IGNORED

My Swing (shortstop20)

shortstop20
Note: This thread is 2557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by inthehole

My only suggestion is your takeaway is very fast ... you might try slowing down the tempo on the backswing - I find its much easier to get a fluid swing with a slower backswing.

I think that's been mentioned - to no avail.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by iacas

Let your right hip work up and back behind you sooner - stretch the right side of your body from the ankle to the armpit sooner (immediately when starting the backswing). This will let you rotate your shoulders more and earlier, and will help to eliminate the right elbow over-bending/over-folding.

I haven't been to the range lately but I recorded a dry swing earlier. Was just trying to get a feel for things. To me, this feels way inside on the backswing and way across the line but I see that the club is not inside nor across the line.

How's this look to you?

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Originally Posted by shortstop20

I haven't been to the range lately but I recorded a dry swing earlier. Was just trying to get a feel for things. To me, this feels way inside on the backswing and way across the line but I see that the club is not inside nor across the line.

How's this look to you?

Better. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more extension in the right knee - not locked but a little less flexed - but if you can make the changes in this video with an actual golf ball sitting in front of you it should help quite a bit.

If you want the club a bit less across the line than it is even there, just maintain the pressure point in your right arm pit a little more. Note that you'll have to feel like your right arm never bends as well, but frankly, that's too much to think about now and you might not want to make that change anyway.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Better. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more extension in the right knee - not locked but a little less flexed - but if you can make the changes in this video with an actual golf ball sitting in front of you it should help quite a bit.

If you want the club a bit less across the line than it is even there, just maintain the pressure point in your right arm pit a little more. Note that you'll have to feel like your right arm never bends as well, but frankly, that's too much to think about now and you might not want to make that change anyway.

Thanks.

I don't think I'll worry about being across the line. I was really trying to exaggerate it in the video to get rid of the laid off position. I'd be surprised if I ever end up across the line while hitting balls.

- Joel

• 7 months later...

I'm seeing some improvement, but I think I need to get my hands further in on the backswing and the shaft steeper on the backswing.

Thoughts?

Typical shot right now is a straight shot to slight cut.

- Joel

• 4 months later...

Well, I have been playing much better the past month and a half. Have shot in the low 80's several times since then.

As you can see, my head likes to move forward on the backswing and at the start of the downswing. Working on getting rid of that. Need to stay on top of my swing length too, gets too long sometimes.

- Joel

• 7 months later...

I'm hitting the ball pretty well for this early in the year and I'm excited with how my swing is looking.

- Joel

• 9 months later...

Never got around to posting this, but I shot two rounds in the 70's last year.......a 76 and 77 at courses rated at 70/120 and 70.2/119. I was really happy to do that. I played a round on President's Day and surprisingly had little rust and my swing was feeling great on the back 9.

Here's some swings from last year. I know I need to shorten my arm swing by keeping my right arm straighter(less bent), that is my priority this year. I'm also wondering though, do I have too much head movement and do I turn my shoulders at the correct angle? They look like they may be turning too flat?

- Joel

• Administrator

Shortening your backswing is good, yes, but this video will be quite helpful:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/144#post_917133

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My weight isn't far enough forward? I'm well aware weight forward is important but I never would have thought I was lacking there.

- Joel

• Administrator

My weight isn't far enough forward?

I'm well aware weight forward is important but I never would have thought I was lacking there.

Did you watch the video? As the title indicates it has more to do with this:

I see now that I'm on a laptop. All I saw on my phone was "weight forward". I did watch the video though, I just wasn't sure whether you were referring me to the weight forward or the turn part.

- Joel

• Administrator

I see now that I'm on a laptop. All I saw on my phone was "weight forward". I did watch the video though, I just wasn't sure whether you were referring me to the weight forward or the turn part.

Yeah, there you go. It's still Key #2 but it's Key #2 done properly. :) Forward AND turning enough. :-D

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, it's been quite a while since I have updated my progress on here. I should do so more often but I'm a bit of a procrastinator. :surrender:

Anyways, I've been shooting low 80's all year with a crappy putter and finally last night the putter came alive and I fired a personal best 75 on a 6200 yard, 70.0/120 course.

So far this year my handicap has dropped from 11 to 9.4 and I'm thinking I can get down to 7 or 8 if the putter keeps working.

Here's a couple videos.

Lots more on my channel as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/shortstop20

- Joel

What are you struggling with right now? I thought your ball position was quite far forward for a 5 iron but that's probably not something that matters much. One thing I see but hope someone else will be able to confirm or dismiss:

You don't seem to have much hip turn on the backswing and mostly just turn the upper body.

Compare this snapshot of your swing to one of the previous pictures posted of dtl

Your right pocket is still pretty much pointed at the camera and your right knee still has a lot of flex in it.

This is may or may not be something that is an issue, just stands out to me.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

First thing I noticed, in the backswing, you have a lot of arm movement and very little hip turn. See the image, look at how much flex is in your back knee. You can tell by how your backswing stops at about a 3/4 swing. If you allowed your hips to open up more, you would get to parallel. So you need to loose a bit more flex in that back knee, and let your hips turn sooner in the backswing. Check out the video above for more details.

At impact your hips should be more open. Try to focus on getting your left hip to fire around and up. See how flat your hips are, and how your right knee kicks out. You need to get more extension in the legs and get your belt buckle pointing more towards the sky. Check out Rory on the right. See how his back heel isn't as high off the ground, and more open he is. He's gaining extension into the finish. Check out the video bellow for more on this.

I would work on the backswing first. It will be the easier thing to fix, and should help with the 2nd part as well. If you get that proper hip turn, getting that right hip to go back and up, it will allow things to slide forward more easily.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Apparently I wasn't far off on what I saw.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 2557 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!