IGNORED

The often overlooked golf shoe, and why its worth investing in quality.

DarkPrince
Note: This thread is 4879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks, I hope so as well. This is my first spikeless pair, although my very first pair had the spikes worn down so much I doubt they made much of a difference. I'll post a little review after I get them and get to test them first hand

What's in my TaylorMade stand bag:
taylormade.gifSuperfast TP 10.5° Matrix HD6 graphite stiff shaft
nike.gifSasQuatch 2 Steel #3 Wood: 15° Diamana SasQuatch Graphite
cobra.gifBaffler DWS Hybrid Utility Woods: 3/R 20°
cobra.gifS2 Forged irons 4-PW stiff flex steel shaftcleveland.gifCG15 satin chrome 48° gap wedge 8 bouncemizuno.gifMP T Series chrome 53° sand...cleveland.gifnike.gifbridgestone.giftaylormade.gif

No offense, but requesting a return form and making a quick trip to the post office on my lunch break doesnt seem too inconvenient to me...maybe I'm alone here. Plus, my feet are relatively standard, almost all size 10's fit me perfectly...I'm not worried at all.

What's in my TaylorMade stand bag:
taylormade.gifSuperfast TP 10.5° Matrix HD6 graphite stiff shaft
nike.gifSasQuatch 2 Steel #3 Wood: 15° Diamana SasQuatch Graphite
cobra.gifBaffler DWS Hybrid Utility Woods: 3/R 20°
cobra.gifS2 Forged irons 4-PW stiff flex steel shaftcleveland.gifCG15 satin chrome 48° gap wedge 8 bouncemizuno.gifMP T Series chrome 53° sand...cleveland.gifnike.gifbridgestone.giftaylormade.gif

How do you possibly order shoes that you can't even try on? I will never order any footwear online because I have to have them on my feet before I know if they will fit. I really don't want to deal with the hassle of ordering, trying, returning, trying again, then finding out that nothing they offer fits. Never have figured out how anyone does this.

I do it all the time, very limited selection where I live. So far they have all fit. When it comes to size, I go by my other pairs as reference, I also use the reference charts a lot of the manufacturers supply.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do it all the time, very limited selection where I live. So far they have all fit. When it comes to size, I go by my other pairs as reference, I also use the reference charts a lot of the manufacturers supply.

My shoes run anywhere from 11½ to 13, and widths vary that much too. Shoe companies make shoes to different standard lasts, and some are a bit iffy to try and fit me. Nike shoes tend to run a bit narrow. I've never owned any Nike golf shoes, but I did have a couple of pairs of hiking shoes back in the late 80's that fit ok, but bordered on being too narrow across the toes. Like an earlier poster, I have trouble finding a shoe that is wide enough for my toes but still fits the heel, so I have to try different brands to get a proper fit, and even with a brand that I've owned before I can't always go from one style to another without problems.

My wife says I have Fred Flinstone feet... I guess that there is a reason why he always was barefoot.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

In my experience selling them to people, Nike almost always fits too narrow and a half size small. If you wear a 10 you usually need a 10.5. Adidas fits bigger in the toe box and length compared to Nike. Asics has probably the most generous sizing available in length and width, that and they make almost every width known to man lol. If anyone is interested Asics just announced their premium golf shoe called the Gel-Ace for I think $172 for the mens version, womens I think it said was around $120'sh. If they are anything near the quality of their running shoes, it would be worth it :P

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

I mostly wear Addidas (tried others before but didnt made too many good expierences) so i know the size i need and have no problem ordering it online. Although - from time to time some models seem to differ in size a bit, so there is no real consistency, but still much better than paying a 50% markup in my greedy pro shop.

For me it doesnt end with buying a golf shoe, it goes on with "maintaining" them - meaning, changing the spikes on a frequent basis. Its funny to look under some peoples shoes. All the newest stuff in the bag, and under their shoes is a tiny clump of rubber still left, which once were spikes

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

I've never changed a spike ever. Only use the shoes on the golf course, and I don't drag my feet, so there is very little wear on them.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I've never changed a spike ever. Only use the shoes on the golf course, and I don't drag my feet, so there is very little wear on them.

Mine only get used on the golf course too, but our courses have concrete and asphalt cart paths and parking areas which are often unavoidable. Even for me as a most of the time rider, I still change spikes every year. Only costs about $7 for a full change.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

What about when you use mats? Those seem to wear them pretty fast, but I still like to wear my spikes on mats to keep a normal level of height and stability.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

What about when you use mats? Those seem to wear them pretty fast, but I still like to wear my spikes on mats to keep a normal level of height and stability.

You'd think, especially since I hit exclusively off mats, but no, they don't seem to wear the spikes out a whole lot.

• 2 months later...

Great post Dark Prince. Especially about the expensive golf balls. Too be fair I have only been playing for a few months so maybe I should not be commenting on the different price points of golf balls. I agree with you about golf shoes. After my 1st month of playing I decided to get a pair of gold shoes. Ended up getting a nice comfortable pair of Adidas Fit/RX. I have always liked the fit of Adidas sneakers and the golf shoes were no different. Just bought a second pair of Adidas golf shoes the Tech Response 3.0. Haven't worn them yet, are you familiar with them? Also not sure if you could lend me some feedback but are golf pants worth investing in? I have been wearing khakis.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

"Buy NICE, not TWICE"

...or...

"Pay a little bit now, or a lot more later"

i have 3 pairs that i use on rotation.

First pair was a relatively expensive nike shoe (~$170) that i use on "serious" rounds when with friends or if its wet, as they have the waterproof guarantee.

The other 2 were cheap adidas (~$50) that i use when going to the range or for quick executive courses.

In my ogio.gif GROM stand bag...

taylormade.gif Tour Burner 10.5*  taylormade.gif R9 19* #5 titleist.gif 909H 19*  titleist.gif 909H 24* 
titleist.gif AP1 710 4-UW  taylormade.gifRAC satin 56* taylormade.gifRossa Daytona 1 Classic titleist.gif DT SoLo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPrince View Post
I have 2 pairs of golfing footwear. FJ Contours and FJ Golf Sandals. Both are comfortable and offer stable support.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you like your contours? I've got two colors at work (One super ugly White/Tan/Black, and the other is all Black) Neither of which seem to sell at around $70 unless I explain in detail what this whole thread is about lol. They look like they would be a relatively comfortable and very supportive shoe.

I have some FJ Contours (I think even in the super ugly color combo, hehe), and I love them.  I have a wide foot, so I was happy to even find some shoes that don't make me feel like my foot is hanging off both sides of the sole.  I think they're super comfortable, and they seem to be pretty durable so far (only had them since April or so).

Note: This thread is 4879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!