IGNORED

Ohio State vs. Michigan

Brendon
Note: This thread is 4900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Ohio State vs. Michigan

• Ohio State
    • Michigan

OSU all the way. I was born at Riverside and bleed Scarlet & Gray.

For those who doubt this is one of the best rivalries in sports, if not the best: Exhibit A Exhibit B Exhibit C (Note that this is best CURRENT rivalries in NCAAF) Exhibit D (Not a numbered rating but good facts as to why it is as such) Exhibit E and Exhibit E1 Exhibit F (even though listed as #4 the proof is in the pudding. "Once the greatest rivalry in all of college football (and all of sports, for that matter)" ) For the Tressel haters: Use the facts. Plus, I never understood why getting to the game and losing is worse than not even making it. Everyone who talkes about how the Bucks can't win a NC game roots for a team who never had a shot. Oh well, jealousy will ensue. :) Best active coaches.
"Jim Tressel, Ohio State. Don't let Jimbo's sexy sweater vests fool you into thinking this guy can't coach, because you would be so far from the truth. Jim Tressel has led OSU to one National Championship title (went to three total), six Big Ten conference titles and an appearance in a total of 7 BCS bowl games. Not too shabby, is it?"

For those of you debating longevity/worth of the rivalry: Here's a list. Only 27 out of the 117 on that list are older yet none more historically relevant. Until the Rich Rod debacle...I mean era, OSU and Michigan have been powerhouses who possibly, and on more than one occasion, would have played in the NC game against each other if in different conferences. Nobody can deny "The Game of the Century" as being worthy of the title and the true NC game that year. For those who doubt the atmosphere/tail gating/fans: Top gameday experiences. And yes, we put 100,000+ fans in the stadium rain, snow, or shine. Let's see the "SEC faithful" do that. I don't even bring a hoodie to a game unless it's under 60 and a coat if it's under 50. Some experts from here.
"There's three I'd have to put up there: Michigan Ohio State Nebraska I've lived in Ohio for a while and almost everybody in Ohio talks all year about the Michigan vs Ohio State game. I mean ALL year long! I also lived in Texas for a while and the Texans talk about their rivalry with Texas A&M;, but their fans don't get nearly as fired up as the Michigan and OSU fans. Plus Michigan and OSU have two of the biggest college football stadiums in the country. Some might put up teams like Alabama and Florida, but I've noticed they are more fair weather fans. They are there when the team is winning, but some of them kind of disappear when the teams aren't doing so well. OSU and Michigan pack the stadiums even when they have bad seasons. Plus the fans have to brave the cold to watch many of the games, unlike the teams in the south like Alabama and Florida and Texas. I don't think you'd see them packing the stadiums quite so easily in a cold climate.'

"I hate Ohio State but here goes -- during the post-season bowl selections and the discussions about who will be invited where, what team a particular bowl committee wants to invite knowing their fans will fill the stadium, one name always comes up consistently as having fans who will go just about anywhere to watch their team play and that team is the Buckeyes."

"Ohio state has a crazy amount of football nuts on campus.. a few years ago (i think 3) they had a sold out crowd at a game that was 6 inches deep in snow! if that's not devoted than I don't know what is."

That's right. We'll pack one of the countries largest stadiums no matter what. So will other some Big Ten schools. Granted, these are all opinions of posters, but I feel they're valid statements.

I understand that if you've never lived here you've never experienced it. I've never lived in NY or Boston, Alabama or Auburn, etc, so I can't vouch for those. All I can go off of is what friends/fam that have lived or were raised in such places tell me. They all agree that in their respective locale local rivalries are huge but nothing, at least in NCAAF, compares to OSU vs. UM. Sorry. That's just the facts. :) I mean serisoulsy, what other rivalry is between 2 of the greatest college football teams of all time? More reading: OSU and UM have larger stadiums than other rivalries proving the demand and fan base is larger. The Horseshoe listed as number one stadium and mentions the fact that it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
"Ohio State's-- Ohio Stadium. One of college football's most recognizable stadiums aka,The Horseshoe, tops out at 102,329 seats. If you have never been to an OSU game in Columbus you must do so at some point in life. Ohio State shows you exactly what Big Ten football is all about with a fan base all over the country. Hope you have a red shirt because every OSU fan in the stadium will be wearing red also. University of Michigan's-- Michigan Stadium. If you love tradition and everything college has to offer, visiting Michigan Stadium or, The Big House, should be a priority on your list of things to do. After new renovations The Big House will seat over 108,000 fans and house 83 suites and an extra 3,200 club seats that are extra wide and give more leg room. Don't forget your ear plugs because Michigan fans love to get loud and will shake the seat you sit in!"

