IGNORED

Discuss your home course (more)...

MSchott
Note: This thread is 3613 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am currently without a home course. I moved from Alabama to Michigan last year and I've just started playing again this year. I've played three courses in Michigan so far this year: The Jewel of Grand Blanc, Royal Oak Golf Club, and Southmoor Country Club in Flint. The Royal Oak course isn't much of a challenge. I played 18 holes (its a nine hole course) so I had the oppurtunity to play each hole twice. On the par 3, 165 yard, fifth hole, I ended up getting my first hole in one. Overall, I shot a 78 (which is the best round of my life). Southmoor is a little more interesting. Its off of Dort Highway in a rougher area than the ROGC. However, its very much a links style course and I've enjoyed playing it. My parents live roughly five miles away and I am thinking of making it my home course. Its a nice, cheap, price for a college student, and overall, the course is beautiful. I would highly recommend it.

Before moving to Michigan, I lived in Montevallo, Alabama. The Montevallo golf course is where I began to learn to play the game. I loved the links at Montevallo. I even paid for a membership to the club. While the club house is not much to look at (just a trailer) but the course is in the best definition a links course. I don't know who the architect of the course is, but I suspect that most of the work was rather simple as the 13th 195 yard par 3 is a natural island sitting in front of a waterfall. Most of all, its beautiful during the autumn and the winter. Which is the best feature of the course. Its very hilly and sometimes its difficult to even reach the green in 4 but its worth anyone's time to play. There are bigger and richer courses in the Metro Birmingham area of Alabama, but none as close to a state of true nature as the links at Montevallo.

In The Bag:

Driver: None

3 Wood: None

5 Wood: Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz

2 Iron: Spalding Top Flite 73

4-PW: Giga Golf C510 Pursuit

60 Degree Wedge by Titleist 

Putter: Wilson Harmonized Augusta

Ball: Slazenger Raw Distance Feel

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lake Forest Country Club in Hudson, OH.  A classic parkland style course with mostly tree lined fairways and small greens.  Plays 6700 yards from the back though you don't need to tee it up from there to be challenged.  1929 Herbert Strong design with some modifications from the original design including a new 10th hole that extends into Lake Forest.  Generally a challenging course due to the tight fairways and punitive nature of all the trees.  My 2 favorite holes are #5 - a short but challenging par 4 and #13 - a very nice par 3 that usually plays around 180 yds.  Only 1 of the par 5's plays over 500 yards - but are all challenging.  Number 1 (475 yds) is a good birdie opportunity but 8 and 14 can rear up and bite you.  Secret to playing successfully is keeping between the trees - no need to be searching for every yard off the tee on most holes.

Leslie Park Golf Course, Ann Arbor, MI - View from the clubhouse down #1

The 9th green looking back - tee off down a tree-lined corridor and hopefully around the corner

(These are not my photos)

Leslie is owned by the City of Ann Arbor.  Built in 1967 and designed by Lawrence Packard, it was extensively renovated in the early 1990's by Arthur Hill's design firm.  Not especially long (6,700 yards from the tips), the hilly terrain and sloped greens seem to give even the best players a challenge.  For me the signature hole is #9.  One tees off down a tree-lined corridor.  About 200 yards out the hole radically turns left and the slope can help you make the journey.  Over cook a draw a bit, however, and you end up in trouble; play safe to the left side and you may be hitting from the side of the slope with the ball well above your feet.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by bkuehn1952

Leslie Park Golf Course, Ann Arbor, MI - View from the clubhouse down #1

The 9th green looking back - tee off down a tree-lined corridor and hopefully around the corner

(These are not my photos)

Leslie is owned by the City of Ann Arbor.  Built in 1967 and designed by Lawrence Packard, it was extensively renovated in the early 1990's by Arthur Hill's design firm.  Not especially long (6,700 yards from the tips), the hilly terrain and sloped greens seem to give even the best players a challenge.  For me the signature hole is #9.  One tees off down a tree-lined corridor.  About 200 yards out the hole radically turns left and the slope can help you make the journey.  Over cook a draw a bit, however, and you end up in trouble; play safe to the left side and you may be hitting from the side of the slope with the ball well above your feet.

Nice post. I've played Leslie Park many times over the years and it is one of the best values in SE Michigan. There are some tough holes like the par 5 11th which requires 3 accurate shots. My favorite hole is the par 5 4th, up the hill.

Originally Posted by MSchott

I've played Leslie Park many times over the years and it is one of the best values in SE Michigan. There are some tough holes like the par 5 11th which requires 3 accurate shots. My favorite hole is the par 5 4th, up the hill.

