IGNORED

Ever Been Almost Hit? Whatd you do?

BostonSully
Note: This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been hit once. We were leaving from the green on a Par 3, a guy the proceeded to tee off and hit me in the back around the shoulder. He didn't yell "Fore", till it hit me. Had to laugh to keep from crying. Hurts pretty bad!!

Cleveland Hibore XLS Driver: Nike Ignite2 Irons: Adams SW and LW: Odyssey White Hot Mallet: Bridgestone e6 and TreoSoft Balls etc...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. . . I picked up the ball, sauntered out to him, which gave me time to get a cooler head, handed it back, and said, "You wait until we're off the green." I mosied back to the green, we putted out, and I went into the pro shop to report the incident.

Clearly that avoided "making a scene".

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Been hit twice, both times I heard the "Fore" before impact. One hit me in the thigh, and the other grazed my back. No big deal. Both guys were in panic mode when they came driving over to me, and I had to laugh to see the looks on both thier faces. Its going to happen sooner or later......... hopefully you all get a fair warning so you can cover up. :)

I played yesterday and nearly got nailed. The guy I was playing with was about 100 yards away and never yelled fore and it was about 4 feet from nailing me. Luckily it wasn't any closer because I turned around at the time it would have nailed my face. It kind of pissed me off because I have hemophilia and my medication is not cheap.

Have been hit multiple times. Twice in the face requiring stitches, but those were freak accidents. Usually when I'm playing it doesn't bother me too much if a ball lands near me unless it is obvious they are really dumb or hitting into me on purpose. I've been on par 5 greens before and had balls roll up next to me. Usually I'll mark it if it's in the way then when he comes up say "hey nice shot buddy" no need for hostility. Within reason I think it can be excused.

Fore!

Well, you got to realize this, you're on a golf course. Everyone there is attempting to hit a little bouncing rock lengths of multiple football fields away. There are risks of being hit. I understand there are safety rules and such, but things happen. That being said, I've had several close calls where I have doven out of the way and my hat taken off once (that made me stop and sit down for a second). I've also hit into groups by accident a few times (although it's usually on a par 5 and I'd roll up from 30 away, not drop right in on it dangerously.

Anyways, I've seen some pretty rash reactions. I've had partners smack the ball away, yell at the other group and do some crazy dance and dunk it in the drink and make an ass of themselves. That's just too much. accidents happen and the best way to prevent it form happening again is to just tell the other group that was dangerous and wait longer and be safer. Multiple times, something needs to be done, but the rare occasion doens't require a monkey dance. A little class goes a long way.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been hit once. We were leaving from the green on a Par 3, a guy the proceeded to tee off and hit me in the back around the shoulder. He didn't yell "Fore", till it hit me. Had to laugh to keep from crying. Hurts pretty bad!!

The only time I have ever been hit was on a par 3 in Radford. I saw it coming and did my little hip move to try to avoid it. It grazed my side and didn't hurt.

In my sack:

Driver: VR STR-8 Fit Tour 10.5 VooDoo stiff
3 wood: 909F2 13.5* stiff Diamana
Hybrid: Rescue 19* stiff3-6: MP 52 S3007-PW: MP 62 S300Wedges: 54-12, 58-8Putter: Newport 2 TeI3

We had a guy in our golf association who was a total tuff guy & jerk. We had a blind pick tournament one weekend and we ended up with him as the no#3 player. He drove into the group ahead once and said : "that will move them along". We warned him to not to do it again. He was getting ready to do it again on the back nine, and I hollered at him to stop. He totally freaked out and started cussing me and telling me to mind my own business. Our no#1 player was a Navy Seal who was as nice a guy you could ever meet. He unstrapped the guys bag from the cart and pointed him towards the clubhouse. I thought there was going to be a fight, but the bully realized who he was dealing with and wimpered off.

Worst feeling of my life: Last year was my first year of golf. So I was bad. Really bad. like 75 on a par 36 9 hole bad.

Anyways on the 2nd hole (570 par 5; straight as an arrow but from 40 yards out there's a 15 yard drop to the green) I'm playing from about 170 out. I knew there was a foursome in front of me, but they were all pretty decent and me being a hacker made me believe that there was no way that I'd ever hit into them, especially since it routinely took me 7 shots to get to the green on that particular hole anyways.

Like I was saying, 170 yards out, I couldn't hit my woods off the deck to save my soul (or my 3I) so I took out my 4I. I was kinda waiting just to make sure and I hit the cleanest shot of the year for me. Perfectly straight well struck mishit (since I couldn't do that again if I tried that year) that bounced twice and hit a younger guy in the back. I went up and apologized profusely and they just laughed it off and said it probably would've rolled into the hole if they weren't in the way.

On a related note, I've *almost* been hit twice. Once was just as I was heading to my cart putting things away on the 18th; the twosome behind us hit one that ended up fading about 10 yards right of the right edge of the green (about 25 from the pin) from about 185 out. Heard FORE; ducked into the cart quick and landed about 5 feet from us so no harm done.

