IGNORED

No More Fatass In 2011

ControlJunkie
Note: This thread is 4803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

How about we start a thread in which everyone can post a bi-weekly or tri-weekly weigh-in, and perhaps put their goals or something in their signatures?

They say you shouldn't go to the gym by yourself because a buddy will help you keep up the habit, well, we can do a similar thing here. I'm up for doing whatever y'all need or want or think is best.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are all good ideas. The more reinforcement and support everyone has, the more likely everyone is to succeed in reaching their goals.

So we have lists for courses, equipment, etc. Think there would be a way to use them somehow for listing intangible things, such as goals? That could not only help here, but also for tracking the on course goals people have in that thread as well.

Or maybe it would be easier just to do something in the standard signature. I dunno, what do you think??

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I am not sure that losing weight is good for your golf game. I been as fat as 260 and as thin as 185. Beyond the extremes I tend to to stay around 200lbs. At any rate my best swing is around 225-230, and when I am down in the 180-190's my swing is a real mess. The added weight seems to slow things down. It might be that Learned to play when I was 230+ and never been under 200 for longer then 2 golf seasons.

Anyhow 220 right now, and swinging great. Still I would like to drop 25lbs before April. For me this is pretty "easy" I go on very clean diet with loads of green veggies and lower suger fruits, very little carbs(no pasts, potatos, etc and just one slice of bread day) and lean protein like fish and chicken and then 3 litres of water a day, I do this and then through in some running, swimming biking and golf and I drop about 46-lbs a week.

The trick of course is keeping them off. But after a month or two of eating like this, I lose my taste for suger and junk food and tend to eat healthy for a year or two before I get back on the junk food.

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Hmm, i found i played better when i lost the weight, i get lest lateral in my swing, though i did loose a bit of distance. When you get 270 moving sideways really fast at the right moment, watch out.. ;b

But i wouldn't go back to that weight ever again. I don't get sick, i eat fresh foods, i love working out, i have little back pain, i have great endurance now, my whole life is better. I don't know how people can stay fat, grasping for air after every step, i just shake my head.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I understand the idea of swinging better at a heavier weight, but I have to chalk it up to comfort level more than anything else. Personally, I have no doubt that my game has suffered because of my weight. When I see my swing on video I can tell how big a struggle it is to make a decent turn. Whereas when I was younger I had to worry about getting past parallel. Now I look like JB Holmes with the club pointing at the sky at the top of my backswing. I've lost some distance, but I would say it's made my iron game more consistent as I'm more under control.

BUT, and it's a big BUT, my stamina is awful. It's hard for me to finish strong. During my best play during the summer, a couple times in a row I got to the middle of the back 9 at 2-3 over par and licking my chops thinking I had a shot at a career best round, only to finish 5-8 over par for the last 3-4 holes. Finally realized it was partially a case of putting pressure on myself, but primarily I just couldn't finish physically.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

My latest blog entry, about the challenges of cooking in a calorie-conscious fashion:

http://www.metro.us/newyork/blog/post/738408--scary-to-fly-solo-over-weekend

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

Maybe someone here can help me out. I'm looking for the nutritional information on an unsweetened Starbucks Tazo Shaken Iced Green Tea. I drink one of these per day (unless I need more of a caffeine kick from a coffee or something). Their site lists it as having 31 carbs with 31 grams of sugar, but I gotta assume that's referring to the sweetened version. In this case, they don't specify. Searching using Google & Bing keeps bringing up results for stupid "Passion Tea" or Green Tea Latte (ewww). Anyone have a clue on how many calories and sugars are saved when skipping the sweetened versions?

-  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Originally Posted by PhilsRHman

My latest blog entry, about the challenges of cooking in a calorie-conscious fashion:

Hey Ron, I read your post. On the eggs, if you want to save a few more calories and a good bit of cholesterol, skip the eggs and do egg beaters. Not bad on the calorie count on the pepperoni, was kinda surprised there. Try out turkey bacon too. 35 calories per slice, 3g fat (1g saturated), only 15 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 0 carbs, and 2g protein. Drop a couple of slices in the microwave, wrapped up in a paper towel (to catch any grease), and nuke for a couple of minutes. Just as good as the real thing, and is killer with breakfast or during lunch, on top of a turkey sandwich.

Definitely some good info in your post. You've given me a few good ideas to change some meals up. Thanks

-  -  - 

I'll play some sort of game.  I've been pretty big into working out and have changed my body/life style very much in two years.  I don't feel like I'm on a diet.  It is just the way I eat now.  I still got plenty of fat to lose but it is harder now than ever and I'm unmotivated.

