IGNORED

Reasons why I don't watch the NBA....

mrmiller8
Note: This thread is 5028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I am writing this right in the middle of halftime of the seventh game of the NBA Finals. Supposedly a huge game thats going to be electric to watch and will go down in history of one of the best games in any sport of all time.....thats my preface...

After I got done watching Tiger, Lee, and Ernie finish their round I tuned in. I watch a lot of college basketball and very little NBA and here is why.

#1 - every call in the NBA is argued, someone is whining, crying, or complaining about how it wasn't fair. I can't stand that. The worst part is, the refs let them complain running up and down the court.

#2 - Artest and Paul Peirce got tied underneath the basket after a shot and they exchanged words and then peirce got the tech and clearly by the replay neither one did anything worse than other. The refs got together and were like...well guys who do you want to pin it on...."the lakers are down and not playing well lets give it to peirce and hope artest makes a couple from the stripe I got 3 G's on this game" (just a disclaimer; I really dont think that the NBA is rigged but given its past....)

#3 - With about 30 seconds left to go in the half, I saw Paul Peirce drive to his right and Bynum step up plant his feet and out by the arch. Peirce redirected his route straight towards Bynums chest and ran into him and "tripped" cleary it was in the effort to draw a foul.....It worked.....but its just terrible to watch. For any of you out there that know Paul Peirce is notorius throughout the league of drawing more cheap fouls than anyone by jumping into people and all sorts a whacky shit....

I can't stand this league.

I also know that I dont have to watch it but it just baffles me how far away it is from a PURE sport or game.....

Anyone else have any thoughts or feelings on this????

Driver: R5 XL with Fujikira Stiff Shaft
3Wood: T60 Ignite
Irons: 735 CM with S300 Shafts
56 Degree: Carnoustie Black
60 Degree: Carnoustie BlackPutter: 34" Mini T White IceBall: : WhateverShoes: Icon Snake SkinGolf is the only sport where they encourage drug use and its not illegal,...

stop bitching and do what i do: watch the end of the 3rd quarter and 4th quarter. the theatrics tend to dissipate and it seems that everyone steps up their game.

If you don't watch much NBA basketball and you tuned in to watch game 7 tonight, please do not rate the NBA by this game. It's an atypical, horrible game. The refs are trying so hard to "let them play" that they are just not calling anything. As usual, when this happens, players respond by getting more physical. This generally favors the more physical team (in this case, the Celts). It's particularly sad because the NBA has done such a good job of cleaning up the play of late (especially after the fiasco that was the finals 2 years ago). Oh well....

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

The move that drives me crazy is the pump fake that gets the defender to jump, and then the offensive player jumps into the defender with the foul getting called on the D? Don't see how that makes sense!?!?!

The move that drives me crazy is the pump fake that gets the defender to jump, and then the offensive player jumps into the defender with the foul getting called on the D? Don't see how that makes sense!?!?!

The D should be disciplined not to be faked out..

I made it my Facebook status: The PGA Tour's slogan is "These guys are good", the NBA's should be "These refs are atrocious".

These refs actually did a good job in the first half and the beginning of the second, but the end of the third and the fourth were just terrible. The Lakers got more point off of free throws than they did field goals, and the Celtics couldn't buy a free throw.

If they deem the offensive player to have initiated the contact, they can call it an offensive foul, but they very seldom do that.

#2 - Artest and Paul Peirce got tied underneath the basket after a shot and they exchanged words and then peirce got the tech and clearly by the replay neither one did anything worse than other. The refs got together and were like...well guys who do you want to pin it on...."the lakers are down and not playing well lets give it to peirce and hope artest makes a couple from the stripe I got 3 G's on this game" (just a disclaimer; I really dont think that the NBA is rigged but given its past....)

They actually called the personal foul on Pierce, and technical fouls on both.

#3 - With about 30 seconds left to go in the half, I saw Paul Peirce drive to his right and Bynum step up plant his feet and out by the arch. Peirce redirected his route straight towards Bynums chest and ran into him and "tripped" cleary it was in the effort to draw a foul.....It worked.....but its just terrible to watch. For any of you out there that know Paul Peirce is notorius throughout the league of drawing more cheap fouls than anyone by jumping into people and all sorts a whacky shit....

Pau Gasol is the biggest flopper in the league, and Derick Fischer makes eevry shot look like a foul. It goes both ways.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

stop bitching and do what i do: watch the end of the 3rd quarter and 4th quarter. the theatrics tend to dissipate and it seems that everyone steps up their game.

Good call, dhanson. After a horrible first 3 quarters (meaning it was ugly basketball) the 4th quarter was fan-tastic. I don't know why but I just can't get behind this Celtics team.

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

Your right i don't watch a whole lot NBA ball, but i do watch a lot of basketball and other sports. Maybe it is just a case of the refs being so inconsistent it takes the fun out of the game. I don't think it makes for good TV.....thats all I am saying....

Driver: R5 XL with Fujikira Stiff Shaft
3Wood: T60 Ignite
Irons: 735 CM with S300 Shafts
56 Degree: Carnoustie Black
60 Degree: Carnoustie BlackPutter: 34" Mini T White IceBall: : WhateverShoes: Icon Snake SkinGolf is the only sport where they encourage drug use and its not illegal,...

