IGNORED

Chippers and Putting Wedges

mikalee
Note: This thread is 3729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You had to know that would get a thumbs up from me! :-D

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Glad to see yet another Cleveland Niblick fan on the board!!

Which loft Niblick are you playing?

I own all 4 lofts -The 37 Degree is no longer manufactured but available at ebay and the like....the 42, 49 and 56.

Only one I don't like is the fickle 56...as I prefer my regular sand wedge for those shots.

As you are probably well aware, The Niblick is not just a chipper but a hybrid scoring wedge -extremely versatile from 100 yards in -it can accurately pitch, chip, approach and rescue just as Cleveland Golf states...the Hacker's Paradise reviewed all of them and tested them all with both high and low handicaps and found them to be more accurate in ALL instances...just wonderful clubs for lowing scores....this past year, I have dropped my handicap from 18 to 15 in good part due to Cleveland Niblicks....

As for those who criticize the club, I am not a PGA Tour Player nor is likely anyone else on this board....I don't play low lofted drivers, stiff shafted blade irons or have the time nor inclination to spend 5 to 8 hours 5 plus days per week practicing wedge chipping......fact is no recreational player does....the Cleveland Niblicks instill confidence, lower scores and make the game more fun....which is precisely the reason we amateurs play!!

Cheers.

I love that 37 degree Cleveland Niblick it pitches up to 100 yards on the pin and chips roll out like putts... but I'll be damned if I can get anything consistent out of the 56.....it has a 14 bounce and as you know it is configured differently than the other Cleveland Niblicks as it doesn't have an alignment marker .....How do you hit it successfully out of sand- do you use the traditional Niblick putting swing or do you play an "explosion or splash" shot???

but I'll be damned if I can get anything consistent out of the 56.....it has a 14 bounce and as you know it is configured differently than the other Cleveland Niblicks as it doesn't have an alignment marker .....How do you hit it successfully out of sand- do you use the traditional Niblick putting swing or do you play an "explosion or splash" shot???

I use both depending on the situation. Long shots out of the bunker, i'll explode it. Short shots on hard sand I'll use a putting stroke.

But I also carry a 58 degree wedge and usually bring both when in a green side bunker and decide which one will work better for the situation.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Everyone bags the chipper, but I have seen some guys that are pretty sharp with them. The purist will tell you its not a proper club etc but at the end of the day there is no room on your scorecard to write what you scored with!

I think for some its easier, they use the one club for everything around the green, rather than trying to learn to finesse 3 wedges and or mid or even long irons for pump and runs. The shaft is short and upright more like a putter so easier to control.

Worth a try, if your not worried what others think. Plus most of us can normally identify a club we rarely use, be it your 60* wedge, 3 hybrid/ 3 iron, or a redundant fairway wood

Note: This thread is 3729 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!