My two cents about wieght lose is it can't just be a diet or excercise.  It has to be a combination of the two.  It is really motivating to me to eat better when I'm working out hard.  I feel like I don't want to waste what I just did and sweated my a## off for two hours. And then to keep wieght off it has to be a life style and not a diet.  I couldn't imagine not working out for a week.  It would just feel wierd.  I have really bad meals b/c I love to eat but I couldn't imagine eating poorly all the time.  I just feel gross.  I can't believe I used to eat that way all the time.

Brian

Originally Posted by ControlJunkie

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilsRHman

Hey Ron, I read your post. On the eggs, if you want to save a few more calories and a good bit of cholesterol, skip the eggs and do egg beaters. Not bad on the calorie count on the pepperoni, was kinda surprised there. Try out turkey bacon too. 35 calories per slice, 3g fat (1g saturated), only 15 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 0 carbs, and 2g protein. Drop a couple of slices in the microwave, wrapped up in a paper towel (to catch any grease), and nuke for a couple of minutes. Just as good as the real thing, and is killer with breakfast or during lunch, on top of a turkey sandwich.

Definitely some good info in your post. You've given me a few good ideas to change some meals up. Thanks

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the tips. I'm definitely going to pick up some egg beaters. My biggest issue with breakfast right now is that I need something quick that I can take on the commute to work. Hard boiled eggs just just the trick. But you're right, egg beaters will be better when I'm eating at home. As for the pepperoni, those 10 slices were not very much. Honestly, that 100 calories didn't go very far at all, but it gave a nice taste. Certainly better ways to spend 100 cal. I'll try the turkey bacon, sounds like a good option. I've had turkey pepperoni which is much healthier but it was on the dry side. All about experimenting right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsRHman View Post

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the tips. I'm definitely going to pick up some egg beaters. My biggest issue with breakfast right now is that I need something quick that I can take on the commute to work. Hard boiled eggs just just the trick.

I do the egg beaters on the weekend, but I've got the same exact problem during the week, gotta have something for the commute because I'm in a rush in the mornings. Guess I could always pound the egg beaters, Balboa-style . It kinda sucks, almost forced to eat some sort of cereal bar or something similar and rely on milk for a decent source of protein. The hard boiled eggs are a good idea for the week, I didn't think about it like that. Once they're boiled, they can be refrigerated, right? Like, boil a bunch on Sunday and have them ready for the work week? (Kinda embarrassed by the fact that I've lived by myself for almost 10 years and I don't know that)

And I wish fast food didn't suck so much. It blows my mind that no one offers anything quick and healthy. Would it be that hard for one of these places to offer egg whites on wheat toast (not soaked in grease) with some sort of low-fat cheese? I guess the same goes for all meals, not just breakfast. I know Subway offers breakfast now, but I've never been through a quick Subway. Takes probably as much time as it would for me to cook something myself, which defeats the purpose. Maybe I can open something like that, become a millionaire, and then be able to play golf every day. Might be on to something here...

-  -  - 

Yeah, you can stick hard boiled eggs in the fridge. I'd say at least 5-6 days. I leave them in the shell, and also keep them in a container or ziploc bag cause they can stink a bit if one cracks. I make a dozen at a time cause they're a good snack (70 cal each egg) on the go. I know there are cholesterol issues but I'd much rather start my day with some protein than a cereal bar every morning.

Funny you mention fast food. Working in NYC, there are a million delivery options for lunch and dinner but I always find myself ordering something awful, even from a somewhat healthy place. But the thing I'm loving about this Energy Kitchen place is they actually strive to make things healthy. Aside from the fact they are making a menu for me to start, but they all the calories posted, they don't fry anything, and they don't stick a lot of junk into the food. Even stuff like the chicken, whereas it seems so many places now use processed chicken-looking things, it's amazing how much better a chicken sandwich can be with a real piece of meat.

That's not to say I don't have lots of temptations, but in my latest blog post, I write about how I look at the nutritional info of stuff I'm craving and realize just how absurd it is (especially in the volume I'd normally eat it). Watching football without junk this weekend was especially tough: http://www.metro.us/newyork/blog/post/740443--the-hard-habit-of-poor-eating

Originally Posted by iacas

How about we start a thread in which everyone can post a bi-weekly or tri-weekly weigh-in, and perhaps put their goals or something in their signatures?

