IGNORED

How to convince the wife I need new irons???

Note: This thread is 4968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hide your clubs, tell them they got stolen at the course. buy new irons as your first purchase towards replacing your lost irons.

then, all of a sudden, your clubs reappear.

magic.

In The Bag:
Bag -
Driver [9.5*] -
Fairway Woods [3,5] -
Irons [4-9, PW, SW] - Wedges [52*, 60*] - Putter -

Are you suggesting that I give up golf, and instead attend meetings of the Book Club with my wife?

Goodness no! Don't be silly, that is not what I was suggesting at all. I guess I was more talking about financially.

I would argue that most marriage problems are as a result of money issues, not lack of "rich lives apart". Seperate accounts could lead to resentment towards the other especially if one gets more than the other. I never said you surrender your individuality when you get married. If you both get the same amount, what is the point of seperate accounts anyhow?

Because we both have money that the other has no say over. So - if I want to go spend 300 dollars on golf clubs, or 600 at a strip club, or 9.2 billion dollars on a spaceship, I can do it as long as I've saved the money up for things for myself. I suppose you could do the same thing within a joint account budget, but we keep a seperate checking account for each of us for personal things. It just works. It's all transparent as we both can see what's in both accounts and all the transactions. It's a philosophy and it's trust. Different people do things differently. Maybe I was wrong making the "1987" comment, but I do know that separate checking accounts are very, very normal today for young couples.

Now - can we get back to golf stuff? I play golf and go on this forum to avoid thinking about all this shit.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I had a friend who brought the clubs home slowly and told her he bought them one at a time.

Must be a Johnny Cash fan.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

• 3 weeks later...
I had a friend who brought the clubs home slowly and told her he bought them one at a time.

good idea, cause i need a plan. i got a new TM Burner driver several months ago, and then a couple weeks ago I found some R9-graphite irons on ebay, excellent price and pulled the trigger. Then, well, I just had to get the new TM raylor and R9-3W. At that point I pretty much have a new set, so I should get another bag so I can have 2 full sets (you know, in case I play with someone that doesn't have their own set), and got the new 2010 ogio grom (again on ebay, great price, $91+$12 shipping).

But oh man, I absolutely LOVE my new setup!!

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

With my wife (and as with many of our friends) I've found that such expenditures usually cost 2x because the spouse gets something of roughly equal value, be it jewelry or a spa weekend or whatever. So in my case I've found a good trick is to first plant the seed of thought with my wife that SHE needs something first, such as a new watch, or nice dress, etc. Once she gets her goodie then she feels a little guilty, and insists that I need to go find something for myself. "Well, I have been thinking of some new golf clubs, so if you insist dear......"

Works every time.

Start off by telling her you need a full set of new clubs.

Then when she says no, tell her you'll "settle" for only a set of irons.
Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

I'm not married so I don't know the dynamics involved with a marriage but why don't you just man-up and buy a set without even mentioning it. Its a set of golf clubs not a new car. Use your own money that you've saved.

I'm trying to get my wife to buy me some new sticks. ( Callaway, Taylormade,Ping) Our 10 yr annerviersty and my birthday is within a month and well how should I go about getting her to buy me some??

That's easy, just beg.

In the Bag:
|Driver: TM Burner Plus 10.5*|Woods: TM Burner Plus 3 & 5|Hybrids: TM Burner Rescue 4 & 5|Irons: TM Burner Plus 6-AW|Wedge: Cleveland CG12 SW|Putter: PRGR Silver-Blade|Balls: Top-Flite D2

I'm not married so I don't know the dynamics involved with a marriage but why don't you just man-up and buy a set without even mentioning it. Its a set of golf clubs not a new car. Use your own money that you've saved.

1.) You're not married and don't know the dynamics involved with a marriage first hand, but good and bad examples are all around you. 2.) Buying something without mentioning it is the opposite of "manning up". 3.) It might as well be a new car to some people. A married couple is a team - romantically, spiritually, and most of all, financially. It's not a good way to treat your partner - having your cake and eating it too. Now, having said all that, when a guy plays forged blades, his wife probably wouldn't recognize the difference between 20 year old Mizunos and brand new Titleist MBs. Just throwing that out there.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

You could try to get her involved in the decision making process. When I was looking at new irons this summer I explained the different types and let my wife help me make the decision. She actually had some very valid points even though she knew nothing about golf.

Driver - VR str8 fit
3 wood - Burner 09
3 hybrid - Burner hybrid
Irons - VR split cavity S300 shaft
SW - CG15 56 degreeLW - VR forged 60 degreePutter - Studio select

This post is full of all sorts of fail and humor

Bag: Lightweight Stand Bag
Driver: G15 9º
Fairway: 909F2 15º
Hybrid: 909H 19º
Irons:  AP2 710Wedges: CG10 56º, Vokey SM 52º, 60ºPutter: Karsten Anser 34"

Note: This thread is 4968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!