When you next play here the back nine will look decidedly different.  The Washtenaw County Water Resources Office has funded an extensive re-work of the streams, drainage and ponds in order to improve water quality in the Huron River.  The ponds on #12 and #17 were dredged and the greens now have stone walls fronting the greens.  The streams and drains that run between #10 and #13 and across #11 have been significantly re-routed and widened.  The fairway on #10 was raised and an earthen berm runs along the left side & road on hole #18.

With the wet spring everything is sort of a muddy mess even though the work was essentially performed between November and March.  The course is playable but I do not expect the newly seeded & sodded turf to be ready until early autumn.  Next year the back nine is going to look pretty cool.  The superintendent has a blog that shows what has gone on at Leslie along with other interesting golf maintenance subjects. http://treetownturfguy.blogspot.com/

Brian Kuehn

Originally Posted by bkuehn1952

When you next play here the back nine will look decidedly different.  The Washtenaw County Water Resources Office has funded an extensive re-work of the streams, drainage and ponds in order to improve water quality in the Huron River.  The ponds on #12 and #17 were dredged and the greens now have stone walls fronting the greens.  The streams and drains that run between #10 and #13 and across #11 have been significantly re-routed and widened.  The fairway on #10 was raised and an earthen berm runs along the left side & road on hole #18.

With the wet spring everything is sort of a muddy mess even though the work was essentially performed between November and March.  The course is playable but I do not expect the newly seeded & sodded turf to be ready until early autumn.  Next year the back nine is going to look pretty cool.  The superintendent has a blog that shows what has gone on at Leslie along with other interesting golf maintenance subjects.  http://treetownturfguy.blogspot.com/

Thank you. I'm glad that the changes were made. 10, 13 and 18 have been the least interesting holes on the course. This will at least add some visual interest.

At school its the pretty new Pete Dye River Course. Its strategically placed within a penninsula of the New River. Its the Home course of the Virginia Tech Hokies and at times can be very difficult.  I don't know how i would categorize the course in terms of style, but its beautiful and well manicured.

At home its the Crossings Golf Club.  This may be the most played course in the Metro Richmond area and it shows.  They struggle to maintain the greens and tee boxes.  Though it has issues its home and where i learned to play so you gotta take its issues with a grain of salt and go out and torch the course.

• 1 month later...

Not really sure how much I can contribute to this as I only had my first proper(ish) game of golf the other week! - My company had a corporate golf day at the Nailcote Hall Hotel in the West Midlands (I'll put the link at the bottom).

For someone who's not had much time on a course I had a great time, and so did the guys who have been playing for years. Its a par course and has 18 holes if i remember correctly. But anyway, although its the only course i've been on i'd definatly recommend it.

http://www.nailcotehall.co.uk/golf/about-the-course/

The course I play the most is Royal Crest here in NE Ohio. Nothing fancy, just a real basic simple course.

My absolute favorite hole is #11, which is a dogleg left Par 4, with the option of driving the green over water which requires a 230-240 yard carry. I always try for the green.

My 2nd favorite is a high-risk, high-reward 300 yard Par 4. Another dogleg left, which is driveable, but has trees and water left just before the hole, and trees to the right, so it requires a very well played draw. I think I like that one because my natural ball-flight is left-to-right, so it forces me out of my comfort zone since I typically refuse to lay up.

My least favorite is #1. Another dogleg left, ton of thick rough and trees on the right, and even more dense trees on the left...then right in the middle of the fairway is a huge tree. So occasionally you'll hit a beautiful shot and end up stuck behind a tree.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Stretch

Today was a fine day -- 77 degrees, blue sky, no wind -- and I was cruising at one under here (the seventh) before taking a little dip, as usual. Scenic beauty my ass.

Looking back to the tee, plays about 180 yards to the middle.

Jeeesus. Can I come visit please!

:whistle:

Originally Posted by Spackler

I don't have a home course, but my favorite course is The Southlands Golf & Country Club. It's not the "prettiest" course, or the most difficult in my area, but I enjoy the "links style", the teaching pro is super nice, and it's a fair price.

This is a view of the par 3 17th, with Stone Mountain in the background.

This is the 250 yard marker on the par 5 18th. Just seemed funny to me.

If that were me, that sign would change when I happened on it to read:  "seriously? in your dreams maybe".

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Well my Home course is Golfclub de Koepel in Wierden the Netherlands.

It's a par 70 park course. At first this was a 9 hole course and about 6 years ago turned to

18 holes. On the course you can still see the difference between the 2. The older 9 have

much higher trees and therefor plays small. You have to think about where to hit your drive in

order to get a good shot to the green.

The new part is more open for now, tree's are growing.... but here the greenkeepers keep the

rough high. So you don't want to be off the fairway. you also get a bit more wind on this side.

Holes i like most the 19th

You get a feeling your at home here. but than without the annoying B..ch

Joke.

