IGNORED

Online Driver Shaft Fitting...

Note: This thread is 4958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

UST Mamiya says I should have a x-stiff shaft on my driver via internet fitting, should I look into that? I have been fairly solid driving lately and now would like to "hone" my club. Anyone have experience changing shafts?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

to get an accurate fitting you have to goto a launch monitor and actually get your stuff tested
because your carry distances are probably way off if you're actually a 21.4 cap

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

Taylor Made has a similar driver and iron fitting online site - they recommend I get the Burner TP 9.5 regular with RE AX 65 shaft, might consider it.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

to get an accurate fitting you have to goto a launch monitor and actually get your stuff tested

Ok, first of I am tired of idiots assuming that if your handicap is not low you do not hit long. FOR THE LAST FREAKING TIME.....I KNOW WHAT I HIT. There are a lot of long hitting bad golfers.

Secondly I already hit a R7 limited with a Matrix Ozik stiff shaft and according to my driving distance UST states I should go with a ATTAS 2380 (xs) or the Proforce (xs). What I would like to know is what I would expect to see a difference in a x-stiff shaft.

its not that you dont hit long
its that you dont hit consistently long, which is usually from over swinging thus the high swing speeds with little control

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

Im sorry i tend to agree, I don;t no a high handicap who hits it consistantly long and most over estermate they distence. I play with a guy who is a 30 Hc he can hit it just as long as me when he swings 100% at it, but 90% he will just miss hit it.

Go get a real fitting online fittings do nothing, sorry. Thats me be honest.

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Online fitting is just another marketing tactic that makes you felt personalized. It's just a very rough way to fit the limited amount of choices for your game. If you play a lot and intend to continue, I think you should do a full session with a good club maker.

Ok, first of I am tired of idiots assuming that if your handicap is not low you do not hit long. FOR THE LAST FREAKING TIME.....I KNOW WHAT I HIT. There are a lot of long hitting bad golfers.

It's just that no-one has ever seen one that hits it long and straight with any consistency.

If you are coordinated enough to hit it long and straight you are coordinated enough to have an iron and short game that doesn't suck.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

It's just that no-one has ever seen one that hits it long and straight with any consistency.

At least Crazyxgolfer understands.

Do I need to lay out a scenario of game for you pompus asses? Typical par 4: decent drive about 260-280 good pure shots over 290, inaccurate iron shot and then chip to green far from hole. 2 putt about ever 3 iron approach shots I hit a fat shot or look up b4 I hit. bogey or double par 3: average a double bogey on these with frequent triples (I wish I knew why) par 5: my best holes BECAUSE I CAN MAKE IT IN TWO. Par 5 s are usually a par and bogey even split. There are some periodic miss hits. Accuracy and consistency with my approach shots are what kills me. They make up for a lot of strokes. Earlier in the year when I often sliced, I would have agreed that I would be wasting time fitting my driver. I would say that the majority of my drives are fairway or just off in the fairway rough, now. I didn't give a yardage or asked to be questioned on my driving distance. My drives seem to be losing some distance from "ballooning" and land frequently with little or no roll, they are off on trajectory so I am looking to get back the 300+ drives now that I am keeping it in the fairway more often. I used a TM 320i that was 8.5 with a stiff shaft that actually was getting better ball flight and distance (whether I hit the fairway or not). I am going to listen to crazyxgolfer's advice and get to a fitter. It is hard here because we do not have any big golf stores by me.

lol. CrazyxGolfer was DISAGREEING with you. Everyone knows plenty of high handicappers who claim to hit 280-290 on average, but 90% of the time they're not on the fairway...so who gives a crap about their distance?
and how is it that you somehow have a perfect driver swing consistently, but you can't hit a damn mid-iron consistently? Sorry, i don't buy it.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Looking to get back to 300+ drives? I'm guessing you have never been on a launch monitor since there aren't any big golf stores by you. Are you checking your driving distances with the use of a GPS? If you are not, try to play with one and be ready to be humbled.

Do you want to keep your driver head and just replace the shaft? If so, go check out the Grafalloy ProLaunch Red on www.rockbottomgolf.com and try it out.

« Keith »

lol. CrazyxGolfer was DISAGREEING with you. Everyone knows plenty of high handicappers who claim to hit 280-290 on average, but 90% of the time they're not on the fairway...so who gives a crap about their distance?

I am not selling it so you can not buy it. Actually crazyxgolfer stated he has a friend that is high handicap and hits it as far as he does. I think. His english was suspect so I may have misunderstood what he was saying.

