IGNORED

iphone GPS app for mapping the driving range?

Note: This thread is 4551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for a simple, inexpensive iphone GPS app that will let me map out my local driving range. I need to be able to record 10 to 12 waypoints, label the waypoints, and then display the distance to these waypoints from the tee. Motionx GPS will do alsmost all of this, but it only displays the distances to waypoints in miles or km! Does anybody know of, or have, an app that will do this?

In My Grom:
Driver: Taylormade R1 10.5°
Fairway: Taylormade RocketBallz Stage 2 Tour 14.5°
Hybrids: Ping G25 3, 4
Irons: Mizuno 5-PW JPX 800 Pro

Wedges: CG-14 50°, 56°, 60°

Putter: Nike Method 003

I am looking for a simple, inexpensive iphone GPS app that will let me map out my local driving range. I need to be able to record 10 to 12 waypoints, label the waypoints, and then display the distance to these waypoints from the tee. Motionx GPS will do alsmost all of this, but it only displays the distances to waypoints in miles or km! Does anybody know of, or have, an app that will do this?

have you tried google earth? not sure if they have an ap for the iphone. But I downloaded this to my home pc and looked up a few courses I play. There is a ruler feature that allows you to connect 2 points and calculates distance in yardage. Definately helped me with some yardages that I wanted to know for layup shots before i got my gps unit.

If the range is fairly old I am sure if you plug in the address it should show up on there and should be able to see the markers when you zoom in. then just use the ruler and see how far things are.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

i have given up on trying to determine distances at my club's range since they use limited flight crap range balls. Best to go out on the course with the balls you play and get your distances that way (IMO).

Driver : ping.gifG15 10.5* Serrano Stiff
3W: callaway.gif RAZR 15*
Hybrids : adams.gif A7 19*
4- PW : mizuno.gif MP - 63
Wedges : vokey.gif50*, 54*, 60*Putter: cameron.gif Scotty Newport 2.5Bag: sunmountain.gif 2011 SunMountain C-130

• 1 year later...

I was under the impression that because range balls are normally crap, the marker numbers are artificially increased to compensate?

e.g. using Google Maps for my local range and using the measure tool it says that everything is actually shorter than marked:

Back netting is marked as 250 but is really 220

180 target is actually 150

160 targets are 130

120 target is 110

60 targets are 60

Of course the measure tool could be wrong too as I don't have a laser range finder to check.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Very interesting data, MiniBlue.  I had no idea but its hard to argue with the proof you supplied.  And it makes sense that the closer targets are closer to actual because there probably isn't that big of a distance variation from the ball at 60-100 yards.  Thanks for the insights!

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

I was under the impression that because range balls are normally crap, the marker numbers are artificially increased to compensate?

e.g. using Google Maps for my local range and using the measure tool it says that everything is actually shorter than marked:

160 targets are 130

120 target is 110

60 targets are 60

Of course the measure tool could be wrong too as I don't have a laser range finder to check.

Quote:

160 targets are 130

120 target is 110

60 targets are 60

I just used Google Earth for the driving range I was at yesterday and measured 3 targets I remembered the yardage for - 157, 205 and 270. Measuring from the stall I hit from yesterday Google Earth showed all distances were within 3 yards of what they had posted.

I just used Google Earth to check the distances on a range I usually go to and found the target distances were very close to what they indicate.

But as an aside, I also saw in the Google Earth photo that my car was clearly one of the ones in the parking lot.   Uh oh, I must be going there too much!    Hopefully my boss doesn't check it out and see that I was there in the middle of the day.....

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

160 targets are 130

120 target is 110

60 targets are 60

this is nearly the exact same at my range, 250 is 220 etc

to check the measuring tool all you have to do is measure something you know the distance of, for example i measured the football pitch i played on when i was younger. It was bang on so i trust the tool for courses etc now

Im the same. I ignore the distance I hit the ball at the driving range. All I work on is good contact, good swings and good flight. Actually, I have been to a driving range once in the last 6 months. I prefer to just hit balls (7i and less) at my course driving range. There are marker poles there and I even use my Golf GPS program which has a "measure last shot" option so I use that to get the average if I am hitting past the last marker pole. Its called freecaddiepro and you could great your own course and just add points on your range. You can even update them in real time on the course once you create the points. It may or may not work for this purpose though.

I use Birdi Golf Ranger. It was free but I can't remember if I got it at Amazon or off the Android marketplace. I believe that it simply uses Google maps/earth along with the GPS in your phone to display line of sight yardages. It works great and saves me from buying a rangefinder but I also wonder why the GPS makers like Garmin don't include driving ranges.

David

I agree with Ronbo25. On the course, I use GolfLogix $19.95 GPS. At first, it asked me what club I was hitting for each shot. After several rounds, it suggests the which club I should use based on my average from that distance. It works beautifully. After the round is done, you can see what data it has collected on all the clubs you reported and has many more features. On the course, you have uneven lies, hazards, and so on. It is great knowing your average distances in real situations.

Note: This thread is 4551 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!