I know the vast majority of people on here are more interested in golf but I'm the exact opposite. I doubt everyone will even read all of this. I guess all I can say is...

Haha. :)

9.5* Driver
3 Wood
21* 4 Hybrid
5-PW
Zebra 60* SW G-Force Putter

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OSU/Michigan is far more than two schools playing each other... it stemmed from the border war when they two fought over Toledo.

Who won ....... ?

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

And yes, we put 100,000+ fans in the stadium rain, snow, or shine. Let's see the "SEC faithful" do that. I don't even bring a hoodie to a game unless it's under 60 and a coat if it's under 50.

We in the SEC do it every week (UT 100+k, UGA 99,000)! And while we have the occasional snow, we have Southern summer games where it is 100 degrees. While we play lots of games in below 50's, you can only take off so much for those scorchers!

BTW - one of those polls had Utah vs BYU as #2...Any rivalry that doesnt even allow caffinated drinks in the stadium automatically out!

We got most of the U.P. for giving up Toledo. Have you been to Toledo lately? More "M" flags fly then "O" flags off porches. I lived in Findlay and it was about 50/50. My OSU friends in Dayton say "we got robbed". lol

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

We in the SEC do it every week (UT 100+k, UGA 99,000)! And while we have the occasional snow, we have Southern summer games where it is 100 degrees. While we play lots of games in below 50's, you can only take off so much for those scorchers!

LOL. Agree with Utah and BYU.

As for the stadium seating? Big Ten > SEC That's just if we're looking at numbers though. If we're talking tailgating I'd still bet that OSU would have a bigger showing in 100 degree heat and 25 degrees with snow. :)

9.5* Driver
3 Wood
21* 4 Hybrid
5-PW

We got most of the U.P. for giving up Toledo. Have you been to Toledo lately? More "M" flags fly then "O" flags off porches. I lived in Findlay and it was about 50/50. My OSU friends in Dayton say "we got robbed". lol

My sister-in-law attends UT. She says it's big up there. As far as I'm concerned you can have it back and we'll give it to Canada with the rest of Michigan as soon as I can get the paperwork pushed through. LOL :)

9.5* Driver
3 Wood
21* 4 Hybrid
5-PW

• 2 months later...
BUCKEYES

callaway.gif   FT-i driver,  FT 4-wood,  X Utility Prototype 18* hybrid-iron / Big Bertha Diablo 3 & 4  hybrids

Tour Preferred CB 5-PW irons

callaway.gif   X-Forged 52*, X-Forged 56*/58*, X-Forged 64*  wedges  

Daddy Long Legs (38'') putter

:nike:RZN Platinum ball

And as a side note, why do people who just live in Michigan or OSU like those teams? Isn't that more of a pro sports thing? I think Red Sox v Yankess is bigger because they are (arguably) the two most liked and more hated baseball teams in the world.

Definately agree, in terms of championships, postseason implications and pure hatred of the team and fans I have to agree that the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is the best in sports.

Go purdue!

HaHa my man..gotta love those Boilermakers. Good win tonight over SIU, fortunately we were able to overcome an awful start and move to 5-0.

Next up is the Bucket Game, man do I wish I was gonna be back in West LaLa tomorrow to tailgate.
taylormade.gif -- > R9 9.5* Fujikura Motore F1 -- > R9 15* Fujikura Motore ][ callaway.gif -- > X-20 Steel 3-PW ][ cleveland.gif -- > CG-14 Black Pearl 60*
titleist.gif -- > Spin Milled 56* , 52* -- > Studio Select Newport 2- -- > Pro-V1 ][ BBGPSGOLF for GPS on my Blackberry
Home Course: http://whitneyfarmsgc.com/ Connecticut

"Occasional snow"? I went to play in the Sand Hills last February in NC. The state shut done when it "snowed" over night. Less than an inch total. Called the course and the Pro said he's the only one that made it in and they shut down for the day. It had all melted by 11:00 AM. Have you ever heard of the Snow Bowl? Don't talk to us about snow. Haha.

And when it's 100 there it.s .000975547% humidity. When it's 85 here it's 975,547% humidity with a heat index of over 100 degrees. Nice try though.

I've been to Toledo plenty. I'd give it back. That's where the Hot Dog water smell starts. Nasty. Of course I'm willing to trade Michigan to Toledo for a horse and a bottle of maple syrup.

9.5* Driver
3 Wood
21* 4 Hybrid
5-PW

Note: This thread is 4900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!