Obviously you guys have your opinions based on experiences with other players and that is fine. I am clearly stating that some points of my game are more solid than others. I don't why you can not get it. I have confidence in my driver, and not so much with my irons. I am assuming that one, I don't play enough and two, I know I still come over the top frequently with my irons. When I do manage to swing right it is great. I just haven't got that rolling yet. My driving is the most consistent and I know how to keep it that way, it may not be perfect but it is hitting the fairway. Didn't you improve gradually? Or did everything just fall into place all of a sudden? Driving has always been my strong point, it was the only reason I kept golfing for quite awhile. Now I want to sharpen it with some equipment changes. I use a stiff shaft and they recommended a x-stiff so I asked whether or not this would be a good idea. I want a lower ball flight and do not know if a x-stiff shaft would be overkill. I don't need ten people coming in telling me I am a liar. I would like answers not asses please.

No most of us said online fittings are retarded and goto a launch monitor
And its realistic, driver is the hardest club to hit for a reason.
It did come gradually.... but it started with my 7iron.... not my driver.

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

I am not selling it so you can not buy it. Actually crazyxgolfer stated he has a friend that is high handicap and hits it as far as he does. I think. His english was suspect so I may have misunderstood what he was saying.

i think your english was suspect as he stated that 90% of the time, he mis hits it...

And no offense, but its just a bit hard to believe that someone who can't consistently hit a 7 iron and often hits over-the-top, can hit a driver straight and consistent a lonnnnng ways. It's just against anything I've seen or experienced with 99% of amateurs. regardless, back on topic. A X-stiff shaft CAN lower your ball flight but it also depends on your swing speed. If you have the swing speed to use a X-stiff (110+) then by all means, X-stiff will be good to have. However, if your swing isn't quite enough to really put the flex on the shaft, you're not really getting the power you can get from your shaft, thus you can actually lose quite a bit of power and distance. Use the shaft's flex to your advantage... using a shaft too stiff can be a disadvantage. Now if you use a standard Stiff shaft but want to lower your trajectory, its not really the flex of the shaft that'll change that but various other things such as kickpoint, torque, etc. I had the same problem with ballooning my shots with my old stock Ping G10 shaft. Went and got fitted with a Prolaunch Red (high kickpoint, low torque) which helped tremendously bring the ballooning down and gave me a much more boring, lower flight. Now I use a X-Stiff Whiteboard with swing speed of roughly 118 and it works out perfect for me. (not too low, mid flight with plenty of carry and roll) Point being - see if you can find a place you can actually go and get fitted. It does make a huge difference. Blindly purchasing a shaft based on what the manufacturer is recommending base on nothing they know about you, can be a waste of money.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I had the same problem with ballooning my shots with my old stock Ping G10 shaft. Went and got fitted with a Prolaunch Red (high kickpoint, low torque) which helped tremendously bring the ballooning down and gave me a much more boring, lower flight. Now I use a X-Stiff Whiteboard with swing speed of roughly 118 and it works out perfect for me. (not too low, mid flight with plenty of carry and roll)

I like the ballooning I get from the stock G10 fairway woods. It lends for possible soft landings on greens......even though I have only hit one green with my 4 wood.

I practiced my driver a lot more than any other club. I can tell by my divot that I am coming over the top and hitting it off the toe of the club. Sometimes it evens out and flies close to where I want it but without the distance. Off the tee box I am comfy with my drive. I just make a lot of mistakes because my driver swing doesn't feel comfortable as an iron swing. I am sure it is just that I need to practice it more. I have a tendacy to swing too hard, look up and often go over the top with irons. All I know is that they are mental mistakes because I know better. I really do not think a 270 to 280 drive is that far. I have always thought it was average but after being on this site and seeing all the fuss I guess not. Thank you for finally answering my question. I hope to go somewhere in Boston Saturday if I have time before I pick up someone at the airport. I will post the results.

Its not that far but to average that all the time is ••••ing hard.
You just need to goto a launch monitor because they base shaft recommendations on the distances you think you hit and estimates rough launch angles to estimate swing speed, when it should be the other way around.
I was averaging 109 yesterday in the launch monitor and that was swinging really really easy... like it would be me tight par 4 swing to just get it out there.
Just be educated enough to decide for yourself because most salesmen are hacks and know •••• all about what you need.

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

270-280 is nowhere near the norm for an average drive. A 270-280 drive is LONG unless you are in one of the tours. So you still haven't answered on how you measure your driving distances. Online fittings ask for carry distance and goes from there so...

« Keith »

Ok, c*%k measuring aside, I have some answers for you. Keep in mind, there is no standard governing what qualifies as a "stiff" versus an "extra stiff" shaft. Some "stiff" shafts play stiffer that others in an "X-flex".

Generally speaking, heavier, boardier shafts decrease your launch angle. This can be good for hitters losing distance due to ballooning, but bad for hitters with already ideal launch conditions as it leads to distance loss. I personally had a similar problem, went to an X-flex in my driver, and it helped out a bit. If you're hitting 260+ and think you're shorting yourself, you need to focus on spin numbers and probably not so much launch. Try to find a super-low spin shaft with a high kick point to maximize your distance.
Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° | Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15° | Irons: Mizuno MP-57 3-PW | Wedges: Cleveland CG11 52° 56° 60° | Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie

Note: This thread is 4958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!