IGNORED

Are 52*/60s all that useful all the time?

JML22
Note: This thread is 4921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So i'm trying to decide if i should get a 52 and 60 right now since they're pretty cheap on RBG.
Are they all that useful or is gauging distance with a 56 fine?

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

Depends on your needs and the courses you play. Some things to consider:

Do you need to fill a gap between your PW and SW?
Would you use your 52 to chip?
Do you find yourself needing to hit a flop often?
Are you comfortable controlling distance on partial shots with your PW?

For me, I chose the gap. I have about a 25-30 yd gap between my PW and SW. I also LOVE to chip with my 52. For my course, I manage fine with my 56. Every now and then I wish I had a 60 (maybe one shot in three rounds) when I have to get over sand with a close pin right behind. But I am happy with my choice.

What's in my Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag that sits on my Clic Gear 3.0 Push Cart:
Driver TaylorMade Tour Burner 10.5° Fujikura SuperFast Stiff
3W TaylorMade Burner 15° TM REAX Stiff
Hybrid Cobra Baffler Rail H 19° Fujikura Motore Stiff
Irons TaylorMade  R7 3-PWWedges Cleveland CG14 52°.10 and...

I dont think its a big gap but right now its a really easy pw or a stretched out 56.
Right now i open my 56 and hit a low bounce bounce stop that works out really nice, but sometimes if i could just casually get it in the air with a 60 and have it come down straight that would be nice too.

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

Getting my 52 was one of the best decisions i ever made. Closed a gap between my PW and SW and is a perfect club for chipping.

Cleveland Hibore XL
Mizuno F60 3 wood
3-PW MP 68
52 & 56 Vokey
Odyssey White Steel 2 Ball

I love both since I am always hitting from 100 yards in to the green. I am never on the green in two. Ha Ha.

My friend is missing a gap wedge and he always complains about how he wants one cause he is always in between clubs for that distance.

I would definitely invest in both if you can.

10.5* Adams Super Fast 10
17*, 21* Adams Black Super Hybrid
X-24 irons
Jaws 52*,56*,60* Wedges
White Ice #9 Putter

Top Flite Gamer v2

Everyone has opinions on the best choices for spacings. Some courses are best played with four wedges and others with three because of long and variable par 3s, the need for more choices at longer distances in general, or just the opposite. I play (generally) with a 48 degree pitching wedge, a 54 degree sand wedge and 60 degree lob wedge. That is because of several possible longer type green side bunker shots, and many possible short-side shots from collection areas to greens with down slopes away from you. I use the lob wedge for most bunker shots, but the long ones are better suited to the 54. A 52 is a bit iffy for longish bunker play. Quicker greens usually call for more loft on your lob wedge, but there is no absolute formula for what any one person should carry. My only firm rule is to never hit my most lofted club as hard as I can, which means I spend a lot of time hitting a 54 degree wedge over a pretty wide gap of distances -- so I practice those shots a lot. I do think a 52 and a 60 is a pretty large gap, so if you have a very strong lofted pitching wedge, you might want a 57 or 58 degree wedge. I leave it to you to think why that might be the case.

RC

I need a 52° to fill the gap between my pitching wedge (~125 yards) and my sand wedge (~85 yards). That's like a 40 yard gap and the 52° splits it perfectly. Had a 60° in the bag for a long time but took it out of the bag halfway through this season. My 3 iron got more action than it did so it gradually stayed in the trunk more often.

« Keith »

Whatever works for you.

I have 5 wedges in the bag right now. My GW, PW & LW see regular action, i threw the 64* back in there to combat wet bunkers(& because it's fun to use sometimes), & my SW really only sees full swing action.

i played only a 56* for about 15 years. Over the past year, I've incorporated both a 52 and a 60 into my bag, and love both clubs. Since I played only a 56 for so long, I was able to learn to hit a very wide range of shots with it... All of which can now be used on both 52 and 60 to achieve varying results. I think my biggest gain so far has been the 52, bc it bridges the gap so nicely between the PW and SW. The 60 is fun, but I can still achieve similar shots and results with a tricky 56 when I want to (still don't have the confidence in the 60 as I do the 56 bc of experience)

