IGNORED

Comprehensive Camera for Filming your Golf Swing Thread

Harmonious
Note: This thread is 3239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I finally broke down and purchased a casio fc150 off of ebay. Hopefully this will be a good camera for me. Any body know anything about it?

Hopefully I'm better tomorrow

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by poser

I've had the casio before great camera but, they are so expensive because of the limited quantity.  I picked up a canon elph 300 HS it does 120 and 240fps and I honestly think it beats the casio fc 100 my freind has.  Also it can be picked up at bestbuy for 180 bucks.

Hi

Would you still recommend this camera ? Its been over a year since you posted . I'm planning on using this and then exporting it to my Daughters Ipad. I just downloaded a free swing program called , Ubersense for using with her Ipad.  I have to make sure I can transfer what I record to her Ipad. I'm horrible with Technology so I better check before I buy the camera. I hate to buy this and find out I can't transfer it to her Ipad.

Thanks

Ralph

JVC launched this earlier this year.  F1.2 means it gather a lot of light in low light situations.  I have no idea if it is any good and it is pricey!

http://newsroom.jvc.com/press-releases/camcorder/new-flagship-jvc-camera-designed-to-capture-fast-moving-action/

• Administrator
Originally Posted by inthecup

JVC launched this earlier this year.  F1.2 means it gather a lot of light in low light situations.  I have no idea if it is any good and it is pricey!

http://newsroom.jvc.com/press-releases/camcorder/new-flagship-jvc-camera-designed-to-capture-fast-moving-action/

Yeah, I looked into that one too. No manual shutter speed in the higher framerate modes. :(

And the high speed resolutions weren't all that great either.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Yeah, I looked into that one too. No manual shutter speed in the higher framerate modes. :(

And the high speed resolutions weren't all that great either.

I didn't dig that deep, sometimes I don't know what they are thinking.  I am lucky I have a Casio EX-FH100, it was miss placed for a week and I was seriously bummed because I know it was impossible to replace.  The the Casio I can get indoor video at 120 fps, it may be under exposed but it is usable.

• 1 month later...

All,

I'm sure I'm going to get sent to my room for this post, but I've been poring through these forums and about 15 different websites for nearly 2 hours and my head is spinning. I'm trying to determine whether or not I want to buy a Casio Exilim HS EX-Z300 or a GoPro Silver edition to start finally filming my swing . It seems I can get each for around $225.

What would everyone recommend? Also, how much ancillary equipment (tripods, mounts, memory cards, etc.) would I need for each and need to pay? Can I stay under $300?

Thanks

Found a Casio Exilim FC200s for a good price. Casio website says it's the "ultimate golfing camera". I guess that's because it does 240 fps at 512x348. However, how do I know if I can manually adjust the shutter speed as so many people here say is important? Reading the specs, all I see for "Shutter Type" is "Auto up to 1/2000." Does that mean it's notmanual. Is anyone familiar with this model? I know nothing about cameras, but I hope to buy one that is useful. Thanks

I have the go pro hero 3 silver edition I think 120 FPS or so at wvga which is 800x480. So not that great as far as frame size goes check out some videos on you tube lots of people have done them with go pros. I am going to try one using mine in member swings probably next week. Other then that my canon rebel eos T3i only goes to 60fps but I can make that camera my bi@tch with custom apertures and shutter speeds but your looking at almost $1000 as well.

"Don't always believe quotes you read on the internet, they might be fake." Abraham Lincoln :tmade: RBZ 8.5 Driver _ :touredge: 52* 56* 60* wedges _ :nike: MOJO Ball :tmade: RBZ Stage 2: #3 hybrid _ :adams: #5 & #6 hybrid :tmade: RBZ Irons _ :odyssey: White hot #3 blade putter :nike: Lunar Control Shoe _ :golflogix: For iPhone

• Administrator

I'd probably recommend a Casio over the GoPro models simply because you can more easily watch your swing playback on the device, can trim, and because it's not a massive wide angle like the GoPro.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd probably recommend a Casio over the GoPro models simply because you can more easily watch your swing playback on the device, can trim, and because it's not a massive wide angle like the GoPro.