No i like hole 14 a hole form the old course dogleg right with 420 yards.

a dry ditch in front off the green. The fairway is pretty tight, and the dogleg is a long way from the tee

right side is no go. from the left you micht be possible to get it in that ditch on front off the green.

Your ideal drive is down the left side off the fairway. this makes it possible to see the green with your approach.

not so on the right side. The second is still a long way from the green. If you drive the ball about 280 yard you get an

approach from around 180 to the center off the green.

Just a lovely hole. my avatar is actually at this hole me pitching from that ditch.

An other hole i like is the Par 5 10th. This hole is parallel to the driving range for the first part. DR is left off the hole and OB

big high oaks guard the range. after 200 yards you get fairway after that again some big high oaks and than again fairway. If you can draw your drive left off those tree's you get a straight shot to the big green with lots off elevation. And is within reach at 220 yards.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

• 3 weeks later...

My home course is Newport Golf Club in Crosby, Texas ( http://www.newport-tx.com/course/ ). We just had a house built on hole #2, so being able to walk on and play is an added bonus. As for the course itself, it is nothing special, so getting a house on this golf course is not what you may imagine. When it opened in the mid 1970's, it was a private club with regular league play and tournaments. In 2000, it became public with new ownership and has really struggled to maintain the course due to lack of business. Don't get me wrong, they still water it and aerate the greens and whatnot, but they don't mow near enough as they need to. They have been removing dead trees lately to clean it up and they are getting some tournaments back in, so I think they are on the rebound and hopefully will get in better shape soon.

As for the course, my favorite hole is #18. It's probably the most picturesque hole. 420 yard par 4 dogleg right with water along the right side hitting onto an island green surrounded by sand bunkers. It's a nice hole to finish on.

Here is the view from my backyard. I'm right at the 150 yard marker and about 250 yards out from the blue tees. I get about 10 to 15 balls a week hit in the backyard that people either don't find or are too lazy to look for.

http://imgur.com/TfG2hPz

• 1 month later...
My home course is Newport Golf Club in Crosby, Texas ([URL=http://www.newport-tx.com/course/]http://www.newport-tx.com/course/[/URL]). We just had a house built on hole #2, so being able to walk on and play is an added bonus. As for the course itself, it is nothing special, so getting a house on this golf course is not what you may imagine. When it opened in the mid 1970's, it was a private club with regular league play and tournaments. In 2000, it became public with new ownership and has really struggled to maintain the course due to lack of business. Don't get me wrong, they still water it and aerate the greens and whatnot, but they don't mow near enough as they need to. They have been removing dead trees lately to clean it up and they are getting some tournaments back in, so I think they are on the rebound and hopefully will get in better shape soon. As for the course, my favorite hole is #18. It's probably the most picturesque hole. 420 yard par 4 dogleg right with water along the right side hitting onto an island green surrounded by sand bunkers. It's a nice hole to finish on. Here is the view from my backyard. I'm right at the 150 yard marker and about 250 yards out from the blue tees. I get about 10 to 15 balls a week hit in the backyard that people either don't find or are too lazy to look for. [URL=http://imgur.com/TfG2hPz]http://imgur.com/TfG2hPz[/URL]

I'm right across the lake in Atascocita. I lived just off Golf Club for a while as a child and my brother just had a house built just across from country club drive. I recently started playing golf and have wanted to play Newport because I remember how it was. It will pick up in time. I'm anxious to get out there but there are so many courses around here.

• 5 months later...

To answer one of your questions the best forum I have found to read about golf course architecture is GolfClubAtlas.com.

Doak even posts on there once in awhile.

As for my home courses I currently am at The Concession Golf Club in Fl for the winter which I will comment a little about first….

Hardest course in FL I have played.   You cannot let your guard down on any shot as it will come back to bite you with a big number.

From the tips it is 155 slope, even from the member tees of 6460 it is 146!   The Concession if a Nicklaus/Jacklin collaboration with Mr. Nicklaus having most of the final say and like most of his recent works the course begins and ends around the greens.   Guess I need to learn how to chip the ball finally, putting from 50 yards off the green doesn't work with some of the bunkering here.   Best hole on the course in my opinion is the short par 4 8th.   Water on 3 sides of a small green and a massive bunker on the other, might be arguably the hardest hole on the course and a great example that length isn't always the answer to toughening up a golf hole.   Concession in general is a great test of golf but you may feel worn out mentally because it can take a toll on you, but it is great fun everyday I try to take it on!!  Great fun factor!    More on summer course later….

We have many munis in S. Indiana. My favorite has fairways so wide you cannot yell across them. The grass is so short that in August it is like driving on an airport runway. The most fun however is a little course right in town. 9 holes. Has a decent dogleg as well as 2 par fives and a small lake that has to be considered on two approaches. Both are bordered by woods so there are abundant man made paths to jump off and take a leak.