Bag: Lightweight Stand Bag
Driver: G15 9º
Fairway: 909F2 15º
Hybrid: 909H 19º
Irons:  AP2 710Wedges: CG10 56º, Vokey SM 52º, 60ºPutter: Karsten Anser 34"

Everyone has opinions on the best choices for spacings. Some courses are best played with four wedges and others with three because of long and variable par 3s, the need for more choices at longer distances in general, or just the opposite. I play (generally) with a 48 degree pitching wedge, a 54 degree sand wedge and 60 degree lob wedge. That is because of several possible longer type green side bunker shots, and many possible short-side shots from collection areas to greens with down slopes away from you. I use the lob wedge for most bunker shots, but the long ones are better suited to the 54. A 52 is a bit iffy for longish bunker play. Quicker greens usually call for more loft on your lob wedge, but there is no absolute formula for what any one person should carry. My only firm rule is to never hit my most lofted club as hard as I can, which means I spend a lot of time hitting a 54 degree wedge over a pretty wide gap of distances -- so I practice those shots a lot. I do think a 52 and a 60 is a pretty large gap, so if you have a very strong lofted pitching wedge, you might want a 57 or 58 degree wedge. I leave it to you to think why that might be the case.

Another 48-54-60 player after years of trying of experimenting, this is a great set-up. Like RC says, make sure to learn how to hit those wedges a variety of ways.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I use a 60 from 75 yards and in about 90 percent of the time...maybe more. I can open, close, bump and run (you need to fat it a little and it will run out well), flop, spin and stop. Jeez i love that club.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

My game lives or dies on my pitching wedge (47°) and gap wedge (51°). The SW (56°) is used with regularity too, but not half as often as I use the GW. I don't carry anything higher than 56°.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I run a 48*/52*/56* setup and love it. It maintains the 4* loft gap of my irons all the way through. I use the 52* alot, mostly on full shots but it is great for bump and run.
Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

by your handicap you are much better than I am. But I opted for a 48/54/60 setup this year (all Vokey oil cans). The 60 has been a godsend around the greens. I use it as a full wedge for pitches 60-75 yds out. Also my approaches using this club has given me the opportunity to make a bunch of one putts this season. I just find this loft clicked with my swing from the get go. I practiced in the yard with it for about a month before taking it to the course. Actually chipped one in from about 35 yds out with it. Which never happends for me.

The 54 I use mainly as a SW and the courses I play do not have much sand so it stays in the bag unless I am 85-95 yds out then I use it as a full club.

The 48 I took out of the bag and went back to my standard pw (46). For some reason I had a hard time hitting this club on full shots and chipping around the green never felt right to me. I have a sweeping type swing which works with the 60 but not with the 48. I think the 48/6 requires one to have a steep angle to the ball and not a sweep.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

I play 48/52/56/60 in my bag and love it. Last year I had a 48/54/60 set up and I had nothing that went 110-115 yards. I don't use the gap wedge a lot around the greens but I do use it quite a bit on full shots or even shorter shots just to hit it lower with less spin. I use my 60 a ton around the greens, I'd say I'm 50/50 around the greens using my 56 & 60.

But I have suffered a little bit on some longer courses where par 3's fall in between my 4 iron and hybrid, but I'd much rather have more options on shorter shots.

Driver: 910D3 - Oban Kiyoshi 75 X / 909D3 - Oban Devotion 7 X
3 Wood: R9 TP - Oban Devotion 8 05
Hybrid: 909H - Project X Graphite
Irons: 4-6 AP2 - Project X 6.5 / 7-W MB - Project X 6.5
Wedges: Scratch 1018 52/56/60 KBS Tour XPutter: SC Button Back Newport 34" / SC Del Mar 34" / SC SS Newport...

So ijust moved to the states
are there better sales on thanksgiving weekend or around christmas time?
I'm thinking RBG will drop the price on the Rac wedges on thanksgiving weekend righht?
i might just buy both when that happens

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

I carry 47*/52*/56*. I don't really use the gap wedge that much, I like half and 3/4 swings with my 47*. The 56* sees a lot of action from 20-70 yards as well as in the rough around the green.

I've never figured out how to use a 60* wedge effectively. The only time I can think of where it would be helpful for me is pitching over a sand trap to a shallow green from a tight lie, but how often does that happen.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!