Other time was on the aforementioned par 5; we were just about to tee off when a younger kid crushed one 30 yards past the green and landed 15 feet away and rolled to about 3 feet. Probably one of the first times that they played that hole and didn't realize how far it actually carried over the ridge there.

This poses an unfortunate conundrum for me. Sometimes, I'll be on a hole where I can drive the green if I hit it well, but I know the odds of me doing that are minuscule. The problem is, I always wait just to be safe and it makes me look stupid if I hit a sub-par shot after making everyone wait.

I got hit once as I was leaving a par 3. I guess the guys on the tee were a little antsy and hit before I had completely cleared and it caught me on the back of my shoulder. Hurt pretty bad. I don't think I would have minded as much if the guy had expressed any remorse about it but I never heard anything from him. Have been hit into in the fairway a couple times, had the ball roll up a couple feet behind me as I was playing.

Seriously, what is the point? I'm not standing in the way for the hell of it. I walk 18 in a little under 3.5 hours. I have never held anyone up unless someone in front is holding me up. But some people don't get it.

Never hit anyone but have pulled the occasional approach or sliced the occasional drive near somebody. It's a horrible feeling for me if I see my ball going anywhere near someone so I guess I don't really understand why some people hit into others on purpose.

been hit into many times. Usually on blind tee shots never actually was hit until last weekend. Was setting up to my ball and i hear a ball bounce i stand up and turn toward my playing partner and the ball hits me in the shoulder. Had it been aa nice ball i would have kept it but it was a top flight and i was angry so i hit it with my 2h into the water hazard on the hole to our side.

We had just tee'd off when they rolled up and my partner hit his ball and i was getting ready to hit mine. Probably 2-3 minutes after we left the tee box.

Gibson Bay Golf Course

About a month ago I was playing with my dad, brother and brother in law and we had a slow group in front of us and a twosome behind us that we were keeping ahead of but we finally decided to let them play through when they caught us. We teed off and then when they got up to the tee we waved them through. I decided that since we had a few minutes to wait I'd water the weeds off the side of the fairway and had just made a joke that it would suck to get hit while taking a leak. Well not two minutes later a ball went whizzing (no pun intended) right by my face. I thought one my partners jokingly threw a ball by me but it was one of the kids drives that we let play through. I got lucky on that one but it scared the piss out of me

I've never been hit on the golf course. I've only been once. My car did take a hit while driving by one. I seen it out of the corner of my eye coming across about knee high. I braked but it whacked it pretty good ahead of the wheel. It was a POS Chevy Berretta that I picked up for $500 that already had taken hits from a deer and been scraped up by an overzealous fire truck. If it would have been a nice vehicle, I think I would have waited just to see who would own up on the errant shot.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

I had a fun near miss yesterday.

I was on the green putting out on a 320 yard Par 4 when, out of nowhere, a ball whizzed through the air, landed not 10 feet from me and took a giant hard bounce over the green into some shrubbery.

It had come from the tee, where a young guy gave me an apologetic wave.

On the next tee he apologized, said he was trying to hit it into a green side bunker but could see by the way it was drawing that it was not going to hit us.

I wasn't mad, more impressed that a guy could land a ball on that green from distance.

I have been hit twice, both at my club, so you know the guys pretty well. Once it was a slice from the other fairway, heard four and got hit on the bounce. It was good for a round of drinks afterwards (;

the second time a guy in our foursome, missed a put an backhanded the ball off the green, he caught it thin and I happened to be in the way and it caught me dead center in the shin, going far faster then anyone would expect. We laughed about it, and still give the guy a hard time. It not really a hot head and is pretty embaressed when it is brought up.
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

New one. On the first hole my foursome was watchin our buddy hit his 2nd shot on a par 4 380yd, we were about 10yds forward of him and 20 to the left. We'll he duff hooked the crap out of that ball because it came flying at us like a bat out hell going full speed, only completely sideways haha. Luckily we were standing behind our bags and the ball just crushed into the bag making a huge noise ( I think it hit my buddy's irons).

Gave us all a real good scare then we of course, gave him guff the rest of the game, shrieking/running away when he hits haha gotta love beer league.
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

on the backside of my course there is a par 4 (#14) with a blind tee shot down over a hill. #15 turns around and comes right back along side that hole. i was on #15 hooked my drive into the rough between the two holes. i pull out a club and am standing behind my ball setting up when i hear of someone teeing off on the on #14. my first thought was, what are the odds of being hit. just then a low line drive ball comes screaming over the top of the hill and hits the shaft of my 8 iron which i'm holding in front of me. had it missed the shaft it would have hit me right between the legs. yikes.

R9 Driver and 17* 4 wood
mizuno.gif MX-23 (5-PW)
CG16 52*, 58*

White Ice #7

Note: This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!