IGNORED

Rules dilemma

Ignorant
Note: This thread is 4960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is it allowed to take pictures of greens with a camera / mobile phone day before a competition and then study the pictures eg. before the approach shot?

Yes, I think you're fine as long as it was done before the round starts.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Is it allowed to take pictures of greens with a camera / mobile phone day before a competition and then study the pictures eg. before the approach shot?

You gotta be kidding right? Scroll though your cell phone before your approach shots? Is that before or after you check your GPS?

Why would you want people to think that you are insane?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I guess you get the picture.

While taking the pictures is not a breach of any rule, if you delay play because of your picture book, then you could be subject to a penalty. I know that I'd be seriously pissed off if I had to stand around and watch you page through a picture book before every approach shot.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Additionally, as your phone might have an application on it which can tell you things like the weather (wind direction and strength), it's best to avoid using it during any sort of competition.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So what's the difference between this and checking a yardage book with notes, etc prior to making the approach shot. See the pros do it constantly.

Mark Boyd of the Clan Boyd
"Retired in my Dreams"

• Administrator
So what's the difference between this and checking a yardage book with notes, etc prior to making the approach shot. See the pros do it constantly.

Per my post, for one, it's on a phone, many of which are capable of doing things like telling you the weather...

OP: why not just print the pictures and look at them in a printed yardage book?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Cool idea Eric. Picture guide. You could write yardages on the photo.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Per my post, for one, it's on a phone, many of which are capable of doing things like telling you the weather...

This issue came up in a Professional competition and it was addressed to one of the Rules Officials. As the answer was a bit vague it created some discussion amongst people involved and around. Printing the pictures is fine, as making other notes on paper but as the technology is offering us more and more it will be reality to answer these kinds of questions.

Think of taking videos of the greens while rolling balls on it to see how they behave on the green and using this information during the competition round. Would that be ok (if we now forget Rule 6-7 and assume player is watching the videos while others are playing their balls)? I think it is an interesting issue altogether.

This issue came up in a Professional competition and it was addressed to one of the Rules Officials. As the answer was a bit vague it created some discussion amongst people involved and around. Printing the pictures is fine, as making other notes on paper but as the technology is offering us more and more it will be reality to answer these kinds of questions.

At that point, I think you're probably on the wrong side of the rules. Remember that even GPS and rangefinders require a special exemption and local rule to make them legal. Watching video during the round, particularly video that is showing you detailed information about the course conditions, does not strike me as something that would be permitted. And that's not to enter into the practical question of how you cue it up and watch it without unduly delaying play.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Think of taking videos of the greens while rolling balls on it to see how they behave on the green and using this information during the competition round. Would that be ok (if we now forget Rule 6-7 and assume player is watching the videos while others are playing their balls)? I think it is an interesting issue altogether.

No. That takes the use of this technology too far.

At the current time, the USGA allows cell phone GPS apps under the local rule for distance measuring devices. However, if abuse of the rule by using other prohibited apps or information becomes a problem I would expect to see quick 180 on this policy. It is far too easy to cheat when all you have to do is just switch back and forth from one app to another. This is the first paragraph of Rule 14-3:
The United States Golf Association (USGA) reserves the right, at any time, to change the Rules relating to artificial devices, unusual equipment and the unusual use of equipment, and make or change the interpretations relating to these Rules.

Just because something is allowed today doesn't mean that it will still be ok tomorrow.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
However, if abuse of the rule by using other prohibited apps or information becomes a problem I would expect to see quick 180 on this policy. It is far too easy to cheat when all you have to do is just switch back and forth from one app to another.

Yep. Which is why I suggested it'd be wise NOT to pull out your phone. How are you going to prove that you didn't check the weather? What if you accidentally launch your weather app? What if a friend sends you a text that says "remember to keep your head still" or something goofy?

I think a picture in your yardage book would be fine but in tournament play electronic representations of course conditions on your cell phone would get someone to call for a ruling on you. Best idea is do that kind of research before the tournament and print it out for the yardage book.

Google Earth lets you view a course and measure any distances you want to know for your yardage book. Be safe and write or print it out before hand. You only have to watch the events coverage to see how many players are being hit with DQs for the most miniscule
infractions to realize it is not worth it to push the rules to the limit.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

I am suprised the UPro GPS has not come up. It plays a video of the hole.

on a practical note, a good yardage book would be better then a photo.
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Note: This thread is 4960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!