IGNORED

Smaller Head Driver

Note: This thread is 4943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

yea this thread is getting way off topic.....again. So small driver heads?? Looking online and many people prefer smaller headed drivers compared to the monster 460cc drivers made today. Huge driver heads can be harder to square up at impact for some people but they have bigger sweetspots. I had a great big bertha for 10 years that I could hit the fairway alot more consistant than 460cc drivers. Although the great big bertha is a little too small for my tastes.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea this thread is getting way off topic.....again. So small driver heads?? Looking online and many people prefer smaller headed drivers compared to the monster 460cc drivers made today. Huge driver heads can be harder to square up at impact for some people but they have bigger sweetspots. I only asked for peoples favorite small headed drivers.

All time favourite? Ram Accubar - laminated maple. Mashed it to smithereens while learning to play, but I hit some beautiful shots with that before it fell apart.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator
I have a steel-shafted Titleist PT 9.5 degree driver. Good for messing around with on the range. I've even been tempted to put it in the bag as a 2-wood of sorts.

But mostly it's fun to mess with. It's smaller than a modern 3W. And I don't play big 3-woods.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just visit a few shops, they mostly have a bucket with drivers at $25 each, the old things of 5-10 yrs ago, some are really beauties like the older Titleist, older TM, etc. Just try a bunch of these, maybe there is one you just like. There is nothing wrong with these, they are the high end drivers of 10 years ago.

But they will all be harder to hit than your current driver.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

The TM R7 is 425cc, and has a very traditional shape at address. Can be found in a TP 1* open too. There are certainly longer heads out there, but I like the accuracy and feel of this club.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

well I ended up picking up a near brand new Bridgestone J33R 420cc driver for 49 bucks. Its got the adilla nv 65s green shaft. It should be a cool second driver to have. Anyone ever hit these?

Some pro named Matt Kuchar used the J33 before upgrading to the J38...i hear he's having an ok season ;)

Driver: Cleveland Classic 270, 10.5*
Fairway Woods: Adams Speedline LP (3 & 5)
Hybrids: Wilson Staff Fybrids 21*, 24*, UST V2 stiff
Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour, 5-PW, Rifle Project-X (flighted) 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland CG15 DSG 52* & 58* +/- 56* Niblick

Putter: Yes! Amy

Some pro named Matt Kuchar used the J33 before upgrading to the J38...i hear he's having an ok season ;)

Yeah, now that he finally dumped that POS J33. Kidding of course.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

heres a couple pics of it. Its got a classic look to it thats pretty sweet. Guy told me he was selling some inventory for Golfsmith, I think it would of sold for atleast a 100 on the golfmsith website, they sell stuff for expensive.

well I ended up picking up a near brand new Bridgestone J33R 420cc driver for 49 bucks. Its got the adilla nv 65s green shaft. It should be a cool second driver to have. Anyone ever hit these?

Then NV is a great shaft. It is a nice low launch option.

nothing is more beautiful than that golf ball pic.

You couldn't be more wrong.....

PING Si3 380cc

Thanks for the list. Yea, I looked at the mizuno mp-001 but I found out the head is mostly that hard plastic except for the face and part of the sole. Kind of like Callaways ft series drivers. Im not really into those clubs

The New Callaway FT tour is a great club. Stock Voodoo shaft. It looks like an FT-9 kind of. Feels great, very workable, classic club.

Driver: Ping G5 Graffaloy Pro-Launch Blue 10.5*
2-Wood: Taylormade R9 TP 13*
3-iron: Titleist 609 CB
4-PW: Srixon i-701
Wedges: Hogan apex blade 50*Vokey Spin Milled 56*Cleveland 588 60*Ball: Whatever I find.

The New Callaway FT tour is a great club. Stock Voodoo shaft. It looks like an FT-9 kind of. Feels great, very workable, classic club.

price tag... not so pretty

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

yea it seems pretty nice. Ive held it and it felt great. I would like it more if it didnt have fusion technology. Give me just a titanium head.

my cobra driver has a 310 cc head. i got it just before the max cc head revolution started.

BAG UNDER 4 inferno red/white
DRIVER TOUR SS 310 BETA TITANIUM 10.5
3-WOOD SZ HYPER STEEL
HYBRID 503 H 19*
IRONS TA7 WEDGES OIL CAN 52 AND 56 PUTTER M4-L

Note: This thread is 4943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!