I agree big time. I totally forgot how wide my angle is on that thing. Good point.

"Don't always believe quotes you read on the internet, they might be fake." Abraham Lincoln :tmade: RBZ 8.5 Driver _ :touredge: 52* 56* 60* wedges _ :nike: MOJO Ball :tmade: RBZ Stage 2: #3 hybrid _ :adams: #5 & #6 hybrid :tmade: RBZ Irons _ :odyssey: White hot #3 blade putter :nike: Lunar Control Shoe _ :golflogix: For iPhone

• 1 month later...

I've just seen a swing sequence posted on a blog that apparently was filmed with an ipad and the Swing Plane app. The quality looked very good. The driver shaft was clear at impact, and the swing in question was a long drive swing - so not slow! My Panasonic digital camcorder doesn't produce results anything like that. Is an ipad a decent alternative to a Casio for swing analysis?

I've just seen a swing sequence posted on a blog that apparently was filmed with an ipad and the Swing Plane app. The quality looked very good. The driver shaft was clear at impact, and the swing in question was a long drive swing - so not slow! My Panasonic digital camcorder doesn't produce results anything like that. Is an ipad a decent alternative to a Casio for swing analysis?

Link to the video/blog?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

On the assumption that there's no rule here about links to other instructor sites/blogs - http://montescheinblum.wordpress.com/2013/09/03/long-drive-swing-sequence/

I have a Panasonic digital camcorder with a sports setting, and with a separate manual control of shutter speed. It doesn't capture the club through impact with anything like the clarity shown on the link.

The good news is, I do have an ipad lying about. I've just never considered that it would be that useful for filming my swing. Maybe an (old model) Casio would be better in some ways. But the new models don't seem as good, and I'm not ready to pay hundreds for a second hand digital camera with no warranty.

Would be good to hear more about what the ipad and one or other apps is capable of - but it looks promising.

Been following the Apple iPhone 5S updates and just said that it can record slo-mo videos at 720p HD at 120fps.

Quote:
From Wired.com:
The camera also has a slo-mo mode. We see a slo-mo video of someone flipping into a pool. It captures 720p HD video at 120 fps. Normal video is 30 fps. You can select what part you want to be slow motion in the video and it looks completely natural, with no loss of quality, Schiller says.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

• 8 months later...

I'll just post here instead of starting a new thread...

I've decided I want to get a new camera to record my swing, however, I'm going to end up getting it from Best Buy as I have some gift cards to there and they don't carry the Casio cameras; so, my question is, what's a good alternative to the Casio line that I might be able to find at Best Buy? Does anybody know if Nikon or Canon make anything that would do the job nicely?

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I'll just post here instead of starting a new thread...

I've decided I want to get a new camera to record my swing, however, I'm going to end up getting it from Best Buy as I have some gift cards to there and they don't carry the Casio cameras; so, my question is, what's a good alternative to the Casio line that I might be able to find at Best Buy? Does anybody know if Nikon or Canon make anything that would do the job nicely?

The Nikon J1 will do the job. Has a mode for 400fps but only runs for a few seconds and has a really strange aspect ratio. You can get this at Best Buy. I used it for a few months and it was pretty good.

Michael

The Nikon J1 will do the job. Has a mode for 400fps but only runs for a few seconds and has a really strange aspect ratio. You can get this at Best Buy. I used it for a few months and it was pretty good.

Can you control the shutter speed? That's something that I want to be able to do, otherwise, what I have works just fine.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Can you control the shutter speed? That's something that I want to be able to do, otherwise, what I have works just fine.

Yes. It can be set manually. On a bright day you can set it at an exposure time of 2500 and it still looks great.

Michael

Note: This thread is 3239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!