IGNORED

My Swing (shortstop20)

shortstop20
Note: This thread is 2584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree with what you guys have posted. Those things are on my radar.

This year my main focus has been to eliminate the arm run off in my swing.  I think I have achieved that with the irons and still have a little ways to go with the woods. I used to get my left arm severely bent at the top of the backswing. One day I'd shoot 81 and the next day I'd shoot 90. Hitting anything more than a 6 iron off the deck was a crap shoot at best. My consistency is much better this year with all clubs and I feel like I can pull my 3W from 240 or my 2 hybrid from 220 and have a decent shot at hitting the green vs. topping it 50 yards down the fairway half of the time. LOL

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have some really awesome pieces. The first thing I notice @saevel25 is dead on regarding the shoulder turn in the backswing. I would like to see more turn as well. For me, more shoulder turn actually helps me to stop running the left arm on as you state because I feel I can get enough power from the increase shoulder turn that I don't need to run the arms on to get more distance.

The other minor thing is in your set up. It looks to me that your front foot could use a bit more flare.

Michael

Yes, I never realized how little my front foot was flared until I took those videos.

I started flaring it more yesterday and could notice a difference right away. :dance:

- Joel

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I used to be quite active on the forum but have been absent lately. Life and work have been very busy. My name is Joel for future reference, hoping to have more time on the forum in the future. 

Reviving this thread, wish  I could go back in time. I made alot of great progress on my swing in 2014, got my handicap all the way down to 7.5, I was probably an 11 or so at the start of 2014. 

Here's what my swing looked like in 2014. As documented in this thread, there was still things to work on but I had a solid foundation to build on. 

2015 started off great, right where I left off in 2014. Slowly though, my swing started getting really out of whack, to the point now where it doesn't look the same at all.

This year my index has continued to climb up, right now I'm a 10.8, up from a low of 7.5 in late 2014. My ballstriking is nowhere near as good. 

I need to get back to what was working for me in 2014. 

I don't have a consistent ball flight at all, 8 iron thru Wedge is straight or maybe a slight fade or draw. 5-7 iron is a real crap shoot, literally could go anywhere. Hybrids and 3W are usually a low fade. Driver is a reliable fade and the best club in my bag. 

I manage OK with 8 thru Wedge off the turf, contact is very inconsistent with other clubs.  I think the main reason for this is my steep downswing plane. 

Here's my current swing. 

Erik, Mac, the other teachers here, what's the most important thing for me to work on given my current swing? I know I move head forward too so the last couple days at the range I've been trying to setup with a little more secondary axis tilt and stay behind the ball but am having very mixed results. Maybe getting my hand path deeper might be the most important? I'm thinking maybe if I fix that, I fix the head movement and the steep shaft with it. Looking at some old swings earlier, it doesn't appear my hands are actually moving out on the downswing any more than they ever were, it's just that because I am so much less deep with my hands, that same hand path isn't going to work with my current swing. If I get my hands deeper like before, am I likely to see a big improvement?

- Joel

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

Any updates?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

54 minutes ago, iacas said:

Any updates?

Not much, no. Started to find "it" towards the end of last season and shot consecutive rounds of 77, 76 and 74.

I'm eager to get back out there this spring and work on things. 

- Joel

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Happy to report I shot a 78(37-41) on Saturday........a couple uncharacteristic mistakes and very slow greens prevented it from being a career round but no sense in dwelling on that. Should be able to get out to the range this week and see what the swing looks like. 

Edited by shortstop20

- Joel

Note: This thread is 2584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!