IGNORED

When will you play @ Pebble Beach?

nearwater
Note: This thread is 4930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Never. Not at the price they charge.

Amen. I can't fathom how wealthy I would have to be to spend $500 for a round and still enjoy myself. I've driven around it, and I'd love to play, but the price just makes me lose interest. I am planning on playing Dove Mountain sometime this summer for around $45.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play 100 rounds a year, more or less. If I play 90 rounds one year, I can save enough to play Pebble. I played it once, three or four years ago. It was raining off and on, cold, I was stuck with a dick in our foursome, and I played like crap. I really do want to play again and am saving up!

Meanwhile, I am playing Spyglass at the end of the month...for free!

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Probably never and I'll be okay with that.

I've played Spyglass and Bandon Dunes and those courses are nothing to sneeze at.

The price is just absolutely ridiculous. It shouldn't be called public, really.

What is it, $400+ for the green fee and how much for a night at the hotel, $500?

$1k will get you 10 rounds at some very good courses.

The only way I'll play is if there's no lodging requirement and the green fee is say, $125.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would love to play Pebble, but I seriously doubt I ever will. If I was going to spend that kind of money on a round, I would save more and play St. Andrews.

In my stand Bag

Driver: R7 Limited TP
3 Wood: R9
Irons: Rac TP MB - (3-pw)Wedges: Rac TP z - 52*, 56*, 60*Putter: Black Series #1

What is it, $400+ for the green fee and how much for a night at the hotel, $500?

I could be wrong but it is my understanding that they are more flexible with the lodging thing than they were in the past.

Unless somebody else is paying, probably never. No round of golf is worth $500+ dollars, IMO. The only exception i might make is for the Old Course.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I could be wrong but it is my understanding that they are more flexible with the lodging thing than they were in the past.

Correct. I receive emails from the NCGA every so often with specials for Pebble, Spyglass, Spanish, etc. where you don't have to stay at The Lodge to play. I get these mostly during the "off-season" of winter, and its usually for the old rate of $350. Luckily here in CA we can still play in winter, just have to risk it with the weather because I don't believe they offer rainchecks. Was down there some years back eating at the Beach Club for some occassion, had been raining all day, look out the window to the 17th green and saw multiple groups coming through with caddies in tow while it was dumping pretty good.

For those that say it's too expensive, would you play it for $350 on the chance you caught a beautiful day that time of year? If you plan it out and actually think about saving up for it, I promise any doubt you have about paying that much will go right out the door once you step foot on the property with intentions of playing and not just as an observer. There's something about the Monterey Peninsula when you are there to play and not for sightseeing. It will put butterflies in your stomach on the drive in and that, along with the lasting memories, is surely worth not buying that new driver this year.

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

For those that say it's too expensive, would you play it for $350 on the chance you caught a beautiful day that time of year? If you plan it out and actually think about saving up for it, I promise any doubt you have about paying that much will go right out the door once you step foot on the property with intentions of playing and not just as an observer. There's something about the Monterey Peninsula when you are there to play and not for sightseeing. It will put butterflies in your stomach on the drive in and that, along with the lasting memories, is surely worth not buying that new driver this year.

Still wouldn't play it at $350. To me, no round of golf is worth that much money.

I'll pay $15 to play the 8th alone.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'd pay a twilight rate if they had one. To be out there at sunset would be pretty nice.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'd pay a twilight rate if they had one. To be out there at sunset would be pretty nice.

They'd probably charge you an extra $50 for that privilege.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

They'd probably charge you an extra $50 for that privilege.

LOL - no kidding. They could call it "The Saturday Evening at the US Open Experience".

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

After getting the round-trip coast-to-coast plane ticket, I'd have to fork over another $500. I'll just go play Bethpage and get my ass kicked there instead.

-Rich

After getting the round-trip coast-to-coast plane ticket, I'd have to fork over another $500. I'll just go play Bethpage and get my ass kicked there instead.

And there's a toll to get into the 16 mile drive or whatever it's called. $20 for the privilege.

Steve

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I guess I'm fantasizing too much about that course, 'cause I've never thought that $500 is too much for a course like that.
Not that I'm rich or anything, but some people spend $500 or more for a few laps in an exotic sports car.
I'm a car guy myself and I thought $500 for a wondering golfing experience(which takes 4.5 hrs) is way more worth the money.
Just my $0.02 :)

Dan

In my Revolver bag:

| Driver | Burner 460 9.5°
| Wood | Burner Plus 3 wood
| Hybrid | 22° Rescue Dual| Irons | MX-300 / Grads| Wedge | Spin milled 54°, 60°| Putter | Studio Newport 2.5 35"| Balls | NXT, Pro V1x DDH SF Tour, Pinnacle logo overruns :)

And there's a toll to get into the 16 mile drive or whatever it's called. $20 for the privilege.

It's 17 mile drive, even though thats only about 9 miles of it. And your $20 is taken off your green fee.

sunmountain.gif C-130 Cart Bag: titleist.gif 910D2 10.5Deg   taylormade.gif R9 15Deg, Burner Superfast 5W/7W   mizuno.gif MP-57 5-PW
scratch.gif 54*ds, 58*ds    cameron.gif Red X2    callaway.gifTour iZ

Note: This thread is 4930 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!