IGNORED

Natural draw vs fade vs straight shot shape

Note: This thread is 4868 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After working on my swing, really trying to hit the ball more from an inside swing path this whole summer, i've noticed i've developed a small "natural" draw, starts right and ends up to where i'm targeting. I sometimes even get complimented on the course......but with my prevous flawed swing i would pretty much hit it dead straight. I read many posts where people talk about their natural shot shape, i.e. draw or fade or just plain straight and I've come to wonder if one specific shot shape is more desirable than another and is one more "correct" than another? If we assume there's a correct way to impact the ball (hands ahead of club face, from an inside path, etc.), than should your natural shot shape be more one or the other?

Curious.......................

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

I don't think there is a "correct" shape. Few golfers of any skill hit dead straight. Almost everyone tends to either draw or fade.

Since you have a draw, ideally you should aim towards the right of the fairway. Let the ball spin and direction carry you towards the middle of the fairway.

HiBore 10.5 driver
GT-500 3- and 5-woods
Bazooka JMax 4 Iron Wood
Big Bertha 2008 irons (4 and 5 i-brids, 6i-9i,PW)
Tom Watson 56 SW Two-Ball putter

It nice to be able to hit all three shots. draw or fade for tuck pins, draw for more distance and high fade for stopping around hard greens and more control on drives. If you analysis what the top players play as their natural shots and how many times they have won you might come to a conclusion on what is the preferred shot, but the course that they play becomes another factor and I guess thats why golf is so interesting and challenging.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

It nice to be able to hit all three shots. draw or fade for tuck pins, draw for more distance and high fade for stopping around hard greens and more control on drives. If you analysis what the top players play as their natural shots and how many times they have won you might come to a conclusion on what is the preferred shot, but the course that they play becomes another factor and I guess thats why golf is so interesting and challenging.

I can't agree more. I find it almost impossible to hit it straight anymore, LOL, I am always trying to work it left to right mainly and then right to left when needed. I am much more accurate trying to fade one in there rather than hitting it straight.

3 Wood-Dynacraft Avatar XMOI w/Apollo FW Shadow
2/3 Hybrid-Power Play 5000 w/True Ace Red Storm Hybrid
4-PW Power Play System Q2 w/S Apollo Spectre Lite Steel
50*/54*/58*-Acer XB Satin w/S Apollo Spectre Lite Steel
Putter-Nike BC101Ball-Top Flite Gamer V2

I think many people typically slice/fade and have problems drawing the ball, thus the compliments?

What I noticed about good players is how piercing their ball flight is, draw or fade.

My ball flight, the ball seems more to shoot up instead of coming out low and piercing. I always wonder if there's an optimal natural ball flight.

I've read that it medium high is desirable, but I've never been able to get low and piercing, I guess I just don't compress the ball enough or my swingspeed isn't high enough?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Both shot shapes are equal, neither is more correct than the other, if you can repeat the same shot shape everytime then golf becomes much easier

Although in my opinion, a gentle draw is a much prettier shot than a fade (probably because im incapable of a draw)

G15 9* TFC 149D Stiff
R9 15* Fujikura Motore Regular
MP-57 3-PW
52*
Z TP 60* black series tour designs #2 34" Prov1 stratus stand bag

There's no right or wrong, Nicklaus hit a fade. The vast majority of "good" players I've played with, however, hit a draw. Those same players, many times, wish they could hit a fade because it generally lands softer.

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

My ball flight, the ball seems more to shoot up instead of coming out low and piercing. I always wonder if there's an optimal natural ball flight.

Meant to say - I always wonder if there's an optimal natural ball flight *height*.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 months later...

I have been told I have a natural draw. Not sure but it does always go to the left of where I am aiming. Do I need to worry about type of clubs I use? Just got a 10.5 reg flex driver.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Greg Norman was well-known for hitting a high dead straight shot.  While pros usually have a preference, I think most golfers underestimate just how gentle of a curve most pros' shots really are.  The ball is hit farther and in the air so long that it's more like the ball is drifting in a particular direction rather than curving.

Note: This thread is 4868 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!