaddy works great, but is a battery hog on my G1. I just need to get an external battery so I can keep the phone charged for the full round! Just picked up a clicgear cart and am going to figure out how to make this work!

I downloaded it last night but it won't load the GPS. It just keeps saying "searching for GPS", but never finds it.

I don't want to turn this into Droid chat but do you happen to have Weather Bug installed as an app? I have a My Touch and I couldn't get Golf Logix's app to work correctly. I had the same problem with "searching for GPS" as you do and after quite a bit of time on-line I read about this GPS problem and Weather Bug. I uninstalled it, powered down, took the battery out, and started back up again and my GPS came back on line. And by the way the Golf Logix app is great! I love the stat tracking features,

I have a Droid phone and just downloaded a free gps application that helps with yardages.

I have this on my Samsung Moment and it's a great little free app. My buddy has a Garmin and I compared the yardages and they were identical. Ultimately I'd like something that tells me how far I am from a hazard, but for my 1st golf gps it's great and the price was right!

In my Org.14 Xtreme Cart Bag
Driver: G15 10.5* TFC 149D Reg Flex
3 Wood: G15
Hybrid: Diablo Edge 3i
Irons: Diablo Edge 52* and 56* Wedges: CG14 Chrome60* Wedge: CG15 ChromePutter: White Ice SabertoothBall: Assorted

I don't want to turn this into Droid chat but do you happen to have Weather Bug installed as an app? I have a My Touch and I couldn't get Golf Logix's app to work correctly. I had the same problem with "searching for GPS" as you do and after quite a bit of time on-line I read about this GPS problem and Weather Bug. I uninstalled it, powered down, took the battery out, and started back up again and my GPS came back on line. And by the way the Golf Logix app is great! I love the stat tracking features,

No, I don't have weather bug, I have weather channel. Regardless, something is kind of funky so I'll try uninstalling and doing the whole power down, battery out thing. I hate doing that. It feels like the technological equivilant of kicking a machine until it works, but sadly it works a lot of the time.

No, I don't have weather bug, I have weather channel. Regardless, something is kind of funky so I'll try uninstalling and doing the whole power down, battery out thing. I hate doing that. It feels like the technological equivilant of kicking a machine until it works, but sadly it works a lot of the time.

Are you setting it up at home or at the course. If your at home or at work it sets up a gps of you and can take a long time initially if not at the course. After the original search times afterwards will find it quicker. Hope this works.
 bettinardi.gif
taylormade.gifadidas.gif

for the droid i use the How far am I? app. it gives yardages to middle of greens. works great. i wanna try the freecaddie one now tho because i want front and back as well as middle.

Putter first 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist: 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping: i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

Yep I use FreeCaddie on my Nokia N85 (Symbian OS) and it is great, having the yardage to front/middle/back of a green takes the guess work out of it

I agree though that it is a battery hog, if I have not got a full battery it will not last a full 18.

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

Yep I use FreeCaddie on my Nokia N85 (Symbian OS) and it is great, having the yardage to front/middle/back of a green takes the guess work out of it

I normally dont have it running unless I question the distance. Once you initially set it up at the course it loads very quickly throughout the round. I dont think every shot needs the free cadie I use yardage markers if im near one... call me an ole timer but it makes the battery last a lot longer.
 bettinardi.gif
taylormade.gifadidas.gif

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, i just recently got a new phone. It has some apps for golf GPS. Ranging from $3 up to $30.

Some of the free options are "golf logic, free caddie, swing by swing. TBH theyre not the greatest, and they dont seem to have any of the courses i play up here in ontario. Are most GPS built for the states?

Then theres some of the paid options. golfshot: golf gps-$30, skydroid golf gps-$3, and free caddie pro golf gps. anyone use these?

To segway to another question, maybe i should just get a range finder? any good accurate range finders that dont break the bank?

Thanks a lot!

I am working on a golf gps app. Well really it is actually a golf stat tracking app that uses gps. I hope to be done soon but it would have stat tracking similar or better than golfshot and it will cost a lot less. Anyways...

Of those you listed skydroid is your best bet as you can map your own courses on their website. Its very simple but provides good yardages. There are a few others that offer this capability if you can't find one that has courses in your area.

I don't suggest a rangefinder, they are no better than the phones for gps at least in my experience and if your course isn't mapped you are kind of out of luck and they cost a lot more, some of them even have subscription fees.

:whistle:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Of the GPS apps I've tried, I actually prefer Swing by Swing... For one, its free, and so far it's been very accurate.  You get the distance to the center of the green and you can touch any point on the hole you are playing on the overhead shot and get a distance to that point, so you can find out how far to carry the bunker or water or whatever.  Also, you can hit green and it gives a close up view of the green with lines every ten yards so you can see the depth of the green and plan how far to hit based on pin placement.  Lastly, it is very simple to add courses not already on the list yourself using their website... If you play the course fairly regularly or if you have a map of the course layout (often times on the scorecard or on the courses website) it is very simple to do (probably will take you 1/2 hour at the most); if not it can be somewhat of a challenge because looking at the map online, you don't know which hole is which.  If this is your problem you can have Swing by Swing do it for you for $8 with a turnaround time of a few days.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by jshots

I am working on a golf gps app. Well really it is actually a golf stat tracking app that uses gps. I hope to be done soon but it would have stat tracking similar or better than golfshot and it will cost a lot less. Anyways...

Of those you listed skydroid is your best bet as you can map your own courses on their website. Its very simple but provides good yardages. There are a few others that offer this capability if you can't find one that has courses in your area.

I don't suggest a rangefinder, they are no better than the phones for gps at least in my experience and if your course isn't mapped you are kind of out of luck and they cost a lot more, some of them even have subscription fees.

If you are taking suggestions, I'd love a feature where you could have the app record every position of the ball during your round and then download to your computer and do a shotlink-like depiction of how you played each hole.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by turtleback

If you are taking suggestions, I'd love a feature where you could have the app record every position of the ball during your round and then download to your computer and do a shotlink-like depiction of how you played each hole.

This is actually sort of what the entire thing is based of of.

:whistle:

I use nRange I had it on my blackberry and now on my EVO 4G. You can pick 3 courses to play for free forever or pay $19.00 for a year and play any course you want or $89.00 lifetime and can transfer it to whatever phone you have or will have and play any course. I do the $19. I have compared it to a skycaddie and various other brands including what some courses have on their carts. It is within a yard of all of them and I can't complain about it at all. It has great stat tracking and a full map as well as all distances with just a touch on the screen. Give it a try and you won't be disappointed.

http://www.nrange.com/

nike.gifTour
ping.gifG10 Driver 9*
ping.gifG10 3Wood 15.5*ping.gifG10 5Wood 18.5*ping.gifG10 Irons 4- PWping.gifTour Wedges 50*, 56*, 60*odyssey.gifPutter 33" Sabertoothbridgestone.gifBall E6

I use SkyDroid.  I picked it up last year for $2 (don't know if it still costs that now).  A friend had already gotten it and I figured $2 was a steal (that's like a single golf ball!).  The thing I really like about it is that you can add any course if they don't already have it in the database.  On their site, they just have a thing where you look at a google satellite view, find your course, then start marking the front/center/back of each green.  I don't know if any of the other apps do that, but it seems simple enough that they should.  It also has a "track" feature, where you hit the button when you hit the ball, then walk to your ball and it will tell you how far you hit it.  My delusions of how far I can drive the ball quickly went away once I started using that.

Note: This thread is 4642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!