My home course is Brookledge Golf Club in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.  Began as a 9-holer and was redesigned by Arthur Hills to an 18-hole beautiful golf course.  Since the redesign in the late 90s, upgrades to irrigation, bunkers and greens have taken place.  All bunkers have fairway, an intermediate cut and the long blade shaggy grass around them that sometimes 'save' your ball from the sand itself.  However, when you inspect your lie, you WISH it was in the sand and not in the 3" deep rough around the bunker.  Very nice upgrades.

Greens are usually perfect, roll nice and putt on the fast side.  Fairways are always cut like collars around the greens.  Can't get a bad lie from the short stuff.  The roughs have been cut down as of last couple of years, but they over seed them to a point where it doesn't matter ... still very difficult to get a club through the rough. Fairways, greens and tee boxes are your typical northern bent grass variety.  Roughs are fescue, rye, bluegrass mix.  Fairways roll nice because they're cut close, greens hold nicely and putt well.

The "Amen Corner" of the course starts with #12, a 170-ish yard par 3 over a ravine with green shrouded by large old-wood oaks guarding left and right.  Sometimes it's easier just to visit the drop area right and long of the green and try for a bogey!  OB left, trees right and deep.  Green slants from back to front and from right to left.  Just treacherous.

#13 would be easy if they took out the 70' high oak that guards the left and middle of this dogleg left hole.  If you negotiate the 180 to the cart path over another ravine and can hit it at least 230, you have about a 7 or 8 iron into the green.  The green is long and narrow, grass bunkers right, huge sand bunkers short and left.  The pin placement is usually unfair on a very undulating green that provides no place for anything close to a flat putt.

#14 is always an adventure.  Another par-3 that can range from 140 to nearly 200 yards over a total naturalized area.  A creek parallels the green left, then cuts in front and runs the length back to the deep tee boxes.  The green is generous in size and has a really nice grassy bank area right before you'd find the trees.  Bail out is definitely right, bunkers guard short and right as well.  Left is dead - creek, cart path and woods.  Great contour to the green that is about 40 yards deep.  Over the years, we've seen some seriously long putts drained here.

#15 is an uphill driving area.  Again, the same ravine asks for about 200 yards of carry to get it up and into the fairway.  If you hit the left half of the fairway, you are rewarded with about another 40-50 yards of roll.  Right is dead due to an island of trees from 180 to 250 off the tee.  From the fairway, it's still a long iron into the 390 yard par-4.  Easy green once you get there, but amply guarded with grass bunkers short, right and large sand traps left of green.

#16 is a 535 yard par 5.  Straight off the tee sets up a measured 2nd shot that has to find the left corner of the fairway just short of the creek that feeds into the par-3 #13.  You HAVE to be in the right spot, (left corner of fairway and near the creek) because of another 80' high sycamore tree that guards the right half of the fairway at 120 out.  Par on this hole will win you a skin most days.

End of "Amen Corner" on this nine.  It's pretty easy, even as a decent player, to play this stretch (holes 12-16) at +6 or worse.  Not many 'gimme pars' at all.

#17 and 18 are great finishing holes both with birdie opportunities.  #17 requires a big cut drive around the 'Eisenhower' tree that guards the dogleg right driving area.  A good drive leaves an 8-iron to wedge for the bigger hitters into an uphill green that holds anything.  If you can knock it close, the green putts easily.  #18 requires a drive of only 200-210 to reach the far side of the dogleg.  240-250 puts you in the water.  Dogleg right is guarded by a massive hill and woods right and ugly 'happy grass' (the British Open type) left.  Put your drive in the fairway and you're looking at no more than 7-iron into the green.  Green is very wide but only about 30-40' deep on the approach and is well-guarded by trap that covers 70% of the greens width.  No 'sneaking' one on here.

The front nine at this course is a pure joy to play.  Fair, challenging and picturesque.  I've played the front nine (par 35) under 40 several times.  Never came CLOSE to breaking 40 on the back nine.  Definitely a Jekyll and Hyde / Tale of Two Nines type course.  When you tee it up on 10 you're feeling pretty good about yourself.  Then you run into the stretch of holes 12-16 and the wheels can easily come off.  I've seen it happen to me, my playing partners and some VERY good players as well.

Anyone visiting NE Ohio, put this one on your list.  You won't be disappointed.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

• 2 months later...

My home muni is Lake Hefner Golf Club. Pretty nice and probably the best public course in OKC. 2 courses, one designed by Floyd Farley, the other I don't know. Love hole #1 south since I am not a very good golfer by any means, and its a relatively easy Par 4 that gives you a chance to start off strong. About to join a CC. http://www.quailcreekgcc.com/ Quail Creek G&CC.; Pretty nice, never played it, excited to see what its like.

Note: This thread is 3613 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!