IGNORED

Sean Foley's new DVD

Note: This thread is 4278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

finally got around to getting a copy of sean foleys next generation blue ray. The lessons are very brief and dont go into much detail. For the most part I agreed with all he taught except for the butt of the club pointing inbetween the ball and foot on the backswing. He says it will fall into position on the downswing which isnt really true. David leadbetter teaches to have the butt of the club in this position as well because it will feel lighter so he probably got this from him since he mentions his name in the beginning of dvd. Problem is the club is off plane, I use to do this without me knowing I was and my club didnt automatically come down on plane but did once I got it on plane on backswing.

I liked some of the drills he had on the dvd as well, like the feet close together behind the ball and then stepping into the shot, the bringing the left heel up on the backswing and then pushing it down on the downswing to know where to have the pressure etc. I did think the Golf digest series was way more in depth in the teaching, On the golf digest series he will teach for about 25 mins or so on each lesson, the dvd lessons seem like 5 minutes each. I hope the next one has longer lessons but it was still good. He hit some great draws on the video too

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered this DVD/BluRay a while back and initially was not impressed at all.  Last weekend though, I decided to give it a fresh look and I'm so glad I did. I've read S&T; cover to cover twice, and absolutely loved the results I was getting with my irons. My main problem with S&T; was with my woods. (I'm 100% sure that's my fault) I wanted to be able to swing EVERY club in the bag the same way, and I really couldn't grasp S&T; with my woods.

After a horrible range session with my woods I popped in the Foley DVD again and REALLY watched it. I grabbed my 6-iron and really worked on staying connected with the "towel under both armpits drill." I also worked on keeping my head steady in the back swing and lateral movement towards the target on the downswing. Went back to the range and felt comfortable swinging ALL clubs in my bag and making good contact. I hit a few more FAT shots then I would like but after several sessions I'm hitting less and less. The biggest thing for me is I'm using the same swing from driver down to wedge and it feels awesome.

At least for me with S&T; I had way too many swing thoughts. I was worried about my inclination to the ground as well as my spine tilt to the left not to mention my hips sliding towards the target fast enough or enough period etc.... it got to be too much. The Foley swing gives me a simple repeatable swing and I dont have to have a mile long pre swing checklist.

Please know I'm not bashing S&T;, cuz it works. Heck it even worked for me, but I just couldn't get my woods under control. Just my two cents.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I guess making the S&T; adjustments at address that golfevolution shows in their video, was too much to ask?

Same swing, an adjustment at address. I found it easy. But all of us are different.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I guess making the S&T; adjustments at address that golfevolution shows in their video, was too much to ask?

Same swing, an adjustment at address. I found it easy. But all of us are different.

You are correct all of us are different. It's about finding what works for you. People here are really sensitive when it comes to S&T.; Sheesh

I will say AGAIN S&T; is awesome, but just NOT FOR ME.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

You are correct all of us are different. It's about finding what works for you. People here are really sensitive when it comes to S&T.; Sheesh

I will say AGAIN S&T; is awesome, but just NOT FOR ME.

I was wondering, if you return to this thread, over what period did you try the S&T; swing?

I mean, I started in August, and it's getting to the point where it is working with all clubs -- and that is without instruction. I used a book, youtube, and this site. Eventually, I will have someone knowledgeable take a look, but that's not the point.

Yes, I hear your pain. There were a lot of swing thoughts, and at times, there still are -- but that is with any new swing or new principles, no matter what skill you are attempting to learn. Especially, when you are learning on your own. I've found an instructor puts less swing thoughts into your head, and thinking is not as essential. On your own, one thinks more.

I know some people who tried S&T; around 2007(?) when it first came out -- and based their decision on a magazine article and pics. Verdict - iron swing good, wood swing bad. At the same time, a few adjustments to the longer clubs made all the difference. But after a few months, they were back to their old swing. I was wondering about the patience level of golfers. I mean, Tiger has been on this swing change for almost 2 years...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• 3 months later...

Can someone with the Foley DVD's let me know if this Youtube video is taken from his DVD?  I've never seen the DVD, but like this video as I think the instruction is solid and easy to understand.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Can someone with the Foley DVD's let me know if this Youtube video is taken from his DVD?  I've never seen the DVD, but like this video as I think the instruction is solid and easy to understand.

It is. We'll have to agree to disagree that it's "easy to understand." Maybe you can tell us what a "reference of sequence" and "slightly vertical and slightly diagonal" is, though.

Or maybe you were being sarcastic and I missed it again. It's happened already today. :)

I like what Sean teaches and seems to understand, but the DVD was horrible IMO.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

It is. We'll have to agree to disagree that it's "easy to understand." Maybe you can tell us what a "reference of sequence" and "slightly vertical and slightly diagonal" is, though.

Or maybe you were being sarcastic and I missed it again. It's happened already today. :)

I like what Sean teaches and seems to understand, but the DVD was horrible IMO.

I was more referring to the way the video was edited with the visual overlays.  We all know Foley has quite the vernacular.  But I like how they add the:

1.) Clubhead

2.) Arms

3.) Torso

4.) Hips

And then the usage of the 90*.

Just makes the video more interactive and easier to understand IMO.

I'd like to see more editing in instructional videos like this.

Wow... Very in depth review.  Thanks for the link Erik.  I'll check it out.  But for $35 now on Ebay, I'll probably buy it and get a few things out of it?  Even if it is one thing, and one thing only... That is worth the $35 for me.

Note: This thread is 4278 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!