IGNORED

Course Rating and Slope for a Par 3 course

Note: This thread is 5226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was a bit surprised to find out that my local par-3 course didn't provide the course rating and slope on their scorecard.

Does anyone know what an average slope and course rating would be for a par-3, 18-hole course?

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

There is no way to truly know, but par 3 courses are usually rated pretty easily. If par is 54, the course rating has to be lower. Maybe sub-50. The slope is likely around 113, maybe even lower there too. But like I said, it is all guesses.

Also, if you haven't asked them in the pro shop, they might (and likely should) be able to provide you with an answer.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was a bit surprised to find out that my local par-3 course didn't provide the course rating and slope on their scorecard.

Slope and rating are done by the USGA to come up with handicaps. I think executive golf courses are not supposed to be included in the handicap. The best you can do is estimate. Generally speaking, slope and rating will only be found on full size golf courses.

I'm not sure though, Iacas is an expert on these matters.

How long is the course? Under both the RCGA and USGA handicap system, when the length of the course is less than 3,000 yards for 18 holes (or less than 1,500 yards for 9 holes) then the score can not be posted for handicap purposes so there would be no need to have a course rating or slope.

Rob Tyska

The best you can do is estimate.

You never estimate. If the course has no rating or slope then the score can not be posted for handicap purposes. So if you are ever fortunate enough to play Augusta National, you can't post your score since the course does not have a rating or slope.

Rob Tyska

You never estimate. If the course has no rating or slope then the score can not be posted for handicap purposes. So if you are ever fortunate enough to play Augusta National, you can't post your score since the course does not have a rating or slope.

I'm aware you can't estimate to post a score, I meant he'd have to estimate his handicap.

How long is the course? Under both the RCGA and USGA handicap system, when the length of the course is less than 3,000 yards for 18 holes (or less than 1,500 yards for 9 holes) then the score can not be posted for handicap purposes so there would be no need to have a course rating or slope.

Yes, the course is about 2600, but each hole has a handicap.

Driver: :cobra: BiO Cell (10.5º)

Wood: :ping: G15 3 (15.5°)

Hybrids: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 3 (21º), 4 (24º)

Irons: :callaway: Diablo Edge: 5-PW

Wedges: :cleveland:588 RTX CB 50º, Paradise Black Chrome II Sand Wedge 56º

• Administrator
I'm pretty sure the answer is that they don't rate courses under a certain length. Why? Because you're not playing golf per se - you're playing a game resembling golf but which doesn't offer an examination of all of your golf skills, like "hitting a driver" or, most of the time, any club longer than about a 7-iron. Hitting longer clubs is part of golf.

The practical reason may simply be that owners of par three courses don't wish to pay to have their course rated.

Given that "you're not really playing golf" (in the sense I mean it), I don't know what the debate's about. I wouldn't enter a score shot on a par three course for handicap purposes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 5226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!