Your right i don't watch a whole lot NBA ball, but i do watch a lot of basketball and other sports. Maybe it is just a case of the refs being so inconsistent it takes the fun out of the game. I don't think it makes for good TV.....thats all I am saying....

You are right, the first 3 quarters of last night's game was not good TV. I'm much more of an NCAA hoops fan than an NBA fan. It was frustrating that last night's game was called so differently than others (inconsistant) and it's frustrating the way the NBA gives players the "Jordan treatment" (inconsistant).

Have a good weekend.

What's in my bag?

You are right, the first 3 quarters of last night's game was not good TV. I'm much more of an NCAA hoops fan than an NBA fan. It was frustrating that last night's game was called so differently than others (inconsistant) and it's frustrating the way the NBA gives players the "Jordan treatment" (inconsistant).

I actually thought the first 3 quarters were not to bad. I love the tough defensive basketball, and for the most par the refs were letting them play. But in the 4th quarter it was so obviously in the Lakers favor.

Inconsistency is the biggest thing. IMO refs in general call too many ticky-tack foul, and then make too many mistakes on real fouls. There are just too many non calls that are called, and too many fouls called that should be non calls or fouls the other way.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yup. I think if the defender jumps strait up and not into the Offensive player, it should be called charging on the offensive player who jumped into the defender. Now if the defender just into the offensive player, then yes it's a foul.

The D should be disciplined not to be faked out..

That would be ideal, but it's not that easy.

But in the 4th quarter it was so obviously in the Lakers favor.

That's what all my Celtic friends said. Now, I don't care for the Celtics nor the Lakers, so I didn't care which team won.

I thought it was even and even in the sense of your quote below. Both teams got away with some cheap stuff.
Inconsistency is the biggest thing. IMO refs in general call too many ticky-tack foul, and then make too many mistakes on real fouls. There are just too many non calls that are called, and too many fouls called that should be non calls or fouls the other way.

I agree 100%. I see a lot of cheap stuff not get called and then a lot of stupid ones get called. The referees need to be looked at much closer. But David Stern won't let that happen.

I thought the refs did a good job in game 7. They were consistent in letting the teams play physical but calling the real fouls. There were also a couple of great no-calls that proved to be the right call in slow-mo replays, which was great to see (usually, it seems like the refs will call the foul if it's tough to see one way or the other). I think it's the toughest sport to referee - especially the charge versus block calls, and I don't see an easy way to improve it.

That said, I think you guys are not alone in hating the floppers in the league. I hate to see that stuff too. The only time it's ok in my book is when you're drawing a charge, and that's only because the only way to get the call is if you hit the floor.

Anyway, basketball is one of my favorite sports, and there are a ton of great players to watch who don't do any of the flopping or trying to draw cheap fouls. Shaq, Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Ray Allen, heck even the Birdman; all these guys play as pure of basketball as there is, and the list goes on. I agree that a lot of the "superstars" rely on drawing fouls and getting to the line, but I prefer watching great team basketball over watching a guy play 1 v 5 any day of the week.

Watch the Phoenix Suns - that team, in my book, plays the best brand of basketball there is!
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

I think it's the toughest sport to referee - especially the charge versus block calls, and I don't see an easy way to improve it.

Yes it is the toughest sport to referee, but charge/block calls are the easy ones. If the defensive player has his feet set, absorbs obvious contact (ie. doesn't flop), and is outside the restricted area, it's a charge. Otherwise it's a block. I think the part where they do the worst is stupid ticky-tack things and when players go into the paint for lay-ups and dunks and whatnot. There are just a lot of wrong calls.

In my bag:

Yes it is the toughest sport to referee, but charge/block calls are the easy ones. If the defensive player has his feet set, absorbs obvious contact (ie. doesn't flop), and is outside the restricted area, it's a charge. Otherwise it's a block. I think the part where they do the worst is stupid ticky-tack things and when players go into the paint for lay-ups and dunks and whatnot. There are just a lot of wrong calls.

You're understating how difficult it is to tell at full speed whether or not a player set his feet a split second before contact was made. Sure, it's pretty easy to tell in super-slow motion, but it's a really tough call in a live game.

Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

the nba in the past ten years has been little more than glorified street ball. i never watch nba on tv, they don't play defense anymore and don't even try until after the all star game. it's quite sad really. i miss those bulls v. pacers and bulls v. knickerbockers type series. now i couldn't be bothered to watch an nba game, and the only time i do is when one of my buddies with season tickets gives me theirs or invites me along. however, i do love me some college basketball.

the nba in the past ten years has been little more than glorified street ball. i never watch nba on tv, they don't play defense anymore and don't even try until after the all star game. it's quite sad really. i miss those bulls v. pacers and bulls v. knickerbockers type series. now i couldn't be bothered to watch an nba game, and the only time i do is when one of my buddies with season tickets gives me theirs or invites me along. however, i do love me some college basketball.

Did you watch game 7? It was fantastic defense by both teams.

In my bag:

Note: This thread is 5028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!