IGNORED

Fade or slice with G15 driver, but not with Sumo2 driver!

Rexmaster
Note: This thread is 4860 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is square head driver much more forgiving than conventional teardrop head driver?

I can hit Sumo2 pretty good, but not G15 (fade or slice). Not sure whether any subtle difference in grip or something else with G15 changes how I swing the club.

Both are stiff shaft, but G15 has midsize grip compare to stock grip (standard size?) on Sumo2. Could this be a reason for fade and slice with G15?

Ping G15 10.5° Driver with Aldila NVS 65-S 
Ping G15 15.5° 3 wood
Adams: IDEA A3 3H, (A7)4H, 5H, 6, 7, 8, 9 irons, PW
Cleveland:CG12 56°, 60°
Nike: IC 20-10 Putter

Yes because a larger grip makes it harder for your hands to turn over and cause the clubface to stay open. Also though they are both stiff shafts, they can be completely different. Are the exactly the same? Because even Pro's will try a dozen of the same shaft to find one that is special, were it might give them an edge, so even same type of shafts can give different results. you just can't look at stiffness because were's the kick point, is the tip stiff, whats the torque on it, are they the same length.

I use to play an EI-70, i love that golf shaft, still have it, about to find a cheap driver head to put on it, something i can work around the course, maybe a low degree 3-wood. So i switched to a G10 and the shaft in it was stiff, but light, i was spraying it everywere. I couldn't feel it in my swing, so i went out and bough a shaft that weight close to my EI-70, and have a similar torque and kick  point, BINGO, i was back baby..

Clubface shouldn't have an issue with it, square is just more surface area and less forgiving, but shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Both shafts are the same length. As for the torque, I believe it's different.

Sumo2: Stock shaft, nike golf diamana 65-S, torque: ?

G15: Aldila, NVS 65-S, torque: 3.6

The grip on G15 feels definately thicker in my hand and little uncomfortable. I'm planning to change the grip to standard size.

Isn't square head more forgiving, not less forgiving?

Ping G15 15.5° 3 wood

Originally Posted by Rexmaster

Both shafts are the same length. As for the torque, I believe it's different.

Sumo2: Stock shaft, nike golf diamana 65-S, torque: ?

G15: Aldila, NVS 65-S, torque: 3.6

The grip on G15 feels definately thicker in my hand and little uncomfortable. I'm planning to change the grip to standard size.

Isn't square head more forgiving, not less forgiving?

That Aldila NVS 65 is a beast man, its nasty shaft, very hard to to swing if you don't have the swing speed. They put that on a low degree Titliest and it was very tricky to get it going, really got to not hold back.

to me, unless you get a clubhead with interchangeable weights (if you like that), or something like a speedline or the new Nike's were they thing those help the club head channel through the air better, really the clubhead is only for looks. You wont find one going farther than the others by much, nothing to really say, you definetly want this one. I like the G10 and G15's because they look traditional and i like setting up to that. I can't set up to the squares, to wierd for me. Really what makes the golf club is the shaft and the grip and the degrees of loft. With those three you can hone it in to some really power packing drives..

yea it should be more forgving, sorry if i said otherwise. I don't think it is because i can't stand them, just a mental error on my part.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

i'm very curious about this topic as well - dymo2 square head vs. the conventional drivers ...looking forward to more advice

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I also play a square head three wood. I occassionaly get some curvature, but it's rarely all that much.  The majority of the time it's predominately pulls, straight shots, or pushes.  Not suprising as that is what the club was designed to do.  I fight an over the top swing, and with regular clubheads, I'll get a fade of some sort, but with the nike my out to in swingpath turns into a pull.

Update after re-gripping from mid to standard size grip.

No more fade or slice with G15! Still, it takes a little effort to hit G15 compare to Sumo2 since I'm more used to Sumo2 (>1year) than G15 (<1 months).

The major factor in my case seems to be the wrong size grip.

As for my swing, the squrehead driver is much more forgiving than the coventional shape driver! I need to spend more time with G15 at the range.

Ping G15 15.5° 3 wood

Originally Posted by inthehole

i'm very curious about this topic as well - dymo2 square head vs. the conventional drivers ...looking forward to more advice

I have the Sumo2 driver and 3+ wood (13 degrees and deep face), both with Proto shafts. They are a great combo. Even being square, the 3 wood is very workable. The square head really shouldn't take away that much (if any) workability on the center of the club face. There's a lot of talk around here on the science of ball flight that will back that up. What the square head does for you is resist twisting on mis-hits.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Most likely it has nothing to do with the driver at all.  It is probably the shaft.

Driver - Taylor Made 09 Burner.
3 Wood - Callaway Diablo.
Hybrid Irons - Adams A30S
Wedges - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. 56*, 60* Taylormade Rac.
Putter - Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1.

Higher MOI = less gear effect on ball strikes near the heel or toe.

http://www.golfclub-technology.com/gear-effect.html

If you had a driver with infinite MOI (and a correct swing path and face angle) it wouldn't matter where you hit the ball on the face, it would go perfectly straight. However, there would still be a sweet spot where balls would travel further...

3 things dictate how the ball flies:

1: Path

2: Face angle

3: Position on face

All game improvement irons and high MOI drivers do is mitigate number 3. You can still hook/slice a high MOI club...

The reason I bought the Nike square Sumo was for something completely different: they're easy to line up. At least for me, I feel like I can line the driver and woods up much better now...

• Administrator

Originally Posted by The Gill

If you had a driver with infinite MOI (and a correct swing path and face angle) it wouldn't matter where you hit the ball on the face, it would go perfectly straight. However, there would still be a sweet spot where balls would travel further...

Well it wouldn't necessarily go straight because the path and face angle could still be different, but it just wouldn't have any added curve (draw if hit on the toe, fade on the heel). I think you were saying - and you're correct in this - that an infinite MOI would lead to 0 gear effect (since that relies on some twisting), but the subtleties can matter so I hope that clears things up a little.

To everyone: the MOI of a square driver over any other modern drivers is not enough to be terribly noticeable. Higher MOI helps contribute to less gear effect (you still get some) and a slightly higher transfer of energy, but in practice it's not very much. You'd do better to hit the ball closer to the middle o the face. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Well it wouldn't necessarily go straight because the path and face angle could still be different, but it just wouldn't have any added curve

And if I can paraphrase you, an infinite MOI driver workable just like any other club.

So when folks say "square drivers aren't workable", that isn't quite accurate as well.

Note: This thread is 4860 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!