IGNORED

Breaking 75 !

Gerald
Note: This thread is 970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Gerald, out of interest which course in the UK is it you are playing at?

Cobra - Speed Pro 8.5º X-Flex, Speed Pro 13º S-Flex | Mizuno - MP CLK 20º Hybrid, MP-67 DG S300 4-PW | Cleveland - CG10 52º,56º, 60º | Rife - Antigua Island 34"

Gelpenberg/Netherlands

All distances in meters (yds is devide by 0.9) and SI (stoke index : 18 is easiest, 1 is hardest)

It is not only a long course, but there are also many deeeeeeeeeep bunkers and not only around the green and many doglegs where there is only one sound routing if you go for par ......

When I play at other courses I mostly play my hc with ease.......

Some holes don't seem that difficult distance wise, but hole 2 and 8 are water most the way from tee to green, and at hole 7 the second shot has a carry of about 180 meter over a large pond, if you go for a par.....

Most first time visitors, shoot double handicaps...... hihi.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Back tees for cat. I and II (0.0 - 11.5 hc) Par 72, 7050 yds (6357 meter), SR 132, CR 73.2

But if your average is 77.2, isn't it below your handicap?

My course has a rating of 71.1 and slope 135 (par 72, 5838 meters) and I get five shots. From the medal tees, which I assume is where you play from, CR is 72.8 and SR is 139 so I get seven shots. Assuming your course has a similar slope table, or even more difficult seeing as it's 73.2, shouldn't your handicap give you 79 shots? I would think an average of 77.2 from the medal tees is closer to a 3 handicap than a 5. Sorry for the detailed summary, I'm just interested in how handicaps are determined in other countries.

Yepp that is the idea ...... breaking 75 would bring me to scratch !!!!

The hc system is slow...... practice rounds with a official marker in a pre-registrated card till HC 4.5 ..... 0.2 strokes off for any stroke below the exact hc...... and also 0.1 up for any round above hc..... so it is really hard to get strokes off. And below 4.5 you can only register tournament rounds ...... so even if I would play scratch now, it would still take me about a year.....

But any way I went from 45 till around 5 this year .... I don't complain !

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

yeah this system makes it really hard for low handicappers.

the American version is a lot better.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Ye it works the same way out here, which is quite annoying. Though we only go up if the score is 33 stableford points or less. I'm hoping it works differently in the UK, that's where I'll be playing halfway through next year.

... I'm hoping it works differently in the UK, that's where I'll be playing halfway through next year.

Sorry to break it to you but we use the CONGU handicapping system which is possibly even harsher on lower handicap golfers as category 1 golfers (i.e. handicap between 0 - 5.4) only lower their shot by 0.1 for each stroke below the exact handicap, not 0.2! Owch...

This link explains it well: http://www.mygolfexperience.com/golf...f-handicap.asp I wish the world should just agree a universal handicapping system (USGA) and try to phase it in over 10 - 15 years or so.

Cobra - Speed Pro 8.5º X-Flex, Speed Pro 13º S-Flex | Mizuno - MP CLK 20º Hybrid, MP-67 DG S300 4-PW | Cleveland - CG10 52º,56º, 60º | Rife - Antigua Island 34"

I don't agree ..... as in the USGA system people can send in scores that they play by themselfs only, without an official marker having to sign such cards ..... so people wanting a low handicap, get a low handicap.

About 15 years ago I was a summer in Northern California, played at several courses and met a few near scratch golfers then, I played from 6 by that time, and they were no competition for at all, if they were lucky they played around 10-14 hc.

• 10 years later...
23 minutes ago, KJ95 said:

what app are you all using to track your golf stats. GIR & scrambling etc.? 

Welcome to The Sand Trap!  :beer:

You may be a while waiting for a response to this one, the last post here is almost 11 years old.  But take a look around, and chime in to whichever threads interest you.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

57 minutes ago, KJ95 said:

I am currently using Hole19 though I have just been using it for a scorecard most of this time.  Just started using it a bit more with number of putts and the GIR/up and down/sand shots, but not yet used the shot by shot of fairway, left/right etc

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

1 hour ago, KJ95 said:

Welcome to TST.   We're glad you've joined.    I use TheGrint to keep statistics.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 1 month later...

I don't keep any of the statistics on my game as the OP but as someone who breaks 75 2-3 times a season I've come to realize the difference between shooting under or over that number boils down to efficiency in the short game (100 yards in) and putting. If I can get my short approach shots to within makeable putt range so that I have a shot at a birdie on Par-5's, or saving a Par-4, and then making those putts, THAT's what makes the difference.  Of course, holing an occasional long putt certainly helps and avoiding 3-putting is a must. If I fail at any of those things, and I often do, I'll shoot a higher number.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

Note: This thread is 970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!