They say you shouldn't go to the gym by yourself because a buddy will help you keep up the habit, well, we can do a similar thing here. I'm up for doing whatever y'all need or want or think is best.

I'm in as my wife and I started this in November, but I still have my numbers when I started and now.  I actually weighed in today.  I suggest that if we start a "Weigh in thread" that we keep it just that and don't have to scroll through pages and pages of a lot of talking before the next weight reply. Maybe use this thread for the discussion and the "weigh in thread" just for numbers and such.  Or would that be too much?

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

IF only i liked hard boiled eggs.. Though i liked them scrambled, so i just make a small omlet with spinach and wrap it in plastic wrap, easy carry..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

A few of the OP's link's theories are just wives tales.

1. Weighing yourself daily.

DO NOT DO THIS. Body weight fluxuates too much. What are you gonna do one morning after you had a good workout and your diet was perfect and you gained half a pound? Give up? Don't do it. Weigh yourself ONCE A WEEK. I chose saturday mornings pre-breakfast so it was nice and uniform.

2. Eating after dinner.

I almost always have a shake or a few nuts post dinner. Don't starve yourself because you believe everything you eat after 6 will turn to fat.

3. Don't eat 3 meals a day.

Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day. It'll increase your metabolism and keep you going.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

Weight isn't important don't concentrate on that as much as body composition.  If you workout there is a high possibility you will gain some muscle(which weighs more than fat) now say you are just focusing on your weight you would be like why can't i get down below 200?  or why am i gaining weight and then get discouraged in quit.. so don't worry so much about weight. you can have a ton of water weight which can easily be manipulated causing you to lose 5-10lbs.

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

Originally Posted by bkoguy07

Weight isn't important don't concentrate on that as much as body composition.  If you workout there is a high possibility you will gain some muscle(which weighs more than fat) now say you are just focusing on your weight you would be like why can't i get down below 200?  or why am i gaining weight and then get discouraged in quit.. so don't worry so much about weight. you can have a ton of water weight which can easily be manipulated causing you to lose 5-10lbs.

Ha. Gonna be picky here. 1 lb of muscle=1 lb of fat, but yes muscle is absolutely more dense than fat.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

Originally Posted by CassinoNorth

A few of the OP's link's theories are just wives tales.

1. Weighing yourself daily.

DO NOT DO THIS. Body weight fluxuates too much. What are you gonna do one morning after you had a good workout and your diet was perfect and you gained half a pound? Give up? Don't do it. Weigh yourself ONCE A WEEK. I chose saturday mornings pre-breakfast so it was nice and uniform.

2. Eating after dinner.

I almost always have a shake or a few nuts post dinner. Don't starve yourself because you believe everything you eat after 6 will turn to fat.

3. Don't eat 3 meals a day.

Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day. It'll increase your metabolism and keep you going.

1) I agree don't weigh yourself every day....especially if you are eating low carb.  If you are eating low carb, your weight will fluctuate frequently.  If you are lifting weights too, I wouldn't base my progress on weight any way.  I would use pictures or the mirror or my clothes.  Because as mentioned in another reply, muscle is more "dense" than fat and will produce a different result on the scale. If you do weigh, make it consistent.  Like, weigh naked first thing in the morning after you have gone to the bathroom....do it the same way every time.  Ive seen guys that were fat and weighed 200, for example.  They starting eating more healthy and working out and ended up with low body fat and lean, but still weighed 200.  It's a body recomp

2) I also agree with this.  Bodybuilders set their alarms and get up at 2, 3, 4 am just to eat....are they fat?  Be careful with the nuts though.  I, along with some friends, tend to hold weight or even gain a little while eating nuts.

3)  I agree with this and I disagree with this.  Eating 5-6 smaller meals a day is good, but it's not a must. It has been proven that you don't have to do this to get lean.  Google the Warrior Diet and you will understand. Basically you fast 18-20 hours of the day and the feast the other 4.  I know MANY people that have done this diet ( a way of life really) and have become shredded and felt better than they ever have.  And this includes one of the best trainers that I knew!  So you don't necessarilly have to eat every few hours during the day.

If you are working out, this is good advice.  Muscle also holds a little more water which will tend to make you weigh more as well.

Originally Posted by CassinoNorth

Quote:

Ha. Gonna be picky here. 1 lb of muscle=1 lb of fat, but yes muscle is absolutely more dense than fat.

Haha!!  I have been called on this many times!  I used to always say that muscle weighed more than fat, and every time one of my friends would say this exact same